Why The United States Is A Christian Nation:

dissolved

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I encourage you all to watch this through to the end whether you are an atheist, Christian or other. The piece touches on the constitution and why it only works so long as the majority maintain a moral, religious base grounded in Christianity (as even expressly talked about by founding fathers).

Again, worth the watch all the way through:

Last edited:
If your god exists, I'm pretty sure he doesn't care about your petty little borders and nations.

Virginia Statue for Religious Freedom FTMFW. Get Jeff'd, queers.

322d9bedce0ca424c763c359f7efdf9b.jpg

Regardless of what you all think, I hope you watched the video all the way through.

The video really does not make any arguments, just string together a bunch of quotes for the most part. That sole good argument having to do with morality is decent, but you don't need religion to be moral.

hmmmm...smells like bullshit.

Look at a couple founding fathers.

Paine was pretty much an atheist who argued for reason and free thought and criticized Christianity.

Adams and Jefferson were Deists. Jefferson did not believe in a personal Christian like god.

Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law.
Thomas Jefferson

Makes sense... Free will

1 Corinthians 10:13
No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

The video really does not make any arguments, just string together a bunch of quotes for the most part. That sole good argument having to do with morality is decent, but you don't need religion to be moral.
Nailed it!

Our morals evolved over the past 45 billion years...or was that 50 billion???

Makes sense... Free will

1 Corinthians 10:13
No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

Austin 3:16

says I just whooped your ass

The end did not really explain why religion was needed.

With religion there will not be protests at colleges?

The idea that God gave people freedom from chaos so we must keep God to keep chaos from recurring wasn't explained.

And people can have moral absolutes without religion.

Really the problem with the end is that it assumes one cannot have morality without religion and that is not true.

The end did not really explain why religion was needed.

Shocking.

To me morality is easily derived from empathy, which is far more observable than mythical Gods. Kind of a bummer if threat of eternal damnation is the only way to gain cooperation and compliance.

'The government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion.' Treaty of Tripoli signed by John Adams.

Meh, most people who identify as Christians are just bullshitters. If they truly believed the gospel they would act different than they do.

Which version of Christianity should the US follow?

The version the South used to justify the practice of slavery?

"slaves, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling" (Ephesians 6:5),

"tell slaves to be submissive to their masters and to give satisfaction in every respect" (Titus 2:9).

Christians who wanted to preserve slavery could use the Bible to back them up. If they were wrong, how do you know your interpretation is right today?

An interesting part of the video, was Socrates words about how when people become obsessed with their own wants, pleasures and desires, they begin to vote for this over the greater good. This leads to tyranny.

I believe this is demonstrated best by the majority of voters for the Democratic party.

Finally, whatever you may think of religion, I think it's arguable that it has a place in the checks and balances that maintain morality.

Back