Why Jacobs Not Weighing in Was an Issue

rshawneecarbon1

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
It's simple really, to the people acting like it's no big deal. Had zero effect.

Jacobs recently said after the fight he had no intentions of fighting for the ibf belt. Perfectly ok in my book. You don't like the weigh in rule, or maybe you just don't want to pay the fees.

So, you're still wondering what you're missing? GGG had to make the ibf limit, while being under the impression the belt was on the line. So Jacobs clearly had intention of ballooning up while ggg had to make weight, under the impression the belt was oh the line, limiting him to 170.

Clear motive on Jacobs part to pull a fast one for the advantage. Shit move.-If Jacobs had no intention to fight for the belt it should have been made known before the fight.

Horse Shit.

It's GGG's belt so he should be prepared to meet the requirements for it regardless of what any other fighter does or does not do. It's his trinket so it's his burden. He loves belts. His ultimate goal is to get them all at the same time. Jacobs never paid the sanctioning fee so he was never obligated to fight for that belt. Plus GGG weighed practically the same the morning of the fight as he did in the ring so it didn't have much of an effect on him at all.

Both fighters made weight.

One fighter decided to pay a huge fee and get on the scale the next morning because he wanted to keep his belt.

The other fight didn't want to spend the money or get on the scale or win that belt.

All those things are perfectly fair.

Jacobs was a lot bigger n yeah it helped him absorb shots a little better ........ but GGG was expossed. Simple as that. I think GGG won a close fight but it was a,fight within the margin of error.
This coming from a big GG fan.

I do think the Canelo fight is made easier now.

It's simple really, to the people acting like it's no big deal. Had zero effect.

Jacobs recently said after the fight he had no intentions of fighting for the ibf belt. Perfectly ok in my book. You don't like the weigh in rule, or maybe you just don't want to pay the fees.

So, you're still wondering what you're missing? GGG had to make the ibf limit, while being under the impression the belt was on the line. So Jacobs clearly had intention of ballooning up while ggg had to make weight, under the impression the belt was oh the line, limiting him to 170.

Clear motive on Jacobs part to pull a fast one for the advantage. Shit move.-If Jacobs had no intention to fight for the belt it should have been made known before the fight.
You're assuming Jacobs team didn't let Gennady know their intention. Why don't you ask RR if that is actually the case.

What are you talking about?
The IBF belt was on the line for GGG. He wanted to keep that belt. He wants all the middle weight belts. Saunders belt is next. Then the lineal title from Canelo.

Are you trying to say if GGG knew Jacobs did not want the IBF belt he didnt have to put it up and could of sat on it? Saving the sanctioning fee and also not having to do the 2nd weigh in himself. Is that what you meant?

Jacobs was a lot bigger n yeah it helped him absorb shots a little better ........ but GGG was expossed. Simple as that. I think GGG won a close fight but it was a,fight within the margin of error.

He won a close fight.

He was NOT exposed. Jacobs performed better than people expected. The impression left by one does not have to diminish our impression of the other. Especially not to the point where we completely re-evaluate Golovkin as a fighter. We already knew he didn't move his head, and we already knew that smart movement causes problems for EVERY fighter. Let's drop him from the p4p lists then. Paper champ. Loser! You know what? Golovkin is pillow-fisted and has no skill. Everybody was paid to take a dive against an unknown Kazakh...

Really. What was exposed? Our assumptions that Jacobs couldn't take a punch? Or that Jacobs didn't have the skill to hang with the best? Yeah those assumptions were exposed. Golovkin's the #1 middleweight and Jacobs, who lost a close fight is a #2 middleweight. End of story.

Tough matchup with size and length advantages doesn't = "exposed" Imo.

GGG was out jabbing Jacobs all night even with a size and speed disadvantage. The only thing exposed was how much he's willing to give up for those belts, Jacobs camp knew this and exploited it, he even said so himself after the fight.

Horse Shit.

