Why Krav Maga is Garbage, and Wrestling/BJJ/Boxing isn't so bad

D

dhalsim408

Sorry - I know this topic has be talked about ad nausea but couldn't resist

Ryan Hall finally hit all of the key points on the head that have people knocking BJJ/Wrestling/Boxing for self defense.

Point 1: BJJ is no good because his friends will stomp your head
Reality: BJJ players tend to be fanatical. They train 4-5 days a week. Training partners become like brothers. And those brothers tend to always be around. On and off the mat.

"Hall speaks to the fact that he felt confident using the mount to control the aggressor, despite the aggressor having a friend with him because he knew if the friend got involved, Hall had an entire table of black belts that would have his back"

Point 2: Training for competition is different from training for and dealing with self defense.
Reality: Self defense is different from reality. Yes. But training for tournament hardens the body. You're getting slammed, choked, and yanked on by someone who usually trains pretty hard himself. Walk into a BJJ tournament. Into a Boxing school. Into a wrestling practice. Into a Krav school. These least conditioned, least violent, least dangerous people are usually the Krav school. Maybe why more women prefer that system over others? Krav may be taught to the IDF in Israel. But it's being taught to and practiced by soccer moms here in America.

"It is like Manny Pacquiao, I don't care if there are gloves or not, if he hits you, your head is coming off and there is no amount of me practicing an eye gouge that is going to stop him from doing that because he is so used to just dealing with someone who is incredibly good at touching him in the head really, really fast and really, really hard. It doesn't matter what shape my hand is in, he is incredibly good at stopping that and he is incredibly good at countering...

So I would completely disagree. I'd say most of the people that say that practice for self-defense and don't train with tough athletes are really doing themselves a disservice. If I can wrestle with, say, Division I collegiate All-Americans and do fine. If I can wrestle with Marcelo Garcia and do ok, what the hell is some regular guy going to do? The only chance they have is to sucker punch me because anything that engages in an actual engagement of physical combat, I would absolutely hammer this person."

Point 3: What if he has a knife, gun, or death ray and he kills you when you get to the ground.
Reality How can he get to that weapon if you have him properly positionally dominated?

"He also talks about how the mount is great because he was able to secure wrist control on both of the aggressor's arms to prevent him for attempting a groin grab or going into his pockets to reach for a possible weapon."

Moral of the story: Any martial artist, be it a judoka, boxer, wrestler, or karate guy who is used to doing something really really well against someone else who is trained to do something really well is probably going to be OK in a street confrontation. Unless that confrontation is against someone who can do that something even better than they.

Sorry - I know this topic has be talked about ad nausea but couldn't resist

Ryan Hall finally hit all of the key points on the head that have people knocking BJJ/Wrestling/Boxing for self defense.

Point 1: BJJ is no good because his friends will stomp your head
Reality: BJJ players tend to be fanatical. They train 4-5 days a week. Training partners become like brothers. And those brothers tend to always be around. On and off the mat.

"Hall speaks to the fact that he felt confident using the mount to control the aggressor, despite the aggressor having a friend with him because he knew if the friend got involved, Hall had an entire table of black belts that would have his back"

Point 2: Training for competition is different from training for and dealing with self defense.
Reality: Self defense is different from reality. Yes. But training for tournament hardens the body. You're getting slammed, choked, and yanked on by someone who usually trains pretty hard himself. Walk into a BJJ tournament. Into a Boxing school. Into a wrestling practice. Into a Krav school. These least conditioned, least violent, least dangerous people are usually the Krav school. Maybe why more women prefer that system over others? Krav may be taught to the IDF in Israel. But it's being taught to and practiced by soccer moms here in America.

"It is like Manny Pacquiao, I don't care if there are gloves or not, if he hits you, your head is coming off and there is no amount of me practicing an eye gouge that is going to stop him from doing that because he is so used to just dealing with someone who is incredibly good at touching him in the head really, really fast and really, really hard. It doesn't matter what shape my hand is in, he is incredibly good at stopping that and he is incredibly good at countering...

So I would completely disagree. I'd say most of the people that say that practice for self-defense and don't train with tough athletes are really doing themselves a disservice. If I can wrestle with, say, Division I collegiate All-Americans and do fine. If I can wrestle with Marcelo Garcia and do ok, what the hell is some regular guy going to do? The only chance they have is to sucker punch me because anything that engages in an actual engagement of physical combat, I would absolutely hammer this person."

