Why Karate isn't effective for self defense

What is this trend with bumping years-old threads lately? At any rate, anyone who thinks modern violence is somehow different from ancient violence is clearly a fucking retard. If your old style of fighting doesn't work anymore, it's because how it's trained has changed.

What is this trend with bumping years-old threads lately? At any rate, anyone who thinks modern violence is somehow different from ancient violence is clearly a fucking retard. If your old style of fighting doesn't work anymore, it's because how it's trained has changed.

Yeah humans have been hurting and killing each other since Cain bashed ables head in. The one thing I do give credence to Rbma is multiple attackers. I seriously haven't been in a one on one fight since fifth grade.

I think all martial arts could do better in teaching what to do if you're about to get "jumped"
I know one on one fights still happen I just rarely see them.and for years it was my business to break up tom foolery

Rbma skill: find the nearest rock/pipe/steel chair/ladder/table and use that instead.

Everything works, just gotta be good.

OK, I'd say from the waist up it's mostly crap.

Isn´t one of the benefits of Kyokushin in a street fight the bare knuckle fists unlike Boxing where you wear gloves? I mean isn't it very efficient in a street fight situation to get used to fighting with your knuckles?

Last edited:
Isn´t one of the benefits of Kyokushin in a street fight the bare knuckle fists unlike Boxing where you wear gloves? I mean isn't it very efficient in a street fight situation to get used to fighting with your knuckles?

True, it is, but then again you don't punch to the face or do a lot of head movement, etc. But you do learn to hit correctly, hit the heavy bag without gloves...

Let's be real, a good Kyokushin guy will wipe the floor with a few punks. A bad "socially promoted" one who can't kick above his waist can easily lose to one.

Most legit black belts in anything like TKD or even Kenpo are going to win a fight regardless. The fight they won't win is against good kick boxers, grapplers etc due to deficiencies in the style's themselves.

The best karate based style of kickboxing is based on Kyokushin - Dutch style kickboxing. It's a hybrid between Kyokushin Karate, Western Boxing and Muay Thai.

That's where it's at, karate wise. Fine for MMA, street, whatever.

Last edited:
Let's be real, a good Kyokushin guy will wipe the floor with a few punks.

You're not being real. Fighting multiple opponents is going to get you killed real fast.

No matter how good you are, if you've got 3 guys surrounding you you're going to lose and losing in that scenario means if you're lucky you wind up in ICU. If they're all on 1 side and don't actually want to fight, you might be able to survive or take them out, but in that case why the fuck aren't you running away?

I wind up in a 4v1 once, and while it did not go well for them, it did not go well for me either. I'm very lucky to be alive.

You're not being real. Fighting multiple opponents is going to get you killed real fast.

No matter how good you are, if you've got 3 guys surrounding you you're going to lose and losing in that scenario means if you're lucky you wind up in ICU. If they're all on 1 side and don't actually want to fight, you might be able to survive or take them out, but in that case why the fuck aren't you running away?

I wind up in a 4v1 once, and while it did not go well for them, it did not go well for me either. I'm very lucky to be alive.

I've fought multiple opponents with far less skill than I have now. There's youtube videos of people fighting multiple opponents and winning everywhere. A guy like Francisco Filho would utterly destroy a few punks with no trouble at all.

You don't need to study for years to run away like a little girl. I got a video of an untrained chinese woman disarming a gun from a thug in baltimore. Some chinese takeout owner is braver than you.

Unless those 3 guys are trained fighters I will handle them easily like I have in the past.

We're all lucky to be alive, just let the men talk.

Last edited:
I have not heard of many good karate black belts getting handed their ass in a street fight by untrained opponent. It's talked about relentlessly but IMO it's mostly bullshit or some stinky mcdojo guys. Some people are simply not talented at fighting or well suited for the martial art they chose.

My TKD instructor when I was 10 beat up some punks outside the school. He fucked the first guy up with a spinning kick, the rest ran. But he was Korean, Koreans are actually good at TKD. They'll take your head off with a side kick, not some American guy training 2 years who's stiff and slow and you think "who gave him a black belt".

But that's why I was never afraid to do it, because I had a REAL teacher who showed it was possible. He didn't say "run away", he said "win or lose, live or die is ok but you have to fight for yourself". Now everyone says "don't fight, run away", that's not real martial arts and that's no way to raise your kids to give in to criminals taking over the streets.

Anyway, I like fighting so there's no reason to run away, obviously I'm going to test myself as a martial artist. No reason to spend all your time training to fight then run, may as well spend all your time running and go to running classes. lol

Last edited:
I've fought multiple opponents with far less skill than I have now. There's youtube videos of people fighting multiple opponents and winning everywhere. A guy like Francisco Filho would utterly destroy a few punks with no trouble at all.

You don't need to study for years to run away like a little girl. I got a video of an untrained chinese woman disarming a gun from a thug in baltimore. Some chinese takeout owner is braver than you.

Unless those 3 guys are trained fighters I will handle them easily like I have in the past.

We're all lucky to be alive, just let the men talk.

Ok buddy, you feel free to do your gun disarms, you brave brave warrior.

