Why isn't there more Game of Thrones games?

Quinton Overeem

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
GoT is the biggest thing right now, has been for a long time. It could be a great cash cow for the gaming industry (many things could be btw). Only Telltale made a "small" project about it.

What about a 2D versus game like Samurai Shodown? many different characters, many different weapons, a badass boss = the king of the dead army.

What about a 3D versus game Soul Calibur? for the same reasons

What about a Civilization-like game? Or a Warcraft? World of Warcraft? Many different "teams", many heroes.

What d'ya say folks? Other genres?

PS : No spoilers from the book or ban.

TV shows and movies in general don't translate well into video games, and vice versa. Most games developed based on shows are budget titles intended for cash grab, and most reputable publishers stay well away from that.

TV shows and movies in general don't translate well into video games, and vice versa. Most games developed based on shows are budget titles intended for cash grab, and most reputable publishers stay well away from that.
Agreed. Which is why if the demand is for games that require skills (thus the genres above), maybe we could get good games. On fighting games, the cash grab system is focused on paying for new costumes etc.. In RTS games, I'm kinda out of touch. Bonus items maybe? Level gaining?

You know it just dawned on me the Video game platform would be a great way to deal with how huge the universe it and do it justice.

something like a dark souls/ shadows of type time delivery for it

Last edited:
GoT is the biggest thing right now, has been for a long time. It could be a great cash cow for the gaming industry (many things could be btw). Only Telltale made a "small" project about it.

There was also a shitty RPG on the 360/PS3.

Yeah, I remember it ! :p
Let's use the fact that it was still the "beggining" of the GoT era to forgive them.

I'm guessing the reason that we don't see more shit, has to come down to licensing costs/complications, and the lack of success of past endeavors. I don't think the RPG or TT's game sold particularly well, nor were they well received.

I am thinking more like a co-op hack n slash like this long lost gem. Basically, relive all the battles and fight scenes from Drogo to the Wall. Maybe even some light stealth missions.

220px-Rotkboxart2.jpg

Simply put?
They're not sure how much prequel/sequel/spin-offs they can make viable for film/TV. Once they exhaust that, they'll make some games.

Once you see the HBO series conclude. Expect a bidding war if one isnt happening already.

If they were able to do a Eve Online type of game structure in a GoT's universe, i'd play.

On top of the incredibly poor reputation they carry into the gaming world, where gamers usually don't take these products seriously, it costs a massive amount to license IP this popular.

Combine those two truths and you see why nobody wants to take the risk.

It's not even as big as The Walking Dead.
This is objectively wrong. Game of Thrones is the most watched television show in the world. It got even bigger than Top Gear.

A Total War game based on the books would be a lot of fun.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/telltales-got-season-2-now-on-hold.3610355/

It wasn't a small project, and apparently it didn't sell enough to warrant a sequel to continue the cliffhanger ending.

I can't consider a point & click game other than a small project. As much as I'm a fan of the genre. (made a lot of 'em, WD, Tales of Borderlands, Baphomet games, Myst, Syberia, Amerzone, Wolf Among us and others.)

And not many people play those so that's the reason imo. Also, many people posted reviews about the choices in the game being fake choices (all leading to the same conclusions), which makes it worse. And third reason, people want complete games, not digital games in a box, no seasons. They want to see the end of the game for the full price that they paid.

The first RPG game on 360/PS3, as far as I remember, had no GoT actors in it, and no marketing behind it.

Last edited:
I can't consider a point & click game other than a small project. As much as I'm a fan of the genre. (made a lot of 'em, WD, Tales of Borderlands, Baphomet games, Myst, Syberia, Amerzone, Wolf Among us and others.)

And not many people play those so that's the reason imo. Also, many people posted reviews about the choices in the game being fake choices (all leading to the same conclusions), which makes it worse. And third reason, people want complete games, not digital games in a box, no seasons. They want to see the end of the game for the full price that they paid.

The first RPG game on 360/PS3, as far as I remember, had no GoT actors in it, and no marketing behind it.

Sorry, but that doesn't explain why Telltale's GoT game didn't sell well when their other games that use the same formula (including false choices) did sell well.

In fact, besides The Wolf Among Us, GoT is the first game they haven't made a sequel to, and have no plans to.

On top of the incredibly poor reputation they carry into the gaming world, where gamers usually don't take these products seriously, it costs a massive amount to license IP this popular.

Combine those two truths and you see why nobody wants to take the risk.

This.

In the last few years, the only license that turned into a great game/s has been Shadow of Mordor/War.

Some video games have cinematics that are so epic, they can make movies out of them though.

Back