Point 3: What if he has a knife, gun, or death ray and he kills you when you get to the ground.
Reality How can he get to that weapon if you have him properly positionally dominated?

"He also talks about how the mount is great because he was able to secure wrist control on both of the aggressor's arms to prevent him for attempting a groin grab or going into his pockets to reach for a possible weapon."

Moral of the story: Any martial artist, be it a judoka, boxer, wrestler, or karate guy who is used to doing something really really well against someone else who is trained to do something really well is probably going to be OK in a street confrontation. Unless that confrontation is against someone who can do that something even better than they.

word!

Have you even been to a Krav school?

Krav Maga brown belt.

Want to know how I got into JiuJitsu?

A guy came in to the gym and during sparring sessions was just ripping everyone apart. People called it really cheap, but I was fascinated. Throw a punch and he ducks under for a trip into mount. Bear hug him and he tumbles for a leg and hits you with a foot lock/knee bar. I thought he was a black belt in jiujitsu because of how hard it was to deal with him once things got on the ground.

When I found out he was a blue belt, I wanted to learn more of that system.

I really think Krav is a great system if you're already good at something else, or you're practicing against people who like to play rough. But lots of people didn't want bruises, scratches, or sprains... so we could never really drill at high speed.

Also after doing both, I'd say the ground defenses are really inadequate. It's about how to get up and get to fighting, but do you know how hard it is to get even a 4-stripe white belt off of you if you're only training ground defense 2 hours a week?

You cover a lot of defense against 1 or 2 handed chokes from mount, head locks from the side, and 2 handed chokes from the rear... slight problem.... how many BJJ people have you ever seen use a 2 handed choke or head lock? And even as a blue belt, I still can't get out of some triangles and arm bars. So how are you going to learn that in Krav 1-2 hours a week?

My only problem with Krav is that everything they do, someone else does better.

Striking? Boxers do it better, and they don't ever get hit full speed, so good luck taking a punch

Kicks? Karatekas, soccer players, and TKD do it much better

Ground work ? Bjj guys do it a lot better

Wrestling? Non-existent so any martial artist person does it better.

So if it ever came down to it, where exactly would a Krav guy take someone where they hope to have an overwhelming advantage?

I know Krav pretty well, and BJJ at a very very average level. One on one if things hit the fan I'd rather fall back on BJJ. I'm not outstriking or out kicking anyone...
I've seen guys come on and just out punch everyone because of their size and toughness from day 1. And I've seen what I can do to new guys, even wrestlers, on their first day of BJJ. But that doesn't mean I'm above doing an eye gouge and nut grab from back mount. It's my new over-under control :)

I train at a school that offers both BJJ and Krav Maga. Everyone involved seem more than satisfied with the level of instruction they receive in each respective style, including those who have utilized those skills in real life situations.

Wat

I don't even know what to say to that.

How bout this. Oh your a BJJ guy well you never practice striking guess your fucked LOL. God this article sounds so douchy it's unbelievable.

Have you even been to a Krav school?

A legit krav school not some woman's self defense krav school. A legit krav school will spar and fight. They also do gun and knife defense, disarming which is pretty cool.

I agree with most of what dhalsim posted or Ryan hall stated, except the weapon part.

While it is possible to get someone to the ground with a gun or knife it is better to know how to do weapon disarms. While I agree sparring and practice is important. You need to learn how to disarm weapons as well.

I am not a Krav practitioner but I do know that there are some hardcore Krav gyms out there too. It's like anything else. Some are geared toward women and weaklings and others want everyone to be strong in their art.

A legit krav school not some woman's self defense krav school. A legit krav school will spar and fight. They also do gun and knife defense, disarming which is pretty cool.

I agree with most of what dhalsim posted or Ryan hall stated, except the weapon part.

While it is possible to get someone to the ground with a gun or knife it is better to know how to do weapon disarms. While I agree sparring and practice is important. You need to learn how to disarm weapons as well.

I am not a Krav practitioner but I do know that there are some hardcore Krav gyms out there too. It's like anything else. Some are geared toward women and weaklings and others want everyone to be strong in their art.

