Why the West and the rest of the world will equalize by the end of the century

TheLastEmperorReurns

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
While the rest of the world is seeing a social transformation where pre-modernism contests against modernism, the West is hosting an intellectual battle between modernism and post-modernism.

Pre-modernism is stagnation.

Modernism is progress.

Post-modernism is regression.

post-modernism-table.jpg

I think for sure world be more multipolar but it is hard to predict who is on top. I think stuff will explode and things people say ¨´´´wont ever happen´´´´ will happen. Be interesting to see.

pre modernism is most cool!!! have to admit we live in a weird time especially western countries. I feel it cannot last it like so many humans lost meaning. I think it same also for religious extremists most of them at least are so upset by things they go super hardcore and pretend they have it all figured out they are coping. <17><BirdieOwn><{1-69}><{luvbruh}><GinJuice>

what is postmodernism OP

To explain what it is as a school of philosophy is a task beyond my level of education and intellectual competency.

I don't care what it means in the art world either as I'm not an aesthetician.

However, in the mainstream political discourse of today, you can think of it as one of the main influences behind the crazy left-wing SJW brigade that's going batshit crazy on the streets.

Most of these people probably don't even understand what postmodernism is, but it's a skeptic attitude towards science & reason. Things that most of society and the field of science have recognized to be true [or extremely likely to be true] are treated as subjective/relative.

You can see postmodernism exemplified in the following themes reoccurring in SJW rhetoric:
  • Gender/Race (or in general, biological identity) are social constructs
  • Achievement/success/beauty realized through hard work and talent is subject to criticism or indifference. Everyone is always completely equal and any system of hierarchy and merit-based rewarding are wrong and unfounded.
It might seem like an abstract academic topic that's irrelevant/unimportant to regular people in everyday life, but it trickles down into the mainstream in the following ways:
  • Hard-working students don't get recognized for their grades/effort. The "everybody's a winner" mindset is largely influenced by postmodernism.
  • The bullshit culture-war over Caitlyn Janner and social consequences of criticizing the mainstream attitude towards transgenderism are largely the results of postmodernism.
  • The crazy turn that feminism took in the 80s/90s from literal equality of opportunity to complete reconfiguration of society in an attempt to force equality of outcome.

Here's another example of modernism vs. post-modernism in the West:

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/a...-concept-of-biological-sex-in-canada.3731895/

Modernism: Science & Reason give us the understanding that sex is real and that it is the result of biological forces. There are physical and by extension, brain-related, and by extension, mental, differences between men and women that has social implications for society.

Post-modernism: Sex is a social construct. It's all in the environment [the way that children are conditioned from infancy]. This social construct, as nearly all social constructs, is also bigotted/racist/sexist. Let's dismantle it.

Here's another example of modernism vs. post-modernism in the West:

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/a...-concept-of-biological-sex-in-canada.3731895/

Modernism: Science & Reason give us the understanding that sex is real and that it is the result of biological forces. There are physical and by extension, brain-related, and by extension, mental, differences between men and women that has social implications for society.

Post-modernism: Sex is a social construct. It's all in the environment [the way that children are conditioned from infancy]. This social construct, as nearly all social constructs, is also bigotted/racist/sexist. Let's dismantle it.
Gender is a social construct. Sex is not a social construct though. They're 2 different words. Stop using them incorrectly and you won't be confused.

Gender used to mean the same thing as sex, though. That's why you're confused. The definition of the word has been changed and updated and you don't use it correctly anymore.

The word change was done that way by design though. It was meant to confuse you. That's why they changed the definition of an old word instead of just making a new word.

Gender is a social construct. Not sex.

Gender used to mean the same thing as sex, though. That's why you're confused. The definition of the word has been changed and updated and you don't use it correctly anymore.

The word change was done that way by design though. It was meant to confuse you. That's why they changed the definition of an old word instead of just making a new word.

Ironically enough, the change in the way we understand that word was pushed by postmodernists:

The modern academic sense of the word, in the context of social roles of men and women, dates at least back to 1945,[14] and was popularized and developed by the feminist movement from the 1970s onwards (see § Feminism theory and gender studies below). The theory was that human nature is essentially epicene and social distinctions based on sex are arbitrarily constructed. Matters pertaining to this theoretical process of social construction were labelled matters of gender.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender#cite_note-14

http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/77468

Ironically enough, the change in the way we understand that word was pushed by postmodernists:

Man I don't know all this stuff about postmodernism and all this academic language. I'm not that smart and frankly, I think using big words like that just gets you lost in the details. It also makes you way too ideological and ideology is the enemy of truth and reason.

What happened is, instead of just making new words, they changed the definitions of old words to new definitions. Then when people use the old words with the old definitions, they get to -- correctly -- claim that you're wrong and dismiss your opinion. It's a dishonest tactic and if it was honest, they would be making new words instead.

Same thing with the words male, female, etc. You use the 1950 definition of male and the discussion stops right there. If this was an honest discussion, there would just be new words for different mixtures of transgenderism and sex, not just male and female, and then the discussion could move forward. There would be one word for cisgender male and female and another word to distinguish between non-cisgender male and females. Right now, there's no word to distinguish between the 2 concepts and so the 2 concepts can't even be discussed. That was done intentionally.

Instead of debating in the realm of ideas, this debate has devolved into playing with words. Before we even start talking about ideas with each other, we're already yelling at each other over what a male/ female/ gender/ sex/ transgender is. I think it's intentional so that ideas never get thought about. Free thinking and open debate is not the goal here.

I thought this thread was about something else. but if the west and the rest of the world equal out, it won't be because of modernism or post modernism or if kids are entitled or any of the culture issues.

it will be because the developing world is catching up due to urbanization. As rural populations moving into urban cores, you will see higher growth due to higher wages. One billion people will enter the global consuming class by 2025. They will have incomes high enough to classify them as significant consumers of goods and services, and around 600 million of them will live in the roughly 400 cities in the developing world. it's called the emerging 440 in consultant speak but think of regional centers like Tianjin, Manilla, etc.

I don't think a fisher in Madagascar has the slightest idea if his country is pursuing modern or post modernism. he just wants to move and earn a better life. so let him move and we can compete. that's the challenge to west and how we can be great again.

Back