Why is WMMA striking so terrible?

Because men are better than women at everything.

Don't most of these women train in the same camps as the men?
Why are very few WMMA fighters proficient in boxing/MMA striking?

Do the training camps overemphasize the ground game for women?

Honestly, I think JJ and Holly Holm have excellent striking because of their training and experience before they got into MMA.

So is MMA striking training for WMMA mostly ineffective? Is the only hope to take boxers and kickboxers and convert them into WMMA fighters?
If you actually break it down, most male MMA fighters (even at the ufc level) have AWFUL striking fundamentals.

It's harder to notice because they compensate with speed and power. Females do NOT have that option which is part of the reason why they look noticeably worst

Just don't have the right fighters in WMMA right now . . .

tumblr_mj8ujgBN0G1r4c1k8o4_400.gif

34fxxc5.jpg

- Smaller talent pool
- The talent pool that does exist consists mainly of grapplers
- Biologically less fast-twitch muscles

It seems like there are two classes of women in MMA. Those who look like they could be warriors, like Cyborg and Rose. The other class looks like have no business doing anything of the sort, like Bethe Correia and the other moms.
I was just about to say this. With the men even the less skilled fighters still come off as fighters. With the women, many don't come off as fighters at all. There is a huge divide between women like Rose, JJ, Andrade, Cyborg, Holly, Shevchenko, etc. and the others.

Women's boxing has been around for decades and is an Olympic sport but guess what? It still sucks. Women are just not built for fighting like men are.

- Biologically less fast-twitch muscles

The biologist had seen enough. He closed his laptop for the last time.

"I have failed the children" he murmered to himself

Slowly he got up from his chair and crossed to the dusty bookshelf by the window, drawing a large tome from the shelf

from the hollowed out pages of his favorite physiology textbook he produced an old revolver. His cat Mittens stared at him blandly.

"They will never believe in WMMA so long as they do not believe in transferable or subject-specific physiology. The days of adaptability in science are gone, Mittens. So long as they believe this, so it shall be forever. Baseball season is over."

and with that he blew his brains out

Last edited:
Because of less athleticism they need more experience, so yeah, I think you're right. Men can have mediocre technique but still get it done on the feet, if they have the gift of speed and power. Women have that less often, so you tend to only see good stand-up from career strikers.

The biologist had seen enough. He closed his laptop for the last time.

"I have failed the children" he murmered to himself

Slowly he got up from his chair and cross to the dusty bookshelf by the window, drawing a large tome from the shelf

from the hollowed out pages of his favorite physiology textbook he produced an old revolver. His cat Mittens stared at him blandly.

"They will never believe in WMMA so long as they do not believe in transferable or subject-specific physiology. The days of adaptability in science are gone, Mittens. So long as they believe this, so it shall be forever. Baseball season is over."

and with that he blew his brains out

This is so getting quoted elsewhere. I thank you on my behalf, and that of my wife, who is a biologist and biochemist (and former researcher for the WHO). I have never seen a better post on this site.

Don't most of these women train in the same camps as the men?
Why are very few WMMA fighters proficient in boxing/MMA striking?

Do the training camps overemphasize the ground game for women?

Honestly, I think JJ and Holly Holm have excellent striking because of their training and experience before they got into MMA.

So is MMA striking training for WMMA mostly ineffective? Is the only hope to take boxers and kickboxers and convert them into WMMA fighters?
Men's MMA had guys like Tank Abbot.
WMMA is at its infancy. It will take time to bring in talented girls, and only by allowing this time, it will improve.

WMMA will improve much slower than men's MMA. Mostly because it is harder to find girls who want to get punched in the face.

WMMA has some good striker, like Valentina or the ones you mentioned. But only patience will help at this point.

because the only training they do is reading their fight night script

The biological answer:
Because the human fist has in part evolved as a weapon, and for most of human history men have been doing the fighting to protect the women and children.

Men's musculature is simply evolved to lift, carry, pull, shove, crush, smash, and pummel.

There tends to be a greater disparity in upper body strength between men and women than other kinds of athletic qualities. This leads to the whole "throw like a girl" syndrome. More basically, for WMMA the number of women channeling into MMA and sports which lead to MMA is very very low meaning that there is a lower likelihood that the small pool will include highly talented players. And women probably don't get the attention of the best trainers (Holly Holm is a big exception here).

Back