Why Isn't There Pressure On Stipe Miocic To Save UFC215?

I like Stipe, but unfortunately he is not a big draw. Based on PPV history, the only times the PPVs he has been the main event has met or exceeded 300,000 buys have been when there was another attractive fight or co-main on the maiin card:

UFC 198: Werdum vs Miocic (217,000)
UFC 203: Miocic v Overeem (450,000--CM Punk fight on main card)
UFC 211: Miocic vs. Dos Santos 2 (300,000--Joanna as co-main event)

Aren't those numbers more of the new normal now than a sign of a low selling card? Aside from Conor, Ronda, Brock nobody is expected to hit a million buys. Then there's the hope that guys like GSP, Jones and Diaz bros can still draw their higher 700k + numbers.

Aren't those numbers more of the new normal now than a sign of a low selling card? Aside from Conor, Ronda, Brock nobody is expected to hit a million buys. Then there's the hope that guys like GSP, Jones and Diaz bros can still draw their higher 700k + numbers.

That's why it's retarded to single out Stipe as not being a draw. Jones himself sold 322k against OSP, 310k against Gus and 350k against Glover. And these numbers were always normal for a HW title fight without Lesnar. Only two HW title fights in the history without Lesnar did better than these numbers.

No, I'm saying that Stipe should NOT be demanding a bigger paycheck. I don' blame him for not fighting Francis.
I agree. Even though he is the best fighter he doesn't sell PPVs or tickets. $600K win or lose sounds pretty good for him compared to other fighters. He probably has PPV points but he doesn't sell enough PPVs to earn much on it.

They aren't terrible but it does show he's not a big draw. Jones vs DC sold over 800K

since when did joanna sell ppvs?

I like Stipe, but unfortunately he is not a big draw. Based on PPV history, the only times the PPVs he has been the main event has met or exceeded 300,000 buys have been when there was another attractive fight or co-main on the maiin card:

UFC 198: Werdum vs Miocic (217,000)
UFC 203: Miocic v Overeem (450,000--CM Punk fight on main card)
UFC 211: Miocic vs. Dos Santos 2 (300,000--Joanna as co-main event)

joanna doesnt draw fuck all - 300k for 211 is pretty standard for a hw title fight these days that isnt lesnar or some hyped up rivalry

They aren't terrible but it does show he's not a big draw. Jones vs DC sold over 800K

Yeah, but DC vs Gus sold 250k and Jones vs OSP 320k.

So nobody at HW and LHW is a draw other than Jones against DC.

Yeah, but DC vs Gus sold 250k and Jones vs OSP 320k.

So nobody at HW and LHW is a draw other than Jones against DC.
we'll have to see how Jones vs Gus does. But I get your point, there aren't many people who sell PPVs nowadays.

No, I'm saying that Stipe should NOT be demanding a bigger paycheck. I don' blame him for not fighting Francis.
{<huh}

You make it sound like he doesn't want to fight Ngannou. Don't be stupid.

No one knows who the baddest man on the planet is with Stipe on top. He doesn't have a typical American name. He is very tied to a Croatian population which is small in the US. The fact he's handsome and a fireman doesn't put butts in seats. Persona does -

10000408.gif
brock-drool.gif
Sadly you're right. Just goes to show you how dumb the average mma fan is.

No one knows who the baddest man on the planet is with Stipe on top. He doesn't have a typical American name. He is very tied to a Croatian population which is small in the US. The fact he's handsome and a fireman doesn't put butts in seats. Persona does -

10000408.gif
brock-drool.gif
He just KO'd or TKO'd Hunt, Arlovski, Werdum, Overeem and JDS in a row.

My butt is in the seat regardless of his persona when you can deliver the KO to that murderers row.

He is the heavyweight champion of the MMA world. I am not sure what the UFC is paying him, but if it is as low as he seems to think(Which is not surprising) then give him enough to make it enticing. The Champion should never make less than the challenger, regardless of persona.

That is just your opinion.

I think people are interested in Ferguson vs Lee. It is a very interesting match-up with high stakes for both fighters. You can't really be a fan of the sport if you don't think it is a main event fight.

I'm a big fan and think it's a great fight but it's no main event to me. If it was khabib/ferguson sure but not lee. Lee may even be better than khabib but he hasn't proven it although he's been great of late.

