Why is Wrestling not popular in Australia or other places

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by The Half Blood Prince, Jun 16, 2017.

1. The Half Blood Prince Yellow Belt

The Half Blood Prince
    With the rise of the ufc and the sheer amount of ncaa division wrestler and ufc champions who have a strong wrestling background or skill set such as gsp, Jones, Cormier, Cain, Hughes, DC, Dan Henderson etc ,and how extremley effective wrestling techniques are for MMA with the most common takedowns in the ufc being wrestling takedowns why isnt it popular in places like Australia. In victoria, i think there are only two places that offer it

Its harder than bjj, it makes you so mentally strong and resilient and you become very quick, agile, strong and your edurance levels will become exceptionally good. Its great fun taking some one down at full speed flying through the air, or really cool when you madterfully trip the guy down etc

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MadSquabbles500 Gold Belt

MadSquabbles500
    If someone wants to do MMA, just train MMA. You dont need to do BJJ, Boxing, and wrestling.

In fact with MMA around, why even bother with other MAs?

3. The Half Blood Prince Yellow Belt

The Half Blood Prince
    When i do mma you do train martial arts, except its geared towards mma. For eg if u bjj for mma Maia doesnt train gi when his preparing for his fights etc

4. SummerStriker Black Belt

SummerStriker
    It's hard to get good at an aspect of fighting without isolating that aspect and practicing it.

It's hard to practice one aspect of fighting without engaging in a more complete version of that sport than what exists in MMA.

So to be good at MMA you need some skill in the other actual arts.

loyalyolayal likes this.
  5. The Half Blood Prince Yellow Belt

The Half Blood Prince
    I asked why isnt wrestling a popular martial art in places like Australia
    Not about what martial to train if u want to do mma

6. nhbfan8080 Black Belt

nhbfan8080
    Maybe because there were less German and East European immigrants compared to the US. Wrestling roots in the US came alot from those immigrants.

7. The Half Blood Prince Yellow Belt

The Half Blood Prince
    Yes! A comment actually responding to my question
    I know wrestling is really big in America schools and Unis but are there a lot of Wrestling schools there, i searched up google and it showed me the locations and it wasnt much

Rebelfett likes this.
  8. nhbfan8080 Black Belt

nhbfan8080
    Its more of a scholastic sport and like almost all other countries, its an amateur sport. There are probably more wrestling clubs in midwestern states where wrestling is more popular because of their higher proportions of German/European ancestry.

9. The Half Blood Prince Yellow Belt

The Half Blood Prince
    In Aus bjj would be considered an Amatuer sport, sothat doesnt mean it cant be popular. Like with wrestling bjj has strong origins from America and both arts are popular in America

10. Fluffernutter Purple Belt

Fluffernutter
    I coached wrestling in the US & in Australia.

American folkstyle wrestling had its genesis with the Irish immigrants in northern New England. What has evolved into "American" wrestling started as collar-and-elbow wrestling in the fields of Vermont and New Hampshire. As it moved south (NYC) and west (Oklahoma), it evolved to what we know today.

Although it was over a decade ago, I coached at the Australian national championships. There were indeed quite a few wrestlers that were either first or second generation Aussie. Many were of Persian or Indian decent. Both those countries (and cultures) have a pretty rich wrestling culture. In fact, a few of the kids I coached had parents that left Iran after the '79 revolution. They signed their kids up to wrestle not unlike an American family hoping to find a little league baseball team once they moved to Perth.

Why is wrestling not as popular as other sports???

A couple of guesses:

1. Wrestling is still pretty much taught at PCYCs or within MMA clubs, rather than in schools (unlike in the US). That may have something to do with it.

2. Once Australia starts getting medals at the world level, the sport will get more press. More press will create more interest.

Rebelfett likes this.
  11. The Half Blood Prince Yellow Belt

The Half Blood Prince
    Dang! Dropping some mad knowledge here
    What are PCYs btw? Its just you would think Wrestling would be much more popular considering how big it is in America, and how many ufc fighters use it and have wrestling backgrounds

Btw just out of curiosity, did u teach a Australian wrestling champ in 2000 who was around 18, and do u know Sasha or jj

12. Fluffernutter Purple Belt

Fluffernutter
    1. PCYC - Police Citizens Youth Club (sort of like a recreation center that is run by the local police). At the one I volunteered at, they offered basketball, boxing, judo, and wrestling. Plus, there was a small weightroom as well. Other PCYCs in the area also offered sports like gymnastics and air-rifle.

2. Nope.

Rebelfett likes this.
  13. The Half Blood Prince Yellow Belt

The Half Blood Prince
    Im assuming thoose PCYC are for youth who havve run into the law rightt

14. Fluffernutter Purple Belt

Fluffernutter
    No. I believe they started as police outreach programs. Not unlike Police Athletic Leagues in the US. The kids (and young adults) that I coached and grappled with had no run-ins with the law.

I saw them as sort of like the Boys & Girls Clubs that you see in the US. However, they are organized by the local neighborhood police.

I also volunteered at a Boys & Girls Club in the US that was attached to a small police station.

Community outreach. I assume they get their funding from the Public Affairs section of the state police, but I could be wrong.

One still had to join and pay for a membership, but PCYCs are cheaper than most gyms. In the same way that YMCAs are cheaper than most gyms.

Rebelfett likes this.
  15. loyalyolayal Silver Belt

loyalyolayal
    But those criminals would've known lancashire style or something.

Typrune Goatley likes this.
  16. Was at Pride GP 2000 Brown Belt

Was at Pride GP 2000
    Its.too hot to be in a wrestling room sweating your Australian ass off

17. jack36767 Brown Belt

jack36767
    It's not just about the ancestry, there was a mix of blue collar factory workers, immigrant culture mixing with that of the US combined with the structure of the scholastic amateur athletics among many other factors that have made it so popular in the US despite not being a 'revenue sport'. It has also functioned as a safety valve in giving young men with certain personalities or backgrounds in the US a relatively safe "violent" outlet.

None of these factors existed in Australia and the way athletics are done is different, Add in the fact that the biggest states for wrestling in the US: Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Jersey, Michigan, Minnesota, California all have populations no less than half if not equal to Australia's total population depending on the state.

18. maximus__ Orange Belt

maximus__
    It is literally because we don't teach it in schools or have a strong competitive background in getting medals at the olympics.
    Australia is all about other sports at school and until MMA and BJJ kicked off their was no reason to really do much wrestling.

Back in the day full contact karate and kickboxing had a huge following here in Australia as we had some great fighters having success internationally.
    We have a pretty high level of kickboxing type arts here, but aren't quite there with the wrestling side of things yet.

The level off BJJ is getting quite high now also, but we don't have that wrestling background within Australia.

Just as a heads up there are heaps of places to wrestle in Melbourne if you are willing to travel a bit. We have plenty of high level competitors who have migrated over and a couple home grown talents.
    They just do their wrestling in MMA gyms and don't teach too much wrestling just on it's own.

You will find their wrestling classess attached to MMA gyms in the city, out west or in melbournes south east. Quite a few will work out a deal if you only want to do wrestling if you come across alright.