why Judo for Armenians? | Page 2

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by freakroor, Dec 24, 2011.

1. selfcritical Brown Belt

selfcritical
    Tons of indigenous wrestling styles that used the jacket, plus the avenue for international prestige.

2. selfcritical Brown Belt

selfcritical
    So basically the same reason it's popular in Mongolia.

Rebelfett likes this.
  3. Quebec Nick Blue Belt

Quebec Nick
    The more impressive part about it is that it's a really small country (3 millions in population) and how Gokor was able to make them shine in the US and in the UFC. I was intrigued by them the first time I saw Karo fight and a lot more people were when they saw Ronda coming out this school.

Ogata and Rebelfett like this.
  4. selfcritical Brown Belt

selfcritical
    Gokor's record is a little confusing, because he was clearly a top-level talent in judo, but as far as I can tell, he never competed at a World Cup in Sambo, or the Olympics in judo.

Rebelfett likes this.
  5. ArtemV Red Belt

ArtemV
    Yeah, true. Who are Gokor's most successful students? I don't really pay attention to judo schools, except national teams. I thought most judoka are from Pedro's school - most successful being Stevens and Harrison. Same situation with Georgia tho, they have around 3,500,000 and still produce world champions and medalists, even in the olympics too. Georgia is one of my favorite countries to watch: compete. They produce judoka and wrestlers at the highest level and compete with the best. Armenia are great too, but do so to a lesser extent.

Rebelfett likes this.
  6. Ogata Brown Belt

Ogata
    Bro!

You are posting in an MMA forum, how can you not know the correct answer is:

[​IMG]

loyalyolayal likes this.
  7. ArtemV Red Belt

ArtemV
    Aaa, Karo. He was kind of cool, but he looks and talks like the kind of Italian you would find on Jersey shore lol.

8. MadSquabbles500 Gold Belt

MadSquabbles500
    I wouldnt say judo is popular in Mongolia. Boke is popular, but I sure that will change as they modernize.

9. Ogata Brown Belt

Ogata
    Looks like you didn't read Gene Lebells book. He already explained why!

My god, do you people even follow any non-bjj grapplers!!!????

10. selfcritical Brown Belt

selfcritical
    I don't generally read a lot of books on grappling, and none of the Russian sambists I know had anything to say about him at all. Summary?

11. selfcritical Brown Belt

selfcritical
    They do pretty well internationally in Judo and Sambo at least.

12. Ogata Brown Belt

Ogata
    What happened was, Gokor wanted to train with Gene Lebell in order to diversify his grappling skills. At that point, Gokor was a sambo/wrestler and to get a perspective of life in America. He met Gene and Lebell tested him by having his top students test Gokor. Gokor defeated all the black belts and once he got to know Gokor. Gene took a liking to him Gokor.

From there, Gene helped him settle in America while Gokor helped with Genes school and from there, Gokor got his green card and was able to impress Gene Lebell. From there, Gene showed Gokor his mix of judo and catch wrestling and of course, Gokor had his Sambo/Wrestling training.

Thus there was either a disconnect or maybe a misunderstanding and that Gokor for some reason could not go back to compete in Sambo. I forgot the specifics but it was something like that OR, he simply decided to focus on Judo and MMA. From there, he opened his own studio while Gene focused on small time acting and stunt work training.

With the momentum of life and him doing well with his Hayastan academy, Gokors judo/sambo aspirations were casted to the side in favor of creating a better future for himself and his family.