I would.
He has little, if any, charisma.
He is very skilled but needs an opponent that's marketable to actually sell ppv's.
Sad sad days we live in , look at boxing top draws who were killers , Pac was a killer with 0 charisma , GGG is a killer with 0 Charisma , IRON MIKE 0 charisma , ppl payed top dollars knowing they will see Mike KO someone in one round and they were fine with it , if you have a killer that KO everyone in the first round and he is a HW which is the top division in any combat sport and you fail to promote him its your promotion that is failing.
Dana needs to stop promoting boxing events and start promoting his HW killer we don't need another Conor clone , we have one and its enough.
Also not sure how is going to save a card if ppl here say he is no draw ..... the HW champ doing a fight on 3 weeks notice .... is this a real sport or what?

Last edited:
Sad sad days we live in , look at boxing top draws who were killers , Pac was a killer with 0 charisma , GGG is a killer with 0 Charisma , IRON MIKE 0 charisma , ppl payed top dollars knowing they will see Mike KO someone in one round and they were fine with it , if you have a killer that KO everyone in the first round and he is a HW which is the top division in any combat sport and you fail to promote him its your promotion that is failing.
Dana needs to stop promoting boxing events and start promoting his HW killer we don't need another Conor clone , we have one and its enough.
Also not sure how is going to save a card if ppl here say he is no draw ..... the HW champ doing a fight on 3 weeks notice .... is this a real sport or what?
Agreed, except the part about Tyson having 0 charisma. You don't have to be a big talker to have charisma, some people create it via "persona".

Agreed, except the part about Tyson having 0 charisma. You don't have to be a big talker to have charisma, some people create it via "persona".
He didn't create anything , the promoters created the killer persona for him (and he did the rest in the ring of course) , every fight they will tell us how scary he is and how the other guy is scared (which is obvious) they managed to convince the world that he was the scariest man alive (which he was :) ) , the same as the MMA HW champ should be looked upon , boxing is rallying back behind the HW division again , when you have a good HW division its the best show on earth.
ppl love violent man when they watch MMA or boxing they love to have a killer to root for as they want to feel apart of the killer team , Charisma is of course a big + but good promoters in the past did great with MUCH less talented showmans as Conor for example.

He didn't create anything , the promoters created the killer persona for him (and he did the rest in the ring of course) , every fight they will tell us how scary he is and how the other guy is scared (which is obvious) they managed to convince the world that he was the scariest man alive (which he was :) ) , the same as the MMA HW champ should be looked upon , boxing is rallying back behind the HW division again , when you have a good HW division its the best show on earth.
ppl love violent man when they watch MMA or boxing they love to have a killer to root for as they want to feel apart of the killer team , Charisma is of course a big + but good promoters in the past did great with MUCH less talented showmans as Conor for example.
I WOULD SAY THAT TYSON'S PERFORMANCES PRECEDED THE PROMOTIONAL CLAIMS.
HE WAS KNOCKING GUYS OUT BEFORE HE WAS REALLY IN THE PUBLIC EYE.
PROMOTERS DIDN'T CREATE THE RIPPED TOWEL, NO SOCKS, BLACK TRUNKS LOOK.
(SORRY 4 THE CAPS, IT'S A WORK THING)
Take for instance that aura that N'Gannou has, there's a certain amount of thrill and anticipation in watching his fights, not unlike early Arlovski.
Stipe simply does not have that & quite frankly very few do.
So for the very skilled fighters w/out that type of "it" factor, well they have other means to manifest a following:
-build a long & illustrious career of high achievement(Nog, Randy, Hendo)
-talk until they are blue in the face(Conor)
-controversy, not something that is created so much as what seems to follow certain people(Jones)
-their promoter somehow pushes them to a degree that the public takes notice(Ronda)

The fans don't care about fighters' rationale. Jon Jones who walks around 230 is being pressure to fight a HW. Demetrious Johnson who is one of the smallest FLWs is being pressured to fight bigger BWs and etc.

Correction ...

DJ was being pressured to fight a former BW champ but at DJs FLW limit.

DJ who didnt care before about who is next ... all the sudden NOW cared about who is is next.

He also acted like a very scary guy himself. You couldn't sell Stipe as the scariest man on earth because he doesn't act like it.

Back