Why no Von Flue Choke???

prozach2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've been training in BJJ for about 12 years. If someone hold's a guillotine on me from side mount, they're getting choked out, immediately. The choke is known as the "Von Flue" choke b/c Jason Von Flue has used it in the UFC. If you don't know the choke I'm talking about, go away. If you do, please tell me why I've seen so many UFCs where the opportunity to end the fight with the choke has not been utilized? Even accomplished black belts in BJJ in the UFC don't attempt it? Why???

I'd just like to mention that the technique is not called the "Von Flue choke"... And the reason the technique isnt pulled off in MMA that often is because most of the players these days have some sort of BJJ training, and understand that a guillotine isn't very effective lying on your back in side mount.

I don't pretend to know the finer details of making it work, and I'm sure there are small details that I'm missing, but I've never had a high percentage rate with using it. If someone has a guillotine on me from side control I usually just secure my position and let them waste their energy.

Very few people I grapple with will waste their energy on a guillotine from side control.

which is why you don't see many Von Flue chokes in mma, if you ask me.

Agreed. Unless there is some variation on it that can be employed in standard side control.

If such a thing exists, I would love to learn it. But I think that if it did we would have seen it already. Someone, somewhere would have pulled it out somewhere.

I have been training BJJ for many years and have no idea what choke your talking about.

If someone holds on to the guillitone after i establish side control I armbar them with a quickness.

I have been training BJJ for many years and have no idea what choke your talking about.

If someone holds on to the guillitone after i establish side control I armbar them with a quickness.

Jason Von Flue used it to submit Alex Karalexis. In Strikeforce, or EliteXC, I can't remember now. It was odd, and I don't think anyone saw it coming. He had a name for it, in Japanese I believe. It's been a while now.

I don't pretend to know the finer details of making it work, and I'm sure there are small details that I'm missing, but I've never had a high percentage rate with using it. If someone has a guillotine on me from side control I usually just secure my position and let them waste their energy.

Very few people I grapple with will waste their energy on a guillotine from side control.

Here's how to make it work. If you have side control and the guy on his back has a guillotine with his right arm, take your left arm and clamp it around his right arm as tight as you can so his right arm can't escape. Take your left shoulder and work it under his jaw bone. Grab your left hand with your right hand and squeeze. Be careful not to get rolled. I got rolled a few times when I first started using it; since then, it's been 100%, for me and my students. Yet, every UFC I watch some jack ass holds the guillotine from his back and the guy on top does nothing.

Here's how to make it work. If you have side control and the guy on his back has a guillotine with his right arm, take your left arm and clamp it around his right arm as tight as you can so his right arm can't escape. Take your left shoulder and work it under his jaw bone. Grab your left hand with your right hand and squeeze. Be careful not to get rolled. I got rolled a few times when I first started using it; since then, it's been 100%, for me and my students. Yet, every UFC I watch some jack ass holds the guillotine from his back and the guy on top does nothing.

Interesting. I'll have to give that a shot. My instructor does something similar with the gi, but that would be an interesting variation for no-gi.

Thanks.

This choke was open all over tonight. I was wondering the same thing. Watch the Gurgel/Robinson fight, it's wide open for substantial periods of time, and that's a fight between a brown and a black belt.

I'd just like to mention that the technique is not called the "Von Flue choke"... And the reason the technique isnt pulled off in MMA that often is because most of the players these days have some sort of BJJ training, and understand that a guillotine isn't very effective lying on your back in side mount.

Apparently not, because tonight we had more than one person doing just that...problem is, on eof those people was a brown belt in BJJ!

I know that choke, but 100%? c'mon nothing is 100%

Something smells fishy, first off 12 yrs of bjj and you call it the Von Flue choke...

I know a guy that's been dabbling bjj for 12 years and he's no better than a blue belt... Tromberg is that you?

I know that choke, but 100%? c'mon nothing is 100%

Something smells fishy, first off 12 yrs of bjj and you call it the Von Flue choke...

I know a guy that's been dabbling bjj for 12 years and he's no better than a blue belt... Tromberg is that you?

LOL, 12 years and I'm a purple belt. No, not Tromberg.
Sorry if it sounded like I was bragging when I said 100% but nobody but white belts hold the guillotine from side mount anymore so yeah, when I go for the choke, I hit it 100%. As for the name of it, I call it the von flue choke. If you know it by another name, do tell.

What's a Tromberg? Wasn't that one of the Transformers?

Yeah, I don't think people generally waste their time and energy trying to pull off the guillotine in that position so they let go to try and improve their position. It looks like a pretty effective choke if they hang onto that guillotine though.

LOL, 12 years and I'm a purple belt. No, not Tromberg.
Sorry if it sounded like I was bragging when I said 100% but nobody but white belts hold the guillotine from side mount anymore so yeah, when I go for the choke, I hit it 100%. As for the name of it, I call it the von flue choke. If you know it by another name, do tell.

white belt noobs do alot of stupid shit that can easily be countered; nothing really to be excited about. especialy if you are a purple.

Back