Why Jacobs Not Weighing in Was an Issue

185 lber hangs close with 170 lber. News at 9.

And stay tuned at 10 when we'll be airing the premiere of the documentary "Numbers: When, How, And Why They Get Made Up."

Tough matchup with size and length advantages doesn't = "exposed" Imo.
eh, in a way he was exposed.

I always said he was a pretty one dimensional fighter. That doesn't mean he's a bad fighter just that he doesn't mix things up very well. Personally, I didn't feel like he did a good job adjusting to Jacobs at all. He fought smart and methodical but I don't believe I saw him land a counter all night. He was just stalking and headhunting, throwing those same combos over and over. I do recall seeing a couple of sneaky uppercuts but aside from that, he fought exactly like he's always fought and eventually as a pro, you're going to fight guys who can analyze and adjust better.

Exposed implies that he's finished and I wouldn't say thats true but definitely looked one dimensional against Jacobs.

I've bitched about this in prior fights of his, but GGG is one of the best body punchers in the sport but he doesn't work downstairs nearly as much as he should. He was headhunting all night and Danny showed some very good all around movement, with his legs but imo, especially with his head rarely being right there in the middle for Golovkin to hit.

Everyone knows I'm a GGG fanboy but I'm also a big fan of Danny. I haven't scored the fight yet but I can say for a fact that Danny was the smarter fighter that night and put on a better overall performance than Golovkin did. Congrats to him for that, he looked very good and GGG didn't look all that good himself. I think that's more of a testament to Jacobs' skills as a fighter rather than Golovkin being underwhelming. It's definitely both, but you gotta give credit for making a guy like Golovkin look as beatable as he did that night.

Nobody's had a better performance against him in his pro career than Danny did this last weekend. Respect to him for coming in ready. RR was right this wasn't gonna be a run over like a lot of us thought. It was the opposite. Great fight. GGG's stock goes down with a win and Danny's goes up in a loss, that should say it all. I will say that Golovkin is human and these things happen, nobody's gonna look like a killer everytime out (we saw that with Chocolatito earlier in the night).

In the end you can't help but give credit to both for showing that championship mettle that only a small % of fighters seem to have to make this the fight it was. Can't wait to see what Danny does next, hopefully a rematch or another big payday of some kind in the near future.

Last edited:
Could GGG have sat on the IBF title and just not put it up? Would the IBF be cool without getting paid for that fight?
I'm not sure to be honest. But I do want all the belts unified. I thought Danny won but at least those belts didn't splinter. Saunders is the only straggler left. If GGG can can snatch that one up it would be a lot of pressure on Canelo to make the fight. He could probably still bank on just his popularity but as far as being considered the MW champ he'd need GGG. I know he's lineal but he cherry picked his credibility away.

Here's the thing. Should all weigh ins be day of the fight? Yes. Are they? No.

Jacobs didn't do anything wrong. Your personal opinion of what he SHOULD have done is one thing. What he's allowed to do is something else entirely.

Golovkin, by way of his desire to unify all the titles, put himself at something of a competitive disadvantage. I don't imagine he would have been much bigger than 170 anyway since he was at 162 lbs. a week before the fight. He didn't make a drastic cut to rehydrate.

Jacobs is a big super middle, an average light heavyweight, or a small cruiser. If he can get to 160 for weigh ins then he's allowed to get back up to whatever he can. Sucks, but that's the system and he's operating in it.

In other words, don't hate the player. Hate the game.

I'm not sure to be honest. But I do want all the belts unified. I thought Danny won but at least those belts didn't splinter. Saunders is the only straggler left. If GGG can can snatch that one up it would be a lot of pressure on Canelo to make the fight. He could probably still bank on just his popularity but as far as being considered the MW champ he'd need GGG. I know he's lineal but he cherry picked his credibility away.
Yeah I woild love to know the answer to that question but same thing. Thats something I dont know either. Just shows its a lot more complicated than people are making it out to be or understand.
100% agree on the title unification points.
I just dont think Canelo or Oscar care about belts. They think they are bigger than the belts. They are kind of right about that though. Also BJS fight should be a showcase for GGG. Hopefully thay restores some of his mythical abilities.

185 lber hangs close with 170 lber. News at 9.

You must not have heard. The 185 lbs.'er gave the 170 lbs'er a boxing lesson, completely outclassed him, and won at least 9 rounds in the biggest robbery since George Nelson was cleaning out banks.

I'd pay good money for the snuff film that would be GGG/BJS.

Loeffler said they had a gentlemen's agreement the IBF belt would be part of the deal.

You must not have heard. The 185 lbs.'er gave the 170 lbs'er a boxing lesson, completely outclassed him, and won at least 9 rounds in the biggest robbery since George Nelson was cleaning out banks.

That is both subjective and - in the case of the official scoring which is all that matters here (just as much as it did in Pacquiao vs Bradley I) - incorrect.

There was a close fight on Saturday. Jacobs let slip enough moments in the fight, got knocked down, and didn't leave enough of an impression in the minds of the judges to win. Saying he won at least nine rounds is a bold statement. There was no robbery and that is an insignificant remark. Maybe if George Nelson did a better job like, like Jacobs should have, more people would know who the hell George Nelson is.

No they shouldnt, why not go read a little bit about how dehydration affects the fluid that protects the brain from hitting the skull when an impact occurs.

By having same day weight-ins, you are basically asking fighters to gamble with thier lives(which many of them are that poor, they would do).

