WHY PEOPLE KEEP REAR-ENDING SELF-DRIVING CARS

Can Google or Apple be sued when their self-driving cars kill people?

within a hundred years, we will look back on the 20th century and find it comical how society found it acceptable for everyone to operate 2 ton steel machines with the capability to kill a crowd. It will seem even more anachronistic than horse and carriage do to us. And like horses, it will only exist as a hobby for the rich.

They'll probably be impressed we didn't kill each other more than we do now. The amount of near misses I've seen for stuff like motorcycles where the guy 100% would have died I can't even begin to count.

But everyone here at sherdog told me self driving cars are the future and we wont have a choice. People dont seem to realize technology glitches and crashes all the time and to trust your life to it is a big mistake. It wont be until the roads are redone with sensors and other things that autonomous vehicles will ever be a reality. To expect them to work in the world the way it is now is asking for problems.
They could make them like elevators.

Elevators are controlled by a computer but if anything ever goes wrong it activates manual brakes that lock it in place and keep it from falling.

Elevators are now incredibly safe because of all the fail-safes they've put in.

Cars could be the same way. You could make it so that anytime the system behaves in an unexpected way, you have a back up system that shuts off the engine and brings it to a stop. The back up system could be as simple as a calculator, to minimize the chance of that system also experiencing errors.

this points the fault at the human drivers because the self driving cars are being rear ended. You have an illogical stubbornness regarding this issue. It's currently far from perfect but still exponentially safer than other human drivers.
How can we truly know if it’s safer, until we have hundreds of thousands of these AVs out on the road?

Btw, are we truly getting this frickin lazy that we don’t want to drive anymore!?

How can we truly know if it’s safer, until we have hundreds of thousands of these AVs out on the road?

Btw, are we truly getting this frickin lazy that we don’t want to drive anymore!?

It has nothing to do with laziness and everything to do with the thousands of deaths every year. Seriously think about it. All drunk driving related deaths, gone.

so self driving cars tend to get slammed from behind.
they sound gay, not that there's anything wrong with that.

I’m not reading the whole OP but got to the part where not everyone is ‘signed on’.. lol

Let me tell you something, I build and own classic hot rods/muscle cars and I love driving/operating them. I love to drive in fact.. I will never ‘sign on’ to this shit personally. To each their own if someone doesn’t want to drive -but this type of shit isn’t for me.

It has nothing to do with laziness and everything to do with the thousands of deaths every year. Seriously think about it. All drunk driving related deaths, gone.
How is a drunk driver supposed to operate an AV? I’m sure you gotta give it some commands, at least, right?

How is a drunk driver supposed to operate an AV? I’m sure you gotta give it some commands, at least, right?

It will get to a point where you can just say take me home or your friend can just get in and tell it to take you home. They already caught a guy in Cali sleeping in his car while it drove him to work. I guarantee you he was doing that long before they caught him.

It will get to a point where you can just say take me home or your friend can just get in and tell it to take you home. They already caught a guy in Cali sleeping in his car while it drove him to work. I guarantee you he was doing that long before they caught him.
I don’t know man. If history has taught us anything, it’s that anything meant for good, humanity will eventually reverse its original intention.

My point is that even with the current infrastructure it is safer- the danger as always is the unpredictability of human drivers. And I say this as someone who loves driving- it is absurd for society to revolve around an activity that has such a high fatality rate.
My point was based on how the technology works now. Everything is based on sensors and GPS to read current road conditions. Painted lanes and crosswalks, traffic lights etc. Problems arise when you go into poorer areas that dont have proper road conditions and now that vehicle that relies on certain information such as painted lanes have nothing to read. Or a sensor reads a speedbump as a hazard and slams on its breaks. Once the DOT agrees on a standard that all autonomous cars can interact with and implement that on the streets, then we will have a safe solution.

I don’t know man. If history has taught us anything, it’s that anything meant for good, humanity will eventually reverse its original intention.

