Why is Turkey willing to jeopardize its relations with Saudi Arabia?

vespasian

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
The most extraordinary aspect of this affair is not that Saudis kill journalists, but that Turkey's government decided to publicly accuse them of murder. By the way, Turkey is no friend of the free press:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-45840971
Turkey, which has led the outcry against Mr Khashoggi's disappearance from the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, is itself the biggest jailer of journalists in the world.

WTF is going on? The Saudis must have done something to piss off Erdogan, but what?

That was probably the most surprising thing for me too. The Turks have definitely stayed out in front of this thing.

I'm willing to bet that for the past couple weeks(it happened Oct 2) there had been negotiations between SA, Turkey, and USA that fell through so Turkey called their bluff.

That was probably the most surprising thing for me too. The Turks have definitely stayed out in front of this thing.

I'm willing to bet that for the past couple weeks(it happened Oct 2) there had been negotiations between SA, Turkey, and USA that fell through so Turkey called their bluff.

Looks like we are seeing an US-Israel-Saudi Arabia team vs. a Turkey-Iran one. And none of them really gives a shit about the guy, obviously.

I havnt followed this story at all. Can somebody explain why we are supposed to care about a dead Saudi journalist who was killed in turkey??? Why is that something America needs to be heavily involved in???

I havnt followed this story at all. Can somebody explain why we are supposed to care about a dead Saudi journalist who was killed in turkey??? Why is that something America needs to be heavily involved in???

because he used to live in the US, was a darling of the American media, and wrote a little bit for the Washington Post.

He was a permanent legal American resident with constitutional rights who was presumably tortured to death and dismembered.

because he used to live in the US, was a darling of the American media, and wrote a little bit for the Washington Post.

I’ve never heard of him. Oh well, hopefully they did him quick and not too painfully.

He was a permanent legal American resident with constitutional rights who was presumably tortured to death and dismembered.

So where’s the body??? Still in the embassy?

Looks like we are seeing an US-Israel-Saudi Arabia team vs. a Turkey-Iran one. And none of them really gives a shit about the guy, obviously.

I think this is a little pessimistic.

I think there's a genuine consideration that Turkey really does value its national sovereignty and its ability to provide safe haven to asylum seekers, particularly ones of such international clout. And with Erdogan's world-renowned ego, I'm sure he doesn't take lightly the Saudis marching into his country and making Turkey look bad.

For Turkey to have not reported this and been complicit with the cover up would have really bad for them. Let's not forget that, although not in the same fashion as Saudi Arabia, Turkey has its own international charm offensive to consider.

So where’s the body??? Still in the embassy?
Turkey alleges they packed it onto the private jet they left on the same day of the killing.

15 Saudis carried out the attack several had diplomatic passports and are ranking members of the royal family.

Turkey alleges they packed it onto the private jet they left on the same day of the killing.

15 Saudis carried out the attack several had diplomatic passports and are ranking members of the royal family.

Damn that’s pretty grizzly.

Erdogan has said that Turkey is the nation to lead the Muslim world, perhaps this is one move to shift the focus from Saudi Arabia as the core of the Muslim world.

btw Khashoggi worked for Saudi Arabia as editor in chief to a state-owned paper for years. He was fired and forced to resign the second time for publishing articles that criticized Wahhabism and Salafist education. He had his privileges to work in media revoked in December 2016 after he criticized Trump's soft stance on Syria for being beneficial to Iran.

I think this is a little pessimistic.

I think there's a genuine consideration that Turkey really does value its national sovereignty and its ability to provide safe haven to asylum seekers, particularly ones of such international clout. And with Erdogan's world-renowned ego, I'm sure he doesn't take lightly the Saudis marching into his country and making Turkey look bad.

For Turkey to have not reported this and been complicit with the cover up would have really bad for them. Let's not forget that, although not in the same fashion as Saudi Arabia, Turkey has its own international charm offensive to consider.

I dont think he asked for political asylum in Turkey, but he was friends with people from Erdogan's ruling party, which is in aligned with the Muslim bros. IMO this affair is a symptom of Turkey-Saudi Arabia crisis, not a cause.

Erdogan has said that Turkey is the nation to lead the Muslim world, perhaps this is one move to shift the focus from Saudi Arabia as the core of the Muslim world.

The turks will lose this one. mark these words.

I dont think he asked for political asylum in Turkey, but he was friends with people from Erdogan's ruling party, which is in aligned with the Muslim bros. IMO this affair is a symptom of Turkey-Saudi Arabia crisis, not a cause.

Yeah, I was playing fast and loose with the term "asylum seeker." I doubt he donned that official status, given that he's an LPR here in the US.

Regardless, Erdogan's policies being a far cry from that of the Ottomans aside, Turkish national identity still very much that of a former empire and Erdogan knows and has used that to his advantage. And some faux-hegemon Arab douche bags coming into your country and carrying out a high profile political hit is no doubt something the country takes seriously.

When the Saudis are involved, on their own turf, the idea of a quick and painless death becomes an absurdity. Man got tortured, killed and hacked to pieces for using his power of free expression. It is something to fight against the same way Salman Rushdie's struggle was. Hopefully our leaders don't become supine weaklings like in the Rushdie affair.

Back