Someone with a weapon is god compared to someone who is unarmed. If the other guy is a supremely confident 'disarming expert', that simply means killing them is much more convenient; since they will come to you instead of you having to chase after them.

So Kyokushin is pretty efficient in a street fight situation?

Kyokushin gives you some solid tools to defend yourself in the streets for sure; you learn how to delivery solid strikes, you develop some serious physical conditioning and mental toughness which means you can handle getting hit, you also get used to punch bare knuckle, and you're not afraid of pain.
That being said it doesn't make you invincible and as many have mentioned in this thread already you should always do your best to avoid and de-escalate fights, weapons and several opponents will seriously f*ck you up.

Kyokushin gives you some solid tools to defend yourself in the streets for sure.

Not really. Real fighting is instinctive and psychological. It all comes down to if you can fight to begin with. There are common sense techniques in Kyokushin, but those would have been implemented with or without actual training in martial arts. What Kyokushin or any other legit martial art can give you is the ability to perfect a single technique to implement. A side kick or low kick is excellent as your go to weapon. It's only about realizing your own potential. Kyokushin can't give you fighting skills. Muscle fibres in your body are not trainable, and they determine the force of your strikes.

I'm amazed this troll still hasn't been banned.

Ok buddy, you feel free to do your gun disarms, you brave brave warrior.

No, the untrained Chinese takeout woman from Baltimore is the real hero here. Not to mention the scrawny skate punk who disarmed a ganster who outweighed him by 50lbs. lol

They did things trained 200+lb martial artists training "the most effective martial arts styles" say can't be done with no training whatsoever.

Saw a boxer (plain ole boxer) KO 2 opponents easily, they had more friends who backed off. Firas Zahabi did the breakdown, go look it up.

YouTube is the most effective martial art ever.

So Kyokushin is pretty efficient in a street fight situation?

Not really. Real fighting is instinctive and psychological. It all comes down to if you can fight to begin with. There are common sense techniques in Kyokushin, but those would have been implemented with or without actual training in martial arts. What Kyokushin or any other legit martial art can give you is the ability to perfect a single technique to implement. A side kick or low kick is excellent as your go to weapon. It's only about realizing your own potential. Kyokushin can't give you fighting skills. Muscle fibres in your body are not trainable, and they determine the force of your strikes.

There are KK black belts that can't fight a whole lot better than average. They are slow and not explosive, don't hit that hard after training for years and don't really improve that much over time. But after 5-8 years of almost perfect attendance and dedication, you got to give that guy something so he has a black belt.

Part of it is lack of any "killer instinct", the rest I would attribute to poor hand/eye coordination and lack of red muscle fibers, lack of balance, fight IQ, etc. Despite "knowing everything", they don't counter effectively and are easy to hit. I don't see them using what they are taught, not really what you expect from a "black belt".

I was beating some of the black belts pretty bad in sparring after a year and a half or so and got my mine on year 3. After a year of training, I was sending larger heavyweights back a few steps with my jab to the body and making upper belts grimace with my left uppercut to the body while holding pads to their chest.

For me it's great and I feel plenty street safe, never carry a gun. For them, probably best to avoid fighting the more athletic members of our community. lol

But I'm "that guy" when it comes to ground grappling. Very mediocre talent at BJJ, I'm not going to the ground in a fight. Then again, I don't enjoy it, it's not fighting to me.

I don't like grappling with people, I like smashing them with strikes. Even people I like or cute girls, I smile when I see their face contort after a low kick, if someone hurts me I laugh and congratulate them. It's not about "defending myself" or avoiding pain, I always enjoyed fighting.

Gotta love what you do.

Last edited:
No, the untrained Chinese takeout woman from Baltimore is the real hero here. Not to mention the scrawny skate punk who disarmed a ganster who outweighed him by 50lbs. lol

They did things trained 200+lb martial artists training "the most effective martial arts styles" say can't be done with no training whatsoever.

Saw a boxer (plain ole boxer) KO 2 opponents easily, they had more friends who backed off. Firas Zahabi did the breakdown, go look it up.

YouTube is the most effective martial art ever.
There's this weird culture on a lot of martial arts boards where people act like 1v2+ is impossible, and it boggles the mind. I've come out on top against multiple attackers myself, I know people who've done it, I've seen it done, I've heard about it being done, I've seen youtube videos of it... and none of that is "wow" worthy.

What's so weird about it is that anyone who's been around combat sports for any amount of time should know how shitty at fighting untrained people are 99.999% of the time. Beating three average street bullies is hardly more difficult than beating one.

There's this weird culture on a lot of martial arts boards where people act like 1v2+ is impossible, and it boggles the mind. I've come out on top against multiple attackers myself, I know people who've done it, I've seen it done, I've heard about it being done, I've seen youtube videos of it... and none of that is "wow" worthy.

What's so weird about it is that anyone who's been around combat sports for any amount of time should know how shitty at fighting untrained people are 99.999% of the time. Beating three average street bullies is hardly more difficult than beating one.

Yes, trained fighters should know better.

The most athletic guy you can think of comes to a Muay Thai gym and works the pads.

They always suck, openings everywhere.

Back