It's GGG's belt so he should be prepared to meet the requirements for it regardless of what any other fighter does or does not do. It's his trinket so it's his burden. He loves belts. His ultimate goal is to get them all at the same time. Jacobs never paid the sanctioning fee so he was never obligated to fight for that belt. Plus GGG weighed practically the same the morning of the fight as he did in the ring so it didn't have much of an effect on him at all.

Both fighters made weight.

One fighter decided to pay a huge fee and get on the scale the next morning because he wanted to keep his belt.

The other fight didn't want to spend the money or get on the scale or win that belt.

All those things are perfectly fair.
bf9.gif

What a lying cunt. "I'm taking all his belts" (b4 fight). He and his team said it, clearly on the preview show at the press conference.

Skips weigh in because he's way over 10 lbs bigger than fight weight so it's not for the belt.

What a shit.

What a lying cunt. "I'm taking all his belts" (b4 fight). He and his team said it, clearly on the preview show at the press conference.

Skips weigh in because he's way over 10 lbs bigger than fight weight so it's not for the belt.

What a shit.
Well at least this is a different point with some evidence. I do kind of remember him saying that.
But so what?
-So I guess boxing needs 2-3 weigh ins per fight
- Lie detector tests for the pre fight trash talk used to hype the fight.

I generally agree with Can opener here. There's nothing wrong with what Jacobs did competitively or morally. But the sanctioning fee excuse being constantly brought up to justify it are bogus.

If you think you can win... it makes zero logistical or financial sense to leave a title on the table. Its short sighted, and penny rich pound foolish.

But it seems noone wants to say that Jacobs felt he needed the size advantage to be competitive. Thats why he sacrificed the belt, lol, Not the stupid sanctioning fee.

You're right it was sneaky and he was looking for an advantage but it's part of fighting. I'm glad GGG made weight anyway. Who knows if they would have pulled some crazy shit and stripped him for not making weight.

If you think you can win... it makes zero logistical or financial sense to leave a title on the table. Its short sighted, and penny rich pound foolish.
Thats just not true. It makes plenty of financial sense to not pay about $34,000 for a belt that is considered lesser than the one you have or will obtain. ESPECIALLY when you are purposefully planning to leave the weight class. When you leave the weight class you drop the belt. Hes only staying at middle weight to hit the GGG or Canelo sweepstakes again. So he would be paying well over $68,000- $100,000 to keep a belt that wont make a bit of difference in his negotiations if he won over the next 2-3 fights at 160lbs. If he beat GGG people acted like the IBF belt would add over $34,000 to his pay for his next fight. Thats not how it works.
If you only have 2-3 more fights at middleweight.... Why would you spend $68,000- $100,000 for a lesser belt you want to get rid of that really wont increase your payday by anywhere near that when you have the better belts????????
You still may want to spend the money but to say it makes ZERO sense is just not true.
Also, if they won they had no plans on unifying with BJS anyways. GGG wants to unify. There have been many champs who have dropped belts strictly for financial reasons. Im going to guess some of them were even the smaller guy. Lol

Also, would like to point out Roy Jones Jr said there was a flip side to coming in that much bigger. Said could decrease speed some. He should know. Just saying.

Im sure it had to do with ALL the reasons. Not just to "cheat" or "save money."

You're right it was sneaky and he was looking for an advantage but it's part of fighting. I'm glad GGG made weight anyway. Who knows if they would have pulled some crazy shit and stripped him for not making weight.
Could GGG have sat on the IBF title and just not put it up? Would the IBF be cool without getting paid for that fight?

Like most things it's a little of column A and a little bit of column B. If the plan was to move up to 168 after Golovkin (barring a Canelo deal), what financial sense does that 160lb belt make? So why do all the extra duty that goes along with it?

The IBF can do whatever they want, but the idea that a fighter needs to follow the rules of some second-rate private organization or face the wrath of fans is bullshit.

Back