Why no sidekicks in mma

dirtroller

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Why is the sidekick absent from mma?It's possible to do some damage with it when someone steps in to punch.I understand it can be caught but just like all other kick there is a time and place for it.Is there any reason why its not used frequently?

I was wondering that myself.
I think its because you rarely turn your side to your opponent.
Youd have to turn to your side, kick, then recover. Being a slower kick, the opponent would have too good of an opportunity to counter.

I was thinking of it more as a way to counter someone coming in with a punch up top that would leave his mid section open in many cases.

It really depends on your stance (more square vs off to one side), but for the most part people tend to stand a bit squarer in MMA so as better to defend the takedown. It takes too long to turn to the side to deliver this kick (too much telegraphing), the exception being following a missed roundhouse. I'd like to see more fighters throw a sidekick then.

deadlyshaolin said:
It really depends on your stance (more square vs off to one side), but for the most part people tend to stand a bit squarer in MMA so as better to defend the takedown. It takes too long to turn to the side to deliver this kick (too much telegraphing), the exception being following a missed roundhouse. I'd like to see more fighters throw a sidekick then.

you can throw a sidekick off a square stance so i think its just style bias.

The side kick can be a difficult kick to master for people who arent flexible or coordinated. Since its rarely a KO kick unless you nail someone in the ribs hard enopugh, most MMA fioghters probably think its not worht the effort.

it should be used when least expected, like an opener or something or after a feint.

Are there people who use sidekicks effectively in K1?

Takes too long to "load up" and leaves you in a very dangerous position if it's caught or if you miss; side kicks also require a certain amount of distance to actually execute so offensively, they're crap because they're so telegraphed...the teep is a FAR better alternative that doesn't have the weaknesses of a side kick...

I've trained WTF Tae Kwon Do since Feb 1993 and Muay Thai since March 2006...even with as little Muay Thai that I have, when I go back to TKD every so often just to pay my respects and say hello to my old training partners...when I spar and they try side kicks, I either parry or catch them easily; or hell, I just stuff them all together by taking an angled step around it and directly into them...This is with stand-up alone...imagine if it's full MMA rules and they can be clinched up or shot at for a takedown...

It's like every technique, there's a specific moment that it can be used. Like the axe kick (which I've seen successfully used in MMA), it is very powerful as a countering move.

We see the occasional spinning side kick in MMA, so it does exist in some form. I think most posters have it right, though, in regards to throwing a regular side kick with the back leg...it's too slow. Heck, you don't see it thrown that often in TKD sparring for the same reason.

I have thought, however, that side kicks thrown with the front leg could be quick enough. Certainly not as powerful as the rear leg, but they should be fairly quick, and have a nice line to strike the opponent's ribs/body. Probably best thrown off a short hop/skip to get a little more power. I'd imagine the first time or two someone saw you throw it, they'd expect a front-leg roundhouse and left their leg to check it, which might not catch the side kick. Could be a nice surprise.

It goes back to the 80/20 rule. 80% of the results will be earned by 20% of the techniques. That 20%: Jab, cross, hook, uppercut, elbows, knees, leg kick.

The rest is extra.

Mark my words...

We're going to see some knockouts with it. Anyone who has ever ate one to the mid-section knows it can knock the wind right out of you.

It just has to be set up properly. The guy that does it will have set people up with low kicks, high kicks, etc...and then when they least expect it....bam.

The only problem is that very few MMA guys have he flexibility and experience to pull it off. Maybe the Crow or GSP will pull one out of their hat one day.

aaron_mag said:
Mark my words...

We're going to see some knockouts with it. Anyone who has ever ate one to the mid-section knows it can knock the wind right out of you.

It just has to be set up properly. The guy that does it will have set people up with low kicks, high kicks, etc...and then when they least expect it....bam.

The only problem is that very few MMA guys have he flexibility and experience to pull it off. Maybe the Crow or GSP will pull one out of their hat one day.

I agree; I used to do Kenpo, and got kicked below the right pec, and i saw blacked out for a sec. If it's set up correctly, it could surprise many fighters, especially since they don't expect it, and they don't know how to defend it.

i think maybe cus the consequences are worse in mma for giving away your back (they might get ur back if they can sidestep it)

I've seen both the cro and gsp use spinning side kicks before.. In fact the cro has a ko with a spinning side kick..

But people often refer to spinning side kicks as " back kicks " for God only knows.. The majority of the so called " back kicks ' that guys like gsp throw are probably technically better called spinning side kicks as the rotation is too much to still be considered a back kick..

So umm yeah. Side Kicks can be used. But you gotta remember that a lot of the stances these guys use are not to the side. Imo the front foot is pivoted too much to the front so you can't the hip over enough to land with enough power. ( Because the hip is already squared ) Sure I suppose you could throw it with the lead leg but imo the risk outways the reward significantly..

Mezger used to throw sidekicks all the time back in his prime.

He was awesome at keeping people at a distance and controlling the ring though.

i knock guy on their ass with sidekicks all the time when they come in to punch but dont use it as a singular attack except in the form of a spining back kick.

Doodle said:
But people often refer to spinning side kicks as " back kicks " for God only knows.. The majority of the so called " back kicks ' that guys like gsp throw are probably technically better called spinning side kicks as the rotation is too much to still be considered a back kick..

Actually theres a difference between a spinning side kick and a back kick.

Back