Why isn't the MMA Hour on ESPN or something?

Yeah totally. I mean look at the guest list for today:

Chuck Liddell
Ryan Bader
Dustin Poirier
Eddie Alvarez
Chael Sonnen
Demian Maia
Israel Adesanya
Mackenzie Dern
Raquel Pennington
Total cans, right? Ok fine, let's go back a week.

Sarah Kaufman
Joanna Jedrzejczyk
Jorge Masvidal
Justin Willis
King Mo
Paul Daley
JDS
Neiman Gracie
Josh Emmett
Cody Garbrandt
I'll give you Justin Willis as lesser known, but he's 3-0 already in the UFC. Emmett just headlined. Kaufman won a belt in Invicta. Gracie is 8-0 with 7 subs.

Then let's take a look at the week prior, shall we?

Dillon Danis
Frankie Edgar
Derrick Lewis
Kenny Florian
Nick Newell
John Gotti III
Chad Mendes
Jake Shields
Floyd Mayweather's security guard talking about Floyd fighting in MMA
It's a bit less known than the others, but Dillon Danis has become a media starling, Nick Newell is finally getting his shot (and has a story), John Gotti has his name, and the security guard is everyone's inside scoop on Team Floyd. Should I go on?

I'm not a fan of Helwani, but he pulls excellent guest

Because no network that doesn't have the UFC contract cares enough about MMA to give him a show, and any network that does have the UFC contract isn't giving him a show because the UFC hates him

Because ESPN doesn't deal in MMA gossip. NFL/MLB/NBA gossip, sure, but nobody cares about MMA gossip.

Ariel has been trying to get on TV for years, he did have a brief stint as a UFC correspondent for Fox but his weaselness got him canned. If he's not getting any TV time it's not for lack of trying, it's just that everyone behind the scenes know he's an instigating weasel and don't want to hire him. Fighters and managers know he's got a big drama show going on as far as YouTube MMA shows are concerned and use his platform to bring attention to themselves, that's about it.

Ariel has one foot out of MMA anyway. He went to Lomachenko's fight on Saturday instead of covering UFC 224, and he no longer travels to UFC events unless if it's a big PPV.
Change "everyone" to just "Dana" for who wants him canned then you'ed be right.

ESPN is going to need something to talk about when Lebron becomes shitty

With the announcement of Ariel joining ESPN

I am either Nostradamus or someone at ESPN reads sherdog

RIP to the mma hour

It goes for like 3+ hours, its not made for TV.

Yes. I used to listen to it (in podcast format), and there is just so much wasted time - dead air, dropped calls, Ariel and his buddy (Rick?) snacking their lips and saying “umm”, not to mention Ariel’s pathetic pandering / self-aggrandizing (talking about Acai to Brazilians and lamely trying to pronounce Krakow in Polish). It’s a waste, and I’m happy I stopped.

Brett Okamoto, Co-Main Event, and Heavy Hands all do a much better job, with more meaningful content and less drama.

I guess you haven't read Ariel's tweets. MMA hour is going to ESPN +. Seperate from the podcast. Same show. New home.

Yes. I used to listen to it (in podcast format), and there is just so much wasted time - dead air, dropped calls, Ariel and his buddy (Rick?) snacking their lips and saying “umm”, not to mention Ariel’s pathetic pandering / self-aggrandizing (talking about Acai to Brazilians and lamely trying to pronounce Krakow in Polish). It’s a waste, and I’m happy I stopped.

Brett Okamoto, Co-Main Event, and Heavy Hands all do a much better job, with more meaningful content and less drama.

Rick's part is a whole other "show", i kind of enjoy that one, they go over twitter stuff and fans questions, MMA Hour, i usually only watch the parts where im interested in the person he is talking to, it goes too long most of the times, same with Rogan.

Ariel joining ESPN sucks for the mma hour, it was by far the best mma podcast/show. I thought Ariel was making enough $ to where ESPN/Fox couldn't afford him, always thought he owned mma fighting etc, apparently not.

Give it sometime- now with espn deal in place, I see MMA shows on the horizon.
The great thing about this sport is that espn or anybody else for that matter, can't " Disney " down the brutality and nature of the cage fighting culture

Back