Why John Danaher Refused to Shake Hands with Mike Davila at EBI

I don't know man. Heel hooks and leg attacks are becoming more and more mainstream. You need to be able to defend and attack them more often now a days.

Pretty much and I recognize that, I'm just waiting for everyone to be used to it.

lol.. are you guys even martial artists or just frat bros who do jiu jitsu?

to quote ryan hall - "its about conducting yourself in an honorable and respectful way"

john is the boss of this team and i support his decision in this matter

Bow to your sensei!

So let me get this straight, you put an * besides someones record because he beat someone with a set of rules that you considered they are bullshit??? and then this comes out of your fingers....

ones win over the other in an overtime rules should have *, eventhough both players knew before hand the rules, but the other shouldnt be eventhough he basically lost on a penalty by sitting on his ass, something that is quite normal in bjj...

Didn't I say there should be an * over that win too? Maybe I wrote it, then re-wrote it and forgot to add that part back in, my bad buddy.

your reasoning seems legit hum, excuse me to ask but... who the fuck are you again to dictate when a rule set win should be legit and when not? in both cases both participants knew the rules how to win and how to lose.

It's called an opinion, everyone is entitled to one even if you don't agree with it. EBI's OT rules are terrible, but no one else is really doing anything about it so it is what it is.

really? eddie cummins just RNC the fuck out of most of his opponents.

Did Eddie just do that? Which event again cause I honestly haven't seen it?

And if you think not getting beat by tanquinho in over 2 hours of battle is just marketing, I will have to ask you again, who the fuck are you again???? unless you are at galvaos mendes braulios or some other elite competitor level, you have no place in this planet to call someone like cummings "all marketing"...

Repeatedly spamming failed leg attacks to a draw is as ridiculous as someone winning with an advantage.

Who am I? Once again someone with an opinion. I didn't realize you were the sheriff around here and no one can have an opinion that doesn't agree with yours. Also, are you and Eddie Facebook official yet? You sure are white knighting him pretty hard.

wrong, you wont see it because as soon as elite competitors join the tournament, other drop off, becasue of the payment structure, is quite difficult to sub some other elite player in a no gi contests under 10 minutes, no matter how hard you try, Andre galvao could win the whole thing, but get paid zero if he has to face cyborg vinny and popovitch in the finals (just some random names)...

the payment structure is what will keep the big names out of this type of tournament.

That and the OT rules, like I said.

Last edited:
Wow this thread really blew up. All over a denied handshake. LOL.

Didn't I say there should be an * over that win too? Maybe I wrote it, then re-wrote it and forgot to add that part back in, my bad buddy.

no you didnt man...

It's called an opinion, everyone is entitled to one even if you don't agree with it. EBI's OT rules are terrible, but no one else is really doing anything about it so it is what it is.

yes, yours, EBI OT rules are the best thing it happened in grappling in a long time, IMO.

yes, last EBI, only dude he hh'd was rafel domingos.

Repeatedly spamming failed leg attacks to a draw is as ridiculous as someone winning with an advantage.

agree, no one should win for almost doing something. Thats why I hate advantages.

Who am I? Once again someone with an opinion. I didn't realize you were the sheriff around here and no one can have an opinion that doesn't agree with yours. Also, are you and Eddie Facebook official yet? You sure are white knighting him pretty hard.

you are stating and saying this like hh are not part of bjj, my only response to that is, who are you to say such thing? didnt realized you had to power to decide what is and is not bjj. Is only a logical answer from someone who disagrees with your "strong" opinion.

im just an Eddie fan, and hate irrational claims are done, dude went toe to toe for 2 hours with someone whos beaten rafel fucking mendes and a whole bunch of the elite, yet his marketing? if eddie is all mkt, what he hell is the rest of competitors of the world? soccer player pretending to be doing jiu jitsu?

yeah Galvao cyborg and others that dropped off the OW tournament didnt seem to have much problems with the OT rules, untill they found out that other elite competitors were also join the tournament, then eveyone had a good excuse not to compete...

The thing people are so butthurt over is that Danaher called it like he fucking sees it.

Never in my life have I known someone that calls it like they see it to take so long to do so.
Anyways, if nothing else the thread has been entertaining.

He RNCed two of his opponents at the last EBI (Sergio Hernandez and Mike Davila). His other two finishes were heel hooks, but it's not like he can't do anything but attack legs. Obviously leg attacks are some of his primary game, but he has excellent guard retention and back attacks too.

Last edited:
Never in my life have I known someone that calls it like they see it to take so long to do so.
Anyways, if nothing else the thread has been entertaining.

are you dense? danaher obviously made up his mind to not associate with mike davila after mike chose to leave the team/academy. he only put a post online after the refused handshake got so much attention

....so 12 pages and a "breif" explaination later...what happened?

