Why most MT fighters in Thailand teens?

If Payak was still around, he could say. He has great insight about these things, given he's a Thai monk that's gone through some rough stuff

What's the alternative? starving?

Some kids have to take responsibility ealier in life, rather than privileged kids in the west

Ok, so that's not child slavery then, you fucking imbecile? If they're 7 years old and their gym controls what they do and they provide the income for their family of 8? No it's a great opportunity to develop as a fighter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so that's not child slavery then, you fucking imbecile? If they're 7 years old and their gym controls what they do and they provide the income for their family of 8?

Families are farmers themself most likely, barely covering the cost of living. They often got no money for educations or other things in life.

Then again, why are you insulting me?

Families are farmers themself most likely, barely covering the cost of living. They often got no money for educations or other things in life.

Then again, why are you insulting me?

Because you're defending what has been defined by the rest of the civilized world as child slavery. You know what else provides money for a family that a 7 year old girl can do?

Argue your point(s) without the antagonism and insults please.

Argue your point(s) without the antagonism and insults please.

Just go ahead and perma ban me if we're going to argue in favor of child slavery on this forum. This crossed my line.

Just go ahead and perma ban me if we're going to argue in favor of child slavery on this forum.
You are melting down in this thread. It happens, as we all have red-button issues or moments where we lose our cool – and that's OK. But it's not OK if you can't check yourself. Again, you can argue your viewpoint without insulting those with whom you're arguing. Yodsanan is offering an alternative (local) viewpoint and has been pretty accommodating despite being called near every name in the book. Please dial it back.

I have to defend Fluffball a little bit - I'm not saying that he should have insulted Yodsanan by any mean - but it's a little frustrating that this subforum is regularly being trolled by people doing nothing but derailing conversations, insulting and stopping people from getting quality training advice - and nothing is done about it - but Fluff getting upset about what he considers to be child slavery is what warrants a mod intervention.

I'm not pointing the finger at any one moderator - because no one can be expected to police all of sherdog - but it's a little bothersome.

As for the actual topic - I don't think child slavery is really the right term - because this is a culture very different from the European culture that North America is accustom to.

I am not saying that this isn't ethically questionable - but I'm not sure its child slavery as opposed to a more unfortunate equivalent of being forced into work force early by unfortunate circumstances. I'd say a lot of Thai camps treat their kids very well - as well as teaching them to read and write and give them the education of how to teach in order to continue to give them prospects post fight life - I'm sure there are horror stories too but I'm just not sure that slavery is the right term.

This isn't me defending child slavery at all - but I'm not sure how accurate a term it is. Granted I don't think that we will get much help out of people that train on Thai camps either because of course they would have a more positive opinion on the whole thing - lest they be an accessory to the aforementioned slavery.

In many other violent sports you never see teens. Pro boxing, football, rugby, ice hockey have no teens.
What are you talking about, yes they do LOL. How do you think pro's in those sports develope? You know how many friends I had that are still dealing with back and knee issues from playing High School Football? Kids have died on the field from heat strokes and head trauma.

The difference is Muay Thai doesn't have a distinction between Amateur and Pro...

Well I did flip out. Not even going to address anyone in the thread on certain view points.

Here's the thing, my kid (and got another due in a couple weeks) would LITERALLY do anything I asked of him, because I'm teaching him how to be a human. If ask him to give his life up to support his mama and me, he would, and then that's the end of him.

It is not ok no matter what the culture, and the the governments of the world agree with me. It doesn't belong on the striking forum if you want to support that. It's not a choice. Nor are a lot of other things in Thai culture. There is a reason it's in "red" on any sort of map or list you can find.

I'm not pointing the finger at any one moderator - because no one can be expected to police all of sherdog - but it's a little bothersome.

no mod at fault here. I simply reported him for the second insult.

no mod at fault here. I simply reported him for the second insult.
I was about to until I saw it was already done. Unwarranted overkill insults should not be a part of any of these forums.

I was about to until I saw it was already done. Unwarranted overkill insults should not be a part of any of these forums.

Oh man up you poopy pants. Edit: also I would pay some good no money for mod support in the striking forum. I think the resident troll that kept making accounts got bored though.

Insults like that just take away the argument. No matter how good or valid it is.

Oh man up you poopy pants.
Ya I really don't need advice from somebody that has meltdowns on a web forum and uses terms like "poopy pants". You have egg on your face, move along and take the L...

Ya I really don't need advice from somebody that has meltdowns on a web forum and uses terms like "poopy pants". You have egg on your face, move along and take the L...

I already did. Got drunk and am VERY VERY VERY passionate about being a dad. Poopy pants McPoopertan. That's right, I went there.

Why most of the MT fighters in Thailand are teens? Is there something about puberty that lends to successful fight career? In many other violent sports you never see teens. Pro boxing, football, rugby, ice hockey have no teens. Its colloquially thought that a teenager will get completely murdered 100% if they took on an adult in those sports.

So what about Muay Thai makes it different from say pro western Boxing? I also hear most of the fighters are also from the Lao region. Is there a reason for that too?

So lets say I take an athletic adult of 25 years and has been training and competing for about 5 years prior, and I stuck him in there with a great teenage MT fighter from Thailand (training since childhood), does the teen have any physical advantages over the 25 yr prime male?

Theres alot too answer this question. First off i will comment about how in most other sports you see "older guys". I totally agree that in your late twenties you have probably peaked phsyically strength wise, but the thais start at such a young age, their body has seen so much damage and is not in the same shape as a guy from the US in his late 20's.

The other thing is recovery time, its a young mans sport, and if you can do it while your a kid, teen, and young adult, those would be the best times, the body is still new, young, and heals quickly.

What are you talking about, yes they do LOL. How do you think pro's in those sports develope? You know how many friends I had that are still dealing with back and knee issues from playing High School Football? Kids have died on the field from heat strokes and head trauma.

The difference is Muay Thai doesn't have a distinction between Amateur and Pro...

LOL, I mean in the professional ranks. I know there are teenagers in amateurs. I mean people who do those activities for a living, to pay the bills, who's family lives depend on it.

Theres alot too answer this question. First off i will comment about how in most other sports you see "older guys". I totally agree that in your late twenties you have probably peaked phsyically strength wise, but the thais start at such a young age, their body has seen so much damage and is not in the same shape as a guy from the US in his late 20's.

The other thing is recovery time, its a young mans sport, and if you can do it while your a kid, teen, and young adult, those would be the best times, the body is still new, young, and heals quickly.

That makes sense, but then I can see teens competing in pro boxing. I guess teens wont have enough heft for the football, rugby, and hockey though.

Back