Why is the reason 12-6 elbows are not allowed? | Page 4

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by cyrusthevyrus, Feb 9, 2018.

1. MPD-Psycho Silver Belt

MPD-Psycho
    Nothing is stopping them from sneaking in a couple of free ones like eye pokes and low blows amirite?

2. RaZer Cruz Dojo belt

RaZer Cruz
    Didn't like 20 UFC fighters tweet about how the stoppage by Yamasaki was bad?

3. Tao of Bas Orange Belt

Tao of Bas
    There is actually a legitimate argument to be made against elbows on the ground and it has nothing to do with damage or cuts.

If I fighter can't just lay on top of another fighter and drop short elbows he has to posture up and create space for punches, which gives the guy on the bottom more room to work his submission game or work for a reversal/scramble. It might actually make fights more interesting.

4. SeattleFightFan Steel Belt

SeattleFightFan
    agreed. after reading countless variations over the years, what you describe holds the most water.
    • This was one of the Unified Rules written up (1999) and then implemented (2000) in the dark ages
    • Although some argue that Blatnick wrote the rules by himself (and favored wrestlers), all actual evidence suggests it was done by committee
    • I have little doubt that lots of stupid shit was said during these committee meetings as they were brainstorming rules. If you've never been in a brainstorm session at an office job, you may not appreciate what I'm saying here.
    • Therefore, it wouldn't surprise me that some committee member said something idiotic about elbows, and BJM remembered it and told Rogan and others.
    • but then it took a life of it's own - instead of being "something stupid said during a brainstorm" it became "the reason why".
    • However, there was also several fights where someone delivered a brutal elbow to the back of the neck during a takedown. some have argued this was the origin of this rule. i'll try to find a video. EDIT: i cannot find it.
    • And ultimately there was compromise.
    the fact it is illegal to throw them at the thigh (it happened a year or two ago and Rogan went on a tirade about this rule - i forget which fight) is as stupid as upkicks being illegal on a downed opponent. but once rules are codified it's hard to change them.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Tuf_guy likes this.
  5. Irishwhiskey119 Double Yellow Card

Irishwhiskey119
    More fighters tweeted that it was a good stoppage.

The more people watched it the more they realized it was just fine. Not seeing the taps right away was the only legitimate criticism.

6. lifelessheap Silver Belt

lifelessheap

poor Machida, the elbow gods hate him

7. Sakuraba7 Black Belt

Sakuraba7

Rogan also says Russia doesn't have pro sports, and Jon Jones had his coke spiked with steroids, and Ronda could beat Mayweather.

8. Sakuraba7 Black Belt

Sakuraba7

Introduce grounded kicks and stomps, but take away the elbows to the head. Japanese rules, basically. Elbows like headbutts cause cuts. Cuts lead to premature stoppages, or even the breaks so a doctor can check him up.

Instead we have ground kicks and stomps banned, which makes the fights completely unrealistic. Fighters end up kicking the side body or legs, or getting down themselves just to throw a punch when the opponent is on the ground because there's nothing they can do standing up.

UhHuhSure and ssBaldy like this.
  9. RaZer Cruz Dojo belt

RaZer Cruz
    From what I saw most of them tweeted the stoppage was terrible.

10. Irishwhiskey119 Double Yellow Card

Irishwhiskey119
    Nah, more said it was good and more of the women fighters said it was good which matters more.

11. po_thead Black Belt

po_thead
    Bullshit to appease the commission/governing bodies.

12. Like a fiddle White Belt

Like a fiddle
    Elbows are deadly weapons. Rock hard and sharp enough to do serious damage much easier than fists can. Keep in mind that fists are also gloved/padded while elbows aren't.

Unless you're a lot taller than your opponent and 12-6'ing the top of his head from the clinch (another dangerous situation), you have to be in dominant position to throw 12-6. Allowing these, you're asking for easily cracked skulls and fighters going blind from dagger elbows to the eye.

13. Fstepp Brown Belt

Fstepp
    Wouldn't mind 5 to 6-elbows, 21.30 to 21.45-elbows, or 2 to 11-elbows.

14. kingghidrah Yellow Belt

kingghidrah
    I call bullshit on your bullshit calling. It's full of bullshit.

You can put your WEIGHT into a 12-6 elbow using GRAVITY. Learn physics, numbnuts.

15. PeleProtege Blue belt Edson Carvalho

PeleProtege
    Dude you ever taken a drop elbow to the face??

16. Tylerl90 Green Belt

Tylerl90
    I'm indifferent towards the 12-6 elbows. Not sure how a "12-6" elbow to the face is anymore dangerous than that homicide by elbows I watched in person for Romero vs. Machida