....so 12 pages and a "breif" explaination later...what happened?

1. mike davila got invited to ebi7 because he won some small no-name tourny
2. he was going to compete under renzo gracie's team (aka john danaher's team)
3. john danaher told him he couldnt represent his team at this event and requested that he step down because:
-he hasnt been on the team for very long
-gets tooled by many other guys in practice
-would take away a competitor spot from someone more deserving and therefore deprive them of the chance to win prize money
4. mike decides to leave the team and go to marcelo garcia's team instead
5. john danaher thought this was dishonorable and refused to shake mike's hand after eddie cummings poundnihilated him
6. internet nerds say john is an asshole

Don't worry bjj_rage is the excuse maker and gracie apologist bjj didn't ask for or need, who thinks just because he did a little camp at some school in Brazil he understands high level training among other things he obviously doesn't. Don't worry though, as you could probably see in his response to you, he loves to backtrack and pretends he agrees with you after he had just argued against you about that very same point right before.. and god help you if you miss one detail but have a solid point overall.. he'll latch on to that technicality life a lifeboat in a storm

As far as this thread.. this type of bickering will always exist unless bjj does massive over haws it will never do

Don't worry bjj_rage is the excuse maker and gracie apologist bjj didn't ask for or need, who thinks just because he did a little camp at some school in Brazil he understands high level training among other things he obviously doesn't. Don't worry though, as you could probably see in his response to you, he loves to backtrack and pretends he agrees with you after he had just argued against you about that very same point right before.. and god help you if you miss one detail but have a solid point overall.. he'll latch on to that technicality life a lifeboat in a storm

As far as this thread.. this type of bickering will always exist unless bjj does massive over haws it will never do

and who the fuck are you to be Saying who had understands something or not?

Backtracking and agreeing with some points means that I can disagree eith something while agreeing with something else because I argue the points not the poster, unlike yourself, so once again, please do not mention my name anymore, remember when you said you were done with me, well be, fuck off...

and who the fuck are you to be Saying who had understands something or not?

Backtracking and agreeing with some points means that I can disagree eith something while agreeing with something else because I argue the points not the poster, unlike yourself, so once again, please do not mention my name anymore, remember when you said you were done with me, well be, fuck off...
Maybe because I trained and competed in a division I room for 5 years plus have trained bjj almost 6 years now and have gotten to train with some high level blackbelts including some former world champs. I've actually been around elite training day in and day out and competed and trained as a job with academic and financial comp not a hobby, in fact I'm a perfect example of your reason wrestlers do so much better than bjj (asides from our "freak athleticism:rolleyes:) I've had to compete against a much bigger group of skilled athletes to even be moderately successful, I got to be a college wrestler (for all intents and purposes a pro athlete that took classes as well), got the best rehab, doctors, facilities, access to strength coaches, individual coaching and the tough as hell environment that is a college room plus:D having the privilege to train bjj during that time and even more so since

and unlike you I'm not just a volunteer coach who's never had to develop or get people ready for competition with my job and future employment at stake.. I've also put my face on camera and been willing to share/show techniques and admit to losses in college or my problems developing a guard etc.

YOU for the most part... are a hobbyist who hasn't competed helps out at gym in a little country with (by your own admission) very low numbers of people who train overall and way too much illiteracy, disparity in wealth to actually change that and your 'high level' training was visiting a gym in Brazil a couple times (by your own admission)

Is that clear enough of an explanation of why I might be more qualified to talk about some of these topics than you.. or do you still not comprehend the "super athlete" mean wrestler.. were 2 syllable words too much?

I had been ignoring you, until your stupid shit and backtracking came out.

And I mean this and I won't edit my post because I want this in print.. I'm not threatening either.. I truly wish I could go to Paraguay and have a friendly little spar to shut you up. I'd even film it just so even if it didn't turn out the way I'd expect, you could try to embarrass me. I know it will probably never happen so in the meantime.. fuck off and I hope this isn't too confusing for you

Maybe because I trained and competed in a division I room for 5 years plus have trained bjj almost 6 years now and have gotten to train with some high level blackbelts including some former world champs. I've actually been around elite training day in and day out and competed and trained as a job with academic and financial comp not a hobby, in fact I'm a perfect example of your reason wrestlers do so much better than bjj (asides from our "freak athleticism:rolleyes:) I've had to compete against a much bigger group of skilled athletes to even be moderately successful, I got to be a college wrestler (for all intents and purposes a pro athlete that took classes as well), got the best rehab, doctors, facilities, access to strength coaches, individual coaching and the tough as hell environment that is a college room plus:D having the privilege to train bjj during that time and even more so since

and unlike you I'm not just a volunteer coach who's never had to develop or get people ready for competition with my job and future employment at stake.. I've also put my face on camera and been willing to share/show techniques and admit to losses in college or my problems developing a guard etc.

