why is western culture becoming so shameless?

tramendous

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Ive felt this for a lot longer than ive known it. There is something that i think we we can all feel amiss in society today but i think most are afraid to admit it. Its that we are becoming hedonists to the point of self sabotage.

Where as in the past i think there was an inherent desire of the western man and woman to improve society and his/her surroundings, today's individual seems to be all about self satisfaction. Its spread to many things to the point of turning them into parodies of themselves such as feminism and social justice.

I think today's culture even celebrates its shamelessness. Take for example a woman being slutty. In basically any society that has its head on straight, this would be a vice and reprehensible. Yet in an almost orwellian way, the notion of shaming someone for this behavior is considered reprehensible. I.e. 'slut shaming'. Moreover a woman devoting herself to motherhood is considered weak, submissive and out of date.

This isn't just women either. Men have also become shameless hedonists. In response to the new womyn, They are no longer interested in getting married and raising a family but 'going their own way' (mgtow) and devoting themselves to self indulgent behavior and labelling it 'alpha' to make themselves feel better about their self indulgence. The extremists even indoctrinate themselves to believe that women are inherently like this.

This hit me really hard the other day. Weirdest day ever. I was out with friends and taking a break from the party, we went to a nearby convenience store. A lot of people seemed to have had the same idea from the party so when we got inside, it was filled with drunks and half naked drunk bitches. The clerk starts mouthing off in mandarin and my chinese friend starts laughing at everything the guys saying. He translates for us: "stupid fucking lunatics with no class. their dumb slut whores who will raise other pieces of shit and more whores."

Later on when we sat down to eat, we had a convo about trans genders and i mentioned them about a guy who abandoned his wife and kids because he identified as a 6 year old girl and got adopted by another family. My closest friends were just shocked at the story but these other dudes and girls from the party listening basically all concluded it was OK because it was his body and it had no effect on them. The guy's hedonism was all that mattered.

The entire ethos for right and wrong seems to have become 'do what thou wilt, so long as it doesnt stop me from doing what i want to do'. Basically if a dude has consensual incest sex, these people will shrug and say: as long as they wore a condom, good for them.

i dont know. Maybe someone can explain this elephant in the room better.

TLDR: we are becoming decadent

I blame the hippies.

e56f526ceb4c1734c2de3279959abf0c.jpg

Ive felt this for a lot longer than ive known it. There is something that i think we we can all feel amiss in society today but i think most are afraid to admit it. Its that we are becoming hedonists to the point of self sabotage.

Where as in the past i think there was an inherent desire of the western man and woman to improve society and his/her surroundings, today's individual seems to be all about self satisfaction. Its spread to many things to the point of turning them into parodies of themselves such as feminism and social justice.

I think today's culture even celebrates its shamelessness. Take for example a woman being slutty. In basically any society that has its head on straight, this would be a vice and reprehensible. Yet in an almost orwellian way, the notion of shaming someone for this behavior is considered reprehensible. I.e. 'slut shaming'. Moreover a woman devoting herself to motherhood is considered weak, submissive and out of date.

This isn't just women either. Men have also become shameless hedonists. In response to the new womyn, They are no longer interested in getting married and raising a family but 'going their own way' (mgtow) and devoting themselves to self indulgent behavior and labelling it 'alpha' to make themselves feel better about their self indulgence. The extremists even indoctrinate themselves to believe that women are inherently like this.

This hit me really hard the other day. Weirdest day ever. I was out with friends and taking a break from the party, we went to a nearby convenience store. A lot of people seemed to have had the same idea from the party so when we got inside, it was filled with drunks and half naked drunk bitches. The clerk starts mouthing off in mandarin and my chinese friend starts laughing at everything the guys saying. He translates for us: "stupid fucking lunatics with no class. their dumb slut whores who will raise other pieces of shit and more whores."

Later on when we sat down to eat, we had a convo about trans genders and i mentioned them about a guy who abandoned his wife and kids because he identified as a 6 year old girl and got adopted by another family. My closest friends were just shocked at the story but these other dudes and girls from the party listening basically all concluded it was OK because it was his body and it had no effect on them. The guy's hedonism was all that mattered.

The entire ethos for right and wrong seems to have become 'do what thou wilt, so long as it doesnt stop me from doing what i want to do'. Basically if a dude has consensual incest sex, these people will shrug and say: as long as they wore a condom, good for them.

I say in the past western society had the urge to conquer, and pillage, not improve civilization. When the started to try and improve asians, and blacks, and brown, and whatever is when the shamelessness started.

Is your solution to convert us all to Islam, alhamdulillah?

You almost could have just summed this up into one sentence, "Why are westerners hedonists?"

When have human beings not been hedonists? It's been around a very long time.

You almost could have just summed this up into one sentence, "Why are westerners hedonists?"

When have human beings not been hedonists? It's been around a very long time.

This is one of those things where someone say 'i get bored a lot' and another person responds 'everyone gets bored'. Of course we humans are hedonists to some extent but this is basically all culture is diverging on.

If there was an internet, this thread would have been started regularly by people over 35 years old for the last 100 years (or more). There is nothing more decadent about this generations' culture. It's just different and offensive to the previous generation, as it always is.

The phrase used to be "make yourself useful". Now it's "whatever makes you happy". Trying to preach individualism while trying to move towards fiscal collectivism is a pretty shit combo imo.

If there was an internet, this thread would have been started regularly by people over 35 years old for the last 100 years (or more). There is nothing more decadent about this generations' culture. It's just different and offensive to the previous generation, as it always is.
Not true. There wasn't ever a time when people felt naked without their smart phones and needed 500 gadgets to occupy themselves. The complaint was always "kids these days are too wild", and now it's "kids these days are too soft".

Im not over 35. Im not even 30. I think maybe its because i was raised in a more traditional family. Where its not okay for a girl to flash her tits at strangers.

Maybe those people have a point. I dont think 1940s girls were getting half naked and drunk with guys ditching marriage considered alpha. But of course those societies had their own issues. Im honestly really worried about raising a girl in a society like this.

Not true. There wasn't ever a time when people felt naked without their smart phones and needed 500 gadgets to occupy themselves. The complaint was always "kids these days are too wild", and now it's "kids these days are too soft".
Radio, then TV, then computers, then the Internet were different vehicles corrupting youth like never before as well. Nothing new--and ,yes, you are playing the role of the grumpy old guy wagging his finger at the kids.

The western world has neglected God. Society doesn't seem to value virtue, but to live for instant gratification.
2 Chronicles 7:14
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

For this, common sense and critical thinking would suffice.

I'm curious, though, and I think War Room posters would share my curiosity. Is your disdain for modern "Western culture" informed by your belief that Islam provides the proper guidelines for how to live a righteous life, and thus you're interpreting depraved Western society through an Islamic lens? Or are you a proud Western man who holds traditional Western values to be sacred and wants society to renew their commitment to said values?

Which answer to this question would turn you into a social pariah?

That is the correct answer.

Back