Why The Outrage About the iPhone/Healthcare Comments?

PCP319

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I don't get it. All I saw was the MSM and the left bashing him constantly. Saying he attacked the poor. What the hell...how? By giving them a dose or reality?

If you're poor, you can't afford to NOT make those tough financial decisions. He doesn't need to tell rich people to choose, because rich people can afford both. Poor people can't. They whine and whine about how they can't afford healthcare, but then they still have expensive cars and nice, new iPhones.

My best guess would just be that the left are being crybullies, and don't want the poor to be accountable for their own bad decisions.

afb.png

1l2tiw.jpg

In summation, it is a stupid argument.

It is the 2017 version of "buying that new flat screen". As if that is the actual problem.

It is the 2017 version of "buying that new flat screen". As if that is the actual problem.
Just because the costs of healthcare outweighs the costs of an iPhone doesn't change the fact that poor people often choose to make very poor financial decisions, choosing to buy luxuries rather than necessities. He could have just as easily said to not finance $20k cars, and have a $300/month payment when you can't afford to pay rent.

Just because the costs of healthcare outweighs the costs of an iPhone doesn't change the fact that poor people often choose to make very poor financial decisions, choosing to buy luxuries rather than necessities. He could have just as easily said to not finance $20k cars, and have a $300/month payment when you can't afford to pay rent.
I think you have a pretty big misconception here. Yes, some people are poor because they are stupid with money, but most are that way due to lack of earnings, not too much spendings. You cannot save money to get out of poverty.

I mean, at the heart of the statement, he is correct, that if you have to choose between a luxury item and something essential like healthcare, then you should choose healthcare. The problem is that people are typically choosing between food and healthcare. Or rent and healthcare, etc.

I think you have a pretty big misconception here. Yes, some people are poor because they are stupid with money, but most are that way due to lack of earnings, not too much spendings. You cannot save money to get out of poverty.
I wholeheartedly disagree with this. You can definitely save a significant amount even with low earnings. It's spending that kills you. For thousands of examples, go to the MrMoneyMustache forums. They have some amazing content (and a bunch of case studies where people making around $30k/year retired multimillionaires).

I mean, at the heart of the statement, he is correct, that if you have to choose between a luxury item and something essential like healthcare, then you should choose healthcare. The problem is that people are typically choosing between food and healthcare. Or rent and healthcare, etc.

Why do you think they lack the ability to not earn a decent living? Lack of jobs? Lack of education/training?

Parents need to teach their kids early on how to manage money.

Why do you think they lack the ability to not earn a decent living? Lack of jobs? Lack of education/training?

Parents need to teach their kids early on how to manage money.
Lack of decent paying jobs. Wage stagnation. Single income households. Child care taking a huge swath of income. Tons of reasons.

I am not really talking about a single person, but a family unit that causes the insurance costs to get outrageous.

It was an example and probably not a good one. The outrage is fake outrage by the anti-Drumpf movement. Several politicians, including Barack Obama said similar things and there never was a big outrage and rightfully so.
I think you have a pretty big misconception here. Yes, some people are poor because they are stupid with money, but most are that way due to lack of earnings, not too much spendings
Since you're talking about "most": Most poor people in the united states don't work a lot, that's why they suffer from a lack of earnings. And that's -not in all cases but often- also by choice.
Low-Earners with family income below poverty work 938 annual hours on average [1]. That's 18 hours a week at a low wage, $3.9 on average. It's not hard to find such a job if you're willing to do shitty work, and if they worked 36 hours a week in two jobs, they wouldn't be poor anymore.

1. external link, pdf download: https://www.census.gov/sipp/workpapr/wp119.pdf

afb.png

1l2tiw.jpg

Hrm... If you're pissed off because this guy made a grossly oversimplified claim which is insensitive, inaccurate, and misleading, why are you posting memes for health insurance using the median healthcare costs and including one person's iPhone without the monthly cost of that iPhone added on - and, on top of that, presenting it in a way that many poor people likely won't buy because they can't afford the upfront cost of buying an unlocked phone rather than an on-contract one that costs far more throughout the year? You do know what median is, right? And you do know why it probably doesn't reflect anything close to the number which an actual poor person/family will be paying? It's not hard to find out what a low income family will actually pay for healthcare but you chose to go this route instead. Why?

If you're actually looking for an honest breakdown on this, why not start with something like this:

http://www.webmd.com/health-insurance/insurance-costs/insurance-cost-calculator

And I'm sure there are far better sources.

