Why no love for the .40 calibers

It wasn't that long ago that everyone was drooling over the .40. If you had a 9 instead of a 40 people questioned you.

It wasn't that long ago that everyone was drooling over the .40. If you had a 9 instead of a 40 people questioned you.

i'm pretty sure i'm gonna stick with my .40 it's accurate as hell, packs a punch, and functions extremely well at this point i think i'm just grasping at straws. i mean if i had to do it all over again i'd get the .45acp but there are some great benefits to the .40 as alot of you have mentioned. thank you

i'm pretty sure i'm gonna stick with my .40 it's accurate as hell, packs a punch, and functions extremely well at this point i think i'm just grasping at straws. i mean if i had to do it all over again i'd get the .45acp but there are some great benefits to the .40 as alot of you have mentioned. thank you

I dig the .40. I used to have a Ruger P944 that I loved. I regret getting rid of that gun all the time. I just think people are starting to realize there are qualities to other rounds as well and .40 might not be for everyone.

I like my CZ P07 in .40. Actually find the recoil characteristics funner to shoot than a 9mm which does nothing. One thing about the .40 that I've been hearing and noticed is when the Obama scare of 08/09 happened the only ammo that could be found on shelves with any regularity was the .40. Even now whenever I go to Walmart a lot of the times they're out of the Federal 9mm, 45, and others while the .40 is always on the shelf. For that reason I'll always keep my .40 CZ.

I never liked the snappier recoil on all of the 40s I have owned. Even with my USP 40 and its buffered guiderod. I do like the ability of swapping in a 9mm conv. barrel though. I have been debating whether or not to pick up another USP 40 for that exact reason.

Fashion trends, nothing more. Just like max strength training is currently in with the S&C nerds, eventually everyone will be talking about conditioning again. So it will be with calibers.

I happen to like 9. Most will agree with me today, but probably not in a year or so.

I think the smaller following has to do with a number of things, and not much to do with performance of the round. For one, 9mm and .45 ACP are two rounds that are very well known, i mean people that don't even shoot know what a .45 and 9mm are so people are more familiar with them. They have also been around a lot longer than the .40 S&W has and are much more common and readily available. Add in the fact that the 9mm is cheaper per round and good 9mm rounds can put out performance similar to the .40 S&W and it makes sense that the 9mm has more users/followers.

They are all good rounds though, and like people have said: shoot whatever you feel comfortable with. If you prefer the .40 S&W and are happy with your gun then i'd say that is all that really matters.

I'm starting to take an interest in the 10mm. It out performs .45 and the 9mm in ballistics. I think it matches the .357mag in ballistics but it has a bigger slug.

I like me 10mm. Counts as a .40 cal. B-P

The .40 gets the job done same as the 10mm,
but in a smaller package.

While the 40 s&w isn't bad, that's a bit of a stretch. Going several hundred fps faster it will outperform the shorter round, at least when penetrating light cover and shooting animals is concerned.

Not really practical for most defensive shooting scenarios, though no where near as homo as desert eagles.

Going some place where there's an equal chance of two-legged and four-legged threats? 10mm! B)

While the 40 s&w isn't bad, that's a bit of a stretch. Going several hundred fps faster it will outperform the shorter round, at least when penetrating light cover and shooting animals is concerned.

Not really practical for most defensive shooting scenarios, though no where near as homo as desert eagles.

Going some place where there's an equal chance of two-legged and four-legged threats? 10mm! B)

you mean like in the wilderness? just use the .44 mag. cheaper ammo, better weapon choices.

you mean like in the wilderness? just use the .44 mag. cheaper ammo, better weapon choices.

I mentioned two legged (people) threats also, I don't wanna use a six shot revolver for people shooting back at me.

I don't shoot revolvers much, but shoot my glocks often. Pointability and trigger characteristics are same with all of them. 15+1 rounds in a glock 20sf is awesomo.

10mm is good for up to about black bear size.

If I ever stumble around in the wilds of Alaska I'm bringing a rifle.

Legit a 10mm is just going to piss off a bear (If you shoot it anywhere besides the head) Take the .44 mag or like a .454 cassull? Anyway I'd rather just have a rifle/shotgun/bear spray.

15+1 rounds of 10mm is nothing to sneeze at and the gun will be easier to carry than say an S&W 629 or Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan, nevermind a long gun that's bear worthy. A Glock 20 is a great compromise for a hiking gun. But yes, as stated, the best bear defense is avoidance.

Legit a 10mm is just going to piss off a bear (If you shoot it anywhere besides the head) Take the .44 mag or like a .454 cassull? Anyway I'd rather just have a rifle/shotgun/bear spray.

Best option for bears. And we all carry because of the threat of bears, right?

Pic of said 10mm:

G20SF, I still need to get some decent night sights for this fat girl.

DSCN1562small.jpg

Probably the most durable 10mm in the market IMO. Wonder how the new spring set up on the gen4's will improve this.

Pic of said 10mm:

DSCN1562small.jpg

Probably the most durable 10mm in the market IMO. Wonder how the new spring set up on the gen4's will improve this.
its almost the only 10mm on the market. Had a chance to buy one back in 2001, but a trip to the gunstore and the receipt for a days worth of practice ammo convinced me otherwise.

Pic of said 10mm:

Very nice! Here's mine, Glock 29 w/ night sights:
20120306_194743.jpg

All it needs now is the Pearce grip extension for both mags.

its almost the only 10mm on the market. Had a chance to buy one back in 2001, but a trip to the gunstore and the receipt for a days worth of practice ammo convinced me otherwise.

LOL true, not that many 10mm offerings. I'm thinking of getting a .40 S&W conversion barrel for it. Wonder if the shorter rounds would work in the stock mags.

Cody564231,

Nice! Looks a bit like my G26.

Would love for them to make a single stack 1911a1 clone in 10mm* or a Sig profiled auto along the lines of a 229 in the same. I just dont like the Glock grip angle as fine as their pistols are.

*for less than a grand and a half.

LOL true, not that many 10mm offerings. I'm thinking of getting a .40 S&W conversion barrel for it. Wonder if the shorter rounds would work in the stock mags.

Cody564231,

Nice! Looks a bit like my G26.

Same platform as the 30, which is only .1" difference from the 26/27.

Back