YOU for the most part... are a hobbyist who hasn't competed helps out at gym in a little country with (by your own admission) very low numbers of people who train overall and way too much illiteracy, disparity in wealth to actually change that and your 'high level' training was visiting a gym in Brazil a couple times (by your own admission)

Is that clear enough of an explanation of why I might be more qualified to talk about some of these topics than you.. or do you still not comprehend the "super athlete" mean wrestler.. were 2 syllable words too much?

I had been ignoring you, until your stupid shit and backtracking came out.

And I mean this and I won't edit my post because I want this in print.. I'm not threatening either.. I truly wish I could go to Paraguay and have a friendly little spar to shut you up. I'd even film it just so even if it didn't turn out the way I'd expect, you could try to embarrass me. I know it will probably never happen so in the meantime.. fuck off and I hope this isn't too confusing for you

it actually isn't, I can write and speak in 4 different languages although my English sucks balls as my English reading comprehension also does, your written skills do make things quite hard sometimes, You will be very welcome to come downhere and teach me a lesson, never rolled with a d1 wrestler, take a plane, it isn't so expensive... Pm when you decide to come downhere, all the while before that, fuck off, and keep your silly threats to your self...

it actually isn't, I can write speak in 4 different languages although my English sucks balls as my English reading comprehension also does, your written skills do make things quite hard sometimes, You will be very welcome to come downhere and teach me a lesson, never rolled with a d1 wrestler, take a plane, it isn't so expensive... Pm when you decide to come downhere, all the while before that, fuck off, and keep your silly threats to your self...
1. What about my writing was unclear?
2. I specifically stated that it wasn't a threat.. just something that would be nice, and you'd even have the excuse I'm a better athlete and always have a fallback of a moral victory
3. I'm not wealthy enough that plane tickets are a trivial expense, which actually explains a lot about you
4. And oh, yeah you couldn't even address the points I made about qualifications

1. What about my writing was unclear?
2. I specifically stated that it wasn't a threat.. just something that would be nice, and you'd even have the excuse I'm a better athlete and always have a fallback of a moral victory
3. I'm not wealthy enough that plane tickets are a trivial expense, which actually explains a lot about you
4. And oh, yeah you couldn't even address the points I made about qualifications

Dude you are a d1 wrestler I'm well aware you are pretty good at wrestling (don't know about Bjj) but you however do not own the truth, i will not get into Another pissing contest with you, I do not care about you, and again nor does sherdog cares about our mutual dislike... You wanna come down here, dont worry, buy the ticket let me know with a coulple of weeks before hand, I might be able to arrange you some seminars, and I can even arrange you shelter if you need to...you will end up paying very little and my country is very cheap, I will even pick you up from the airport...

yes, yours, EBI OT rules are the best thing it happened in grappling in a long time, IMO.

No. But once again, no one else is really doing anything to make the art more mainstream so it is what it is.

yes, last EBI, only dude he hh'd was rafel domingos.

Who else did he beat again?

you are stating and saying this like hh are not part of bjj, my only response to that is, who are you to say such thing? didnt realized you had to power to decide what is and is not bjj. Is only a logical answer from someone who disagrees with your "strong" opinion.

No, I'm sorry you're taking it that way but I've never said that or even implied that. On a technicality heel hooks aren't actually a part of BJJ, they're part of submission grappling...

im just an Eddie fan, and hate irrational claims are done, dude went toe to toe for 2 hours with someone whos beaten rafel fucking mendes and a whole bunch of the elite, yet his marketing? if eddie is all mkt, what he hell is the rest of competitors of the world? soccer player pretending to be doing jiu jitsu?

Who has he actually beaten? So he spammed leg attacks against someone who is considered an elite and went to a draw, so now he's king dick? By that account, Brendan Schaub is an elite for taking Cyborg to a draw LOL.

yeah Galvao cyborg and others that dropped off the OW tournament didnt seem to have much problems with the OT rules, untill they found out that other elite competitors were also join the tournament, then eveyone had a good excuse not to compete...

Right, it was because other elite competitors entered...

Yeah, I remember that now lol.

He RNCed two of his opponents at the last EBI (Sergio Hernandez and Mike Davila). His other two finishes were heel hooks, but it's not like he can't do anything but attack legs. Obviously leg attacks are some of his primary game, but he has excellent guard retention and back attacks too.

His guard retention is sick. Haven't seen too much of his back attacks though. Any specific matches I could watch?

oh god, no.

i can't figure out why people are in love with these rules, for the life of me. and it's often the very same people who complain about the IBJJF point system and people "gaming" it.

under IBJJF you have to produce some kind of offense, whereas you can win under EBI rules by being utterly defensive and escaping quicker than your opponent in the OT. it's ridiculous.

Back