Honestly, I'm 100% in support of a more comprehensive, better universal healthcare plan than the ACA. I'm not talking Trump "better" - I'm talking Canada better. There are countless legitimate reasons to argue for this though without presenting half-assed misleading "truths" like you're doing here.

Last edited:
Hrm... If you're pissed off because this guy made a grossly oversimplified claim which is insensitive, inaccurate, and misleading, why are you posting memes for health insurance using the median healthcare costs and including one person's iPhone without the monthly cost of that iPhone added on - and, on top of that, presenting it in a way that many poor people likely won't buy because they can't afford the upfront cost of buying an unlocked phone rather than an on-contract one that costs far more throughout the year? You do know what median is, right? And you do know why it probably doesn't reflect anything close to the number which an actual poor person/family will be paying? It's not hard to find out what a low income family will actually pay for healthcare but you chose to go this route instead. Why?

If you're actually looking for an honest breakdown on this, why not start with something like this:

http://www.webmd.com/health-insurance/insurance-costs/insurance-cost-calculator

And I'm sure there are far better sources.

Honestly, I'm 100% in support of a more comprehensive, better universal healthcare plan than the ACA. I'm not talking Trump better - I'm talking Canada better. There are countless legitimate reasons to argue for this though without presenting half-assed misleading "truths" like you're doing here.
The op posited a question in an aggresive manner, about an issue from weeks ago, without even mentioning anything about the issue.

I put as much effort into my response as he did into his op. That is all it was.

Lack of decent paying jobs. Wage stagnation. Single income households. Child care taking a huge swath of income. Tons of reasons.

I am not really talking about a single person, but a family unit that causes the insurance costs to get outrageous.

I hear ya . . . it really is sad how some areas of the country that were once flourishing with industry and jobs are now desolate and falling apart.

The op posited a question in an aggresive manner, about an issue from weeks ago, without even mentioning anything about the issue.

I put as much effort into my response as he did into his op. That is all it was.

Fair enough. I withdraw my complaint. One who plays with twatnozzles deserves to be twatnozzled. The OP is stupid... It's a complex issue and simple treatments don't do it, or anyone associated with it, justice.

I don't get it. All I saw was the MSM and the left bashing him constantly. Saying he attacked the poor. What the hell...how? By giving them a dose or reality?

If you're poor, you can't afford to NOT make those tough financial decisions. He doesn't need to tell rich people to choose, because rich people can afford both. Poor people can't. They whine and whine about how they can't afford healthcare, but then they still have expensive cars and nice, new iPhones.

My best guess would just be that the left are being crybullies, and don't want the poor to be accountable for their own bad decisions.
What I don't get is why you'd start a thread in the middle of the conversation. Who? What the fuck are you talking about? Introduce the subject, ffs

It's an attempt to divide the lower classes and have them blame each other for the lack of available affordable health care, coming from someone in government. What he should be doing, instead of making up an easily approachable false reason for the problem, is facing it head on and working towards a real solution.

It's very lazy. You've got a government that could literally end all life on this planet, but can't enforce cost controls on health care? I understand that these are much different activities, but the power is there if anybody had the will to do it.

Buying a $700 cellphone is stupid IMO. Too many $100 android phones around. I have a mortgage to pay, paid off vehicle that runs ok. My son was able to buy his own PS4 doing paper routes. The only thing I have spend a tad bit of money is fly fishing gear but that was 2 years ago.

Buying a $700 cellphone is stupid IMO. Too many $100 android phones around. I have a mortgage to pay, paid off vehicle that runs ok. My son was able to buy his own PS4 doing paper routes. The only thing I have spend a tad bit of money is fly fishing gear but that was 2 years ago.

<{poor?}>

Boohoo poor people can't buy the newest Iphone every year .... who gives a fuck. Get a better job if you want a fancy phone, you can do the same shit with a cheap one.

It's an attempt to divide the lower classes and have them blame each other for the lack of available affordable health care, coming from someone in government. What he should be doing, instead of making up an easily approachable false reason for the problem, is facing it head on and working towards a real solution.

It's very lazy. You've got a government that could literally end all life on this planet, but can't enforce cost controls on health care? I understand that these are much different activities, but the power is there if anybody had the will to do it.
No, it's an attempt to have the poor take responsibility for their bad financial decisions. Every little thing adds up.

Oh you're one of those dumb people who owns Iphones I see....It's good for sherdog posts...

I have a Google Pixel XL for a personal phone and a Note 7 that I didn't return.

I have an iPhone 6 for work and it sucks.

Back