Why Isn't Kraftwerk A Household Name?! They're the Godfathers of Electronic Music

Discussion in 'Music Discussion (BAM'S Bieberverse)' started by Savant21, Nov 5, 2017.

1. KYS

KYS Silver Belt Banned

They should be.

Tour de France will be fresh fifty years from now. Judge me.

Savant21 and SUPERGRAPPLER like this.
  2. IndyCovaHart

IndyCovaHart Gold Belt

Giorgio Moroder is more of a pioneer in the genre IMO.

Jesus X likes this.
  3. Strychnine

Strychnine Gold Belt

[​IMG]

Savant21, Rimbaud82 and Jimmy Jazz like this.
  4. SUPERGRAPPLER

SUPERGRAPPLER Purple Belt

The way I got into them was by way of New Order, Yaz and Depeche Mode in the 80s. When I started digging into electronic music I found Kraftwerk and Yello. Although I really did enjoy certain tracks I never really fell in love with Kraftwerk.

usmctanker242 likes this.
  5. P0NYBOY

P0NYBOY Blue Belt

I think I saw one of them tapping his toe.

FinalFight likes this.
  6. Savant21

Savant21 Blue Belt

Ya know, I listened to some of his catalog & I wasn't too crazy about it. That said, I really did like his album "From Here to Eternity". That has definitely gotta be his magnum opus. I listened to the album before that one & his "E=MC2" album & wasn't very impressed. I can totally see how he's a pioneer just from that "FHTE" album tho, it's a great album.

7. Strychnine

Strychnine Gold Belt

I had a co-worker who went to Coachella back in the day. Since we were Active Duty (I was his direct supervisor), I told him to have fun and not to keep his @$$ out of trouble (the inhaled kind).

He said "Yeah, some group named Kraftwerk is going to be there."

I said... "If you like any electronic music at ALL (and he loved electronic music), you MUST see Kraftwerk.

He came back and said that was the best advice anyone ever gave him.

Jimmy Jazz and Savant21 like this.
  8. Savant21

Savant21 Blue Belt

I hope I get the opportunity to see them one of these days. Even tho it’s just Ralf Hutter (spelling?) & the other founders left, they’re still a must see band. It looks like most of their tours are in Europe & overseas these days tho. Hopefully they do a States tour before it’s too late, Ralf’s getting up there in age.

Strychnine likes this.
  9. IndyCovaHart

IndyCovaHart Gold Belt

His work on the Scarface soundtrack and score is too notch, too.

10. Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz Black Belt

you ever check out YMO?

11. Strychnine

Strychnine Gold Belt

Never heard of them. I'll check them out!

12. Eazy123

Eazy123 Black Belt

People don’t remember the caveman musicians from back in the day? Probably more influential than Floyd or the Stones Psh don’t talk to me

You people and your bands from the past century...1800 music was where it was at

13. The Gooch

The Gooch White Belt

I'm a little late to the conversation but I have a few ideas on why they aren't too well known. Take them how you wish.

Anything considered avant-garde at the time of its inception doesn't seem to go over too well with the mainstream. I guess that's why it would be considered avant-garde. Kraftwerk, to me at least, was much more cutting edge than Black Sabbath, The Beatles, and Floyd. Add that with the "this electronic shit has no soul sentiment", which still persists even today, and it gets pushed out to the fringes even further.

There's a HUGE electronic music history to look at and, as such, it's tough to nail down the fathers of the genre. Who were Kraftwerk influenced by? Most likely Stockhausen, Reich, Glass, and Babbitt to name a few. Each one of those brought something unique to the table. After Kraftwerk there are people like Aphex Twin, BT, Bjork, OMD and many others that followed up Kraftwerk's contributions with their own.

I agree that, nowadays, it's difficult to find something new and fresh in the electronic music genre, especially with all its genre splits. Everyone wants to be super special, which, in the end, makes them all just another band that few want to listen to. Of course, if one looks to the mainstream electronic music of today, one would never find the "Kraftwerk" of this generation simply because they were not doing what would get airplay.

Oh, and Kraftwerk did not write the Popcorn Song...