Like I said, I'm a brown belt in Krav Maga.... and only as an absolute last case scenario would I ever even THINK about trying a gun disarm. Too many things that can go wrong. Plus I don't have the confidence in it.

I know what an Arm Bar feels like. I know what Triangle feels like. I know what being picked up and slammed feels like. But I DO NOT know what being cut with a knife or having a gun pulls on me feels like, so I can't say how I would react and that I'd be able to continue with the defense.

Plus one thing no one has ever explained to me... How can you train gun takeaway without ever even knowing what it is like to have a gun go off nearby w/o ear protection. Nearly every single human is going to instinctively react and recoil away the first time experiencing that. I do, even with muffs on.

There's a reason why weapon disarms aren't taught in the Army (who are more likely to run into armed opposition) ... because they rarely ever work.
Want to know what the Army says do to when you run across an armed opponent in CQB and your gun is jammed?

Only two options.
1) From med-long range, run for cover and assume a defensive posture until you can free your sidearm or clear the jam on your primary weapon
2) From close range, seize the enemy and gain immediate control of him. Prevent him from accessing your sidearm or knife. Incapacitate/kill enemy or control long enough for buddy to arrive.

Want to take a wild guess at what system the Army combatives is based on?

Last edited by a moderator:
Like I said, I'm a brown belt in Krav Maga.... and only as an absolute last case scenario would I ever even THINK about trying a gun disarm. Too many things that can go wrong. Plus I don't have the confidence in it.

I know what an Arm Bar feels like. I know what Triangle feels like. I know what being picked up and slammed feels like. But I DO NOT know what being cut with a knife or having a gun pulls on me feels like, so I can't say how I would react and that I'd be able to continue with the defense.

Plus one thing no one has ever explained to me... How can you train gun takeaway without ever even knowing what it is like to have a gun go off nearby w/o ear protection. Nearly every single human is going to instinctively react and recoil away the first time experiencing that. I do, even with muffs on.

I know no matter what especially in a knife fight you are going to get cut or stabbed. There are no magical disarms or moves that will prevent that. A gun pointed at you is a different story. You need to hope to activate the other guys ooda loop and he is close enough to engage if you want to disarm. If he is not you better hope to have a gun and act before he does (action is faster than reaction) or be far enough to be able to run into cover and get the fuck out.

I know no matter what especially in a knife fight you are going to get cut or stabbed. There are no magical disarms or moves that will prevent that. A gun pointed at you is a different story. You need to hope to activate the other guys ooda loop and he is close enough to engage if you want to disarm. If he is not you better hope to have a gun and act before he does (action is faster than reaction) or be far enough to be able to run into cover and get the fuck out.

i got into a knife fight and didn't get cut or stabbed.

My only problem with Krav is that everything they do, someone else does better.

Striking? Boxers do it better, and they don't ever get hit full speed, so good luck taking a punch

Kicks? Karatekas, soccer players, and TKD do it much better

Ground work ? Bjj guys do it a lot better

Pretty much the story of mma right?

I honestly believe that with any martial art you train, the Nike defense will be your best bet against a gun/knife attack. I agree with the OP on everything else though.

If I may interject.

I'm the grappling forum's resident Krav Black Belt (2nd degree now, btw). Brown in jiu jits and judo. Many of our lead instructors are blues in jiu jits, and there a couple purples. Oh, and we have three ju jits BB's teaching courses over here.

I've rebutted internet bashing here since 03. Doesn't matter to me much anymore. Where I train, internet bashing doesn't make much of a difference considering our class sizes only get bigger, as do our fight classes and groundfighting classes. Even my wrestling class has increased in attendance!

Lastly, I get stories about once bimonthly from LEOs, civilians, or fight students. Krav does work in real time or in shutting up BJJ/MMA friends.

The ugly truth for some of you-krav has helped good people in bad situations, and your opinion hasn't changed that since 03!

It's all about how you train. If your school isn't multi-disciplinary or interject enough supplementary wrestling courses, sub grappling, combat shooting courses, simunitions, shock-knives, then perhaps your folks should look into it. Ours does, so it exists. Not my fault if your school isn't performing to standard.

I'd rather be watching matches on flowrestling or on judovision than arguing here, so keep on flinging poo you internet champions! For those that have real questions, PM me or come on down to Sherman Oaks and come holla at me!