I mean sure there is always a possibility things can go wrong but it's not like were doing great right now either way. About 2000 kids under 16 die every year in auto accidents. 32,000 people died in 2011 not sure what the more recent numbers look like but I doubt it's changed much.

At the end of the day if we have a possibility to stop this many deaths we should try it. If something goes wrong we can cross that bridge when we get to it. I've never been a fan of halting innovation from fear of the repercussions though.

My point was based on how the technology works now. Everything is based on sensors and GPS to read current road conditions. Painted lanes and crosswalks, traffic lights etc. Problems arise when you go into poorer areas that dont have proper road conditions and now that vehicle that relies on certain information such as painted lanes have nothing to read. Or a sensor reads a speedbump as a hazard and slams on its breaks. Once the DOT agrees on a standard that all autonomous cars can interact with and implement that on the streets, then we will have a safe solution.

Your right about the poorly constructed roads but for that we can just have to car go into manual mode for now until that system can be perfected. The real danger is on the highways that's where I imagine most of the people are dying.

People don't even come to a full stop at stop signs anymore. Just slowing down and rolling through.

Can't wait to retire away from the city. Everyone is in such a damn hurry.

I mean sure there is always a possibility things can go wrong but it's not like were doing great right now either way. About 2000 kids under 16 die every year in auto accidents. 32,000 people died in 2011 not sure what the more recent numbers look like but I doubt it's changed much.

At the end of the day if we have a possibility to stop this many deaths we should try it. If something goes wrong we can cross that bridge when we get to it. I've never been a fan of halting innovation from fear of the repercussions though.

Out of all the people on the road, that’s not a large % of deaths. Now times all those people on the road by how many times they operate their vehicle per year and that number is even less significant imo.

I get where you’re going, but using this stat as a spring board Vs taking away a feeedom.. I’m not a fan. That’s me tho. Part of driving is the freedom aspect btw, that may seem insignificant to you, but many others will feel different, and there’s nothing wrong with that. And you lose that total freedom when everything is plugged into a grid and controlled jointly. You could argue that computer tech in cars already takes away some of what I’m mentioning.. but not to the degree of your car literally driving itself.

There are tons and tons of issues I can think of off the top of my head that can fuck with automatic cars.. hackers right off the bat would be an issue. Imagine going to war with a country, and they hack into your road system and shut down everyone’s ability to travel in the country. That’s just an example.

I’ll take the 30,000 deaths a year over that.

Out of all the people on the road, that’s not a large % of deaths. Now times all those people on the road by how many times they operate their vehicle per year and that number is even less significant imo.

I get where you’re going, but using this stat as a spring board Vs taking away a feeedom.. I’m not a fan. That’s me tho. Part of driving is the freedom aspect btw, that may seem insignificant to you, but many others will feel different, and there’s nothing wrong with that. And you lose that total freedom when everything is plugged into a grid and controlled jointly. You could argue that computer tech in cars already takes away some of what I’m mentioning.. but not to the degree of your car literally driving itself.

There are tons and tons of issues I can think of off the top of my head that can fuck with automatic cars.. hackers right off the bat would be an issue. Imagine going to war with a country, and they hack into your road system and shut down everyone’s ability to travel in the country. That’s just an example.

I’ll take the 30,000 deaths a year over that.

I get it that people don't want to lose their freedom to drive I really do. It's just not that big of a deal to me and I think it's worth the sacrifice. Perhaps we can make it so people can choose to go manual if they want. Most will choose to go with the automatic driving at that point.

As far as hackers getting into our cars that's coming whether we choose to use AI driving or not. There are already cars out there that can be hacked so it's only a matter of time before every car can be. We can just have a manual mode that you can turn on if necessary. There's so many things that can be hacked in our country today that could destroy us, our vehicles should be the least of our worries.

Honestly my main reason for wanting everyone to be forced to use AI driving is because of uninsured motorist. I've had my car hit twice within a year from people who don't have insurance and both times I was rear ended. My insurance is through the roof now because I never had uninsured motorist on my plan.

It isn't not wanting to, it's the ability to concentrate while driving that's the problem.

Back