Don't be fooling yourself into thinking it would make everyone fight at thier natural weight...it wouldn't, it would just make the sport a lot more dangerous and turn it into more a bloodsport than the do-gooders already think it is

No they shouldnt, why not go read a little bit about how dehydration affects the fluid that protects the brain from hitting the skull when an impact occurs.

By having same day weight-ins, you are basically asking fighters to gamble with thier lives(which many of them are that poor, they would do).

Don't be fooling yourself into thinking it would make everyone fight at thier natural weight...it wouldn't, it would just make the sport a lot more dangerous and turn it into more a bloodsport than the do-gooders already think it is

I think that's something people constantly forget about in prize fighting. People always get romantic about "legacy's" and "pride", but most of these guys are just trying to put food on the table, make lives better for their families.

I'm a GGG fan,...but people twisting themselves in knots to make excuses for him are embarrassing. He won the fight, it went the distance, big deal. Jacobs made the weight, he was within his rights to forego additional IBF restrictions. Only deluded fans thought GGG was invincible. Everyone else saw a great but flawed fighter who simply hasn't been tested (no major fault of his own). I love GGG, but the heights his mythical status was reaching was getting ridiculous. That said, I love his style, and he's got balls. He's great for the sport and I don't know why some people hate him.

Jacobs was a lot bigger n yeah it helped him absorb shots a little better ........ but GGG was expossed. Simple as that. I think GGG won a close fight but it was a,fight within the margin of error.
This coming from a big GG fan.

I do think the Canelo fight is made easier now.

Saying GGG was exposed demeans DJ's performance.
Guy did his best at channeling a Buster Douglas and nearly pulled it off.

To quote @wilddeuces above, the only things "exposed" was our beliefs that DJ had a weak chin / way over his head.

Hence the sig even though I won our bet :)

Never ever should that be a thing.

It's so incredibly easy to lose some of the fluid that surrounds your brain. The last time you were even a little thirsty you were missing well over 20% of the brain fluid that you should always have. Yes, by just being thirsty. It takes 24 to 48 hours to refill that fluid because dehydration is easy and re-hydration is not. That fluid is the only thing protecting your brain from your skull. Dehydrated fighters can die of course but they are also prone to long-term cumulative damage as well.

At the end of the day these guys are all just trying to make a living by entertaining fans. We already expect so much of them. Asking them to up the chances of dying significantly just isn't fair. So what if one guy has 10 pounds on some other guy. Heavyweights can fight guys 40 or 50 pounds bigger and no one cares.

The notion that Danny's weight was an issue is a bunch of bullshit!

Danny made the contracted weight of 160lbs, shit I think he even came in at 159 or something like that. That's the only weight that should matter, had he missed weight then that would be a different story. He made weight!

Danny and team chose not to participate in the IBF weigh in stipulation. So be it, that is their choice. Had they won, their punishment would have been no begin crowned the IBF champion. That would have fallen back on Danny and his teams decisions.

People just cant warp their head around the fact that GGG didn't look like the monster he was made out to be. This is coming from a GGG fan that was rooting for him that night. Danny was just that good that night, and it wasn't because of his weight. He was able to adjust and box GGG in the middle of the ring, hell even after he got knocked down he came back and made adjustments. Dannys team was also giving him great advise in the corner. Anyone who has been around here long enough knew what the game plan was. RR was telling us that they were going to box him in the middle of the ring and tie GGG on the ropes, and that's what happen. Danny was just that good and it wasn't because he ballooned back up to 180 or whatever. People have a hard time understanding that. Hell I had my doubts about Danny as well going into that fight, but I was proven wrong.

GGG and his team haven't said one word regarding the weight, at least none that I've heard of. They aren't blaming Danny and his team for the weight. Instead they are moving on from that fight, something GGG fans should do as well. Had Danny got the nod, then maybe GGG and team would have complained about the weight. Who's to say.

If they ever run that fight back, maybe institute a rehydration clause.

Lol at natural size.... and magic eye scales
One of these guys fights at 175 pounds
The other at 205 pounds and much higher
The dude with at least a 30 lb weight advantage looks weight classes smaller.
Edit skip to 50 sec mark on video

Last edited:
I'm not saying it was a robbery, but if it was, it was only the biggest one since the Chocolatito fight earlier in the night... :D

To be clear, I'm not blaming weight or anything. I think ggg won and it was pretty clear win.

I think it was a shit move. I hate shit like that and people do it all the time. If he wasn't going to fight for the belt, let it be known so weigh ins can be adjusted accordingly. Not keep your mouth shut so you get an advantage. It's just slimy to me. Some people like that I guess.

Now maybe I'm wrong and ggg still had to weigh in for the ibf. Either way Jacobs knowingly wasn't competing for the ibf and didn't say anything in hopes for having an advantage.

It's legal but it's bullshit. Happens in everyday life and people are fine with it. I'm not that kind of person.

Jacobs didn't do anything wrong. Your personal opinion of what he SHOULD have done is one thing. What he's allowed to do is something else entirely.

Golovkin, by way of his desire to unify all the titles, put himself at something of a competitive disadvantage. I don't imagine he would have been much bigger than 170 anyway since he was at 162 lbs. a week before the fight. He didn't make a drastic cut to rehydrate.

Jacobs is a big super middle, an average light heavyweight, or a small cruiser. If he can get to 160 for weigh ins then he's allowed to get back up to whatever he can. Sucks, but that's the system and he's operating in it.

In other words, don't hate the player. Hate the game.
Except in the press conference Jacobs and his team repeatedly said that hes taking the belt, wants the belt.

IMO he's a cheap pick and probably tried to bulk as big as he could.

It's the shit Jones would do if he could.

Back