One last thing-dhalsim is right, we sucked for A LONG TIME when it came to wrestling and basic takedown defenses. We are changing our curriculum to address some these issues. Not fully comprehensive yet, but you gotta start somewhere.

If I may interject.

I'm the grappling forum's resident Krav Black Belt (2nd degree now, btw). Brown in jiu jits and judo. Many of our lead instructors are blues in jiu jits, and there a couple purples. Oh, and we have three ju jits BB's teaching courses over here.

I've rebutted internet bashing here since 03. Doesn't matter to me much anymore. Where I train, internet bashing doesn't make much of a difference considering our class sizes only get bigger, as do our fight classes and groundfighting classes. Even my wrestling class has increased in attendance!

Lastly, I get stories about once bimonthly from LEOs, civilians, or fight students. Krav does work in real time or in shutting up BJJ/MMA friends.

The ugly truth for some of you-krav has helped good people in bad situations, and your opinion hasn't changed that since 03!

It's all about how you train. If your school isn't multi-disciplinary or interject enough supplementary wrestling courses, sub grappling, combat shooting courses, simunitions, shock-knives, then perhaps your folks should look into it. Ours does, so it exists. Not my fault if your school isn't performing to standard.

I'd rather be watching matches on flowrestling or on judovision than arguing here, so keep on flinging poo you internet champions! For those that have real questions, PM me or come on down to Sherman Oaks and come holla at me!

One last thing-dhalsim is right, we sucked for A LONG TIME when it came to wrestling and basic takedown defenses. We are changing our curriculum to address some these issues. Not fully comprehensive yet, but you gotta start somewhere.

You have to admit though, our GnP sucks... or maybe it's just my location. Other than the "self-defense" ground work, KM's ground stuff is pretty bad, unless you do the actual ground classes.

I respect Ryan Hall more than he, or TS, respects other martial arts or fighting systems. The fact is that Krav, BJJ, MT, Boxing, Judo, TKD etc CAN ALL BE used successfully to defend yourself in street situations. Everyone of those styles, even BJJ, has weaknesses that can put you in danger in certain street situations. Calling any practical system grabage is akin to underestimating your adversary which is a surefire way to get hammered in a street fight/self defense situation.

For the record, i am NOT a KM guy. BJJ is my grappling art

FWIW, Ive seen 3 dudes stomp out a BJJ guy. Ive also seen white belts choke out guys, hobbyist boxers KO people and know KM ladies who have escaped assaults with the groin kick followed by the nike defense.

Krav can work just like anything else.

There are shitty Krav schools. There are shitty BJJ schools. There are shitty boxing and Muay Thai gyms. Take any martial art or fighting system and you'll find plenty of places where it's taught in a horrible, shitty, ineffective manner. That's the fault of the instructors, not the systems.

Though he was kinda (kinda) bashing another discipline, I thought TS made a very logical and well thought-out argument here. Clearly his experiences won't match every KM practitioner's, but from my very limited experience, I think his are more the rule than the exception. Cool to see the art is adapting and growing though. Medina's school sound awesome.

Aside from making a good argument, I was really impressed by the way you reacted to getting thrown around by the BJJ blue. Good thread, ts!

So this Ryan Hall go even to the toilet and to bed with his buddies?
what if someone attacks him on toilet, is he going to say before this "hey dudes come with me to the toilet even if you don't want to piss or shit, just come with me in order to protect my back when I mount someone" or "hey guys come to my house to sleep in order to protect me if I found 2 or 3 burglars inside".
So ground fighting is useless on streets only the stand grappling is useful like judo throwing someone on their neck or shoulder.

and this Many Pacquiao example ... ok he is used to counter really good, being a full speed boxer, ok but what if he should fight with no gloves? what if he hit someone's head? he will broke his speed hand and it's not like it's a low percentage situation, even Tyson broke his hands when fighting on streets many times.

So yes ... punching on streets is not recommended, just hammer fist, knife hand or palm heel. ONLY recommended if you train conditioning (that boxer's don't do) like punching wood, stones, etc like karatekas (so yes karatekas have stronger hands than boxer).

so for streets .... boxing with adapted open hand techniques and judo to rag doll people around. over!

Back