Why Rickson Gracie hates berimbolo (and 50-50) --

I'm not sure what he is going to say but it will probably translate into "I'm a superstar of a niche sport worried about no longer having a vocal monopoly on said niche sport. "

Actually, he went on a rant about having sex with your mother. You might want to read it . . . or not.

Berimbolo is not my cup of tea. I like 50-50 only when heel hook is allowed. In gi BJJ when heel hook is not allowed, 50-50 is so pointless and so easy to stall.

IDK man. I use 50-50 a lot in gi and have got plenty of ankle locks, knee bars and toe holds (Even some in competition). It may be used to stall for competition strategy but I always fight to get out or get up if I can't hit a leg lock. It is more versatile than you may think.

Your statement is like If you asked "what's a minigun" and we showed you a picture and you replied, "ah, so it's just a bullet then. "

Heel hooks are a submission. 50/50 is a position you can do heel hooks from. It's called 50/50 because both people can heel hook each other equally when in traditional leg lock positions one person has a slight positional advantage.

It's deeper then that but that's the basic.
Just never heard the term 50/50 before, we used to call North/South, 50/50 back in the day, the position that is now 50/50, we just used to call "The heel hook position"

IDK man. I use 50-50 a lot in gi and have got plenty of ankle locks, knee bars and toe holds (Even some in competition). It may be used to stall for competition strategy but I always fight to get out or get up if I can't hit a leg lock. It is more versatile than you may think.

There ate tons of attscks from 50/50 And they all work at the gym, but for some reason, mother fuckers don't tap from straight ankle locks and toe holds at the elite bb level, so it's seen as merely stalling or looking for advantages strategy... We all seen horrible pictures of foots that should not be twisted in the way they were...

Just never heard the term 50/50 before, we used to call North/South, 50/50 back in the day, the position that is now 50/50, we just used to call "The heel hook position"
Dude, no one cares, if you want to learn what it is go Google it.

I think he means the North/Soutg position was called the 50/50 back in the day.

Makes sense.

thats what I meant, it doesnt make sense to me... 69 was the old North/South... that makes sense...

After reading the interview, I can't help but agree...those kids do need to get off my lawn.

There ate tons of attscks from 50/50 And they all work at the gym, but for some reason, mother fuckers don't tap from straight ankle locks and toe holds at the elite bb level, so it's seen as merely stalling or looking for advantages strategy... We all seen horrible pictures of foots that should not be twisted in the way they were...

Very true, but elite BBs are in a league of their own and small % of BJJ. We can't discredit a position simply because a very small % of elite athletes have the ability to stall with it, was really my point.

Very true, but elite BBs are in a league of their own and small % of BJJ. We can't discredit a position simply because a very small % of elite athletes have the ability to stall with it, was really my point.

Elite level players have been tapped from 50/50, Caio Terra/Otavio Souza/Marcio Andre.
It's ties up the fight a lot if neither or both guys know what they are doing from there.

I think the Estima brothers are a counterpoint to the theory of ankle immunity

It's actually the position for the inverted heel hook. You guys need to update your nomenclature.

Elite level players have been tapped from 50/50, Caio Terra/Otavio Souza/Marcio Andre.
It's ties up the fight a lot if neither or both guys know what they are doing from there.
It's very rare but it has happened ...

Back