Why is the Canelo-GGG undercard so shitty??

moosaev

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
There are a lot of promotions that would get roasted for this shit show undercard. Seems like GoldenBoy and K2 are getting a big pass.

Joe Diaz v. Rafael Rivera
Randy Caballero v. DIego De La Hoya
Nicola Adams v. Alexandra Vlajk
Marlen Esparza v. Tania Cosme
Ryan Martin v. Francisco Rojo
Vergil Ortiz v. Cesar Valenzuela
Serhii Bohachuk v. TBA

The tried landing a crop of those up and coming Arizona boxers.... but no luck.

This is a slight problem with boxing no gives a shit about the undercard unless you're a hardcore fan. They could've at least got a decent co-main on there.

Well, we can switch to UFC Fight Night until the Big Fight begins...

This is a slight problem with boxing no gives a shit about the undercard unless you're a hardcore fan. They could've at least got a decent co-main on there.

There are good contenders who they could've gotten for decent matchups. They mailed it in.

I agree that overall it's a weak undercard, but TBA is always a notoriously tough opponent. Credit to GB and K2 for that, at least.

I thought Diaz was fighting Jorge Lara. What happened to that?

The tried landing a crop of those up and coming Arizona boxers.... but no luck.
But almost the whole card is undefeated rising prospects.

But I agree that it needed a at least a 1 or 2 veteran established names.

Well, I guess they didn't want to pay more then 1% of the income to the entire undercard.

It's garbage for ppv standards, but I'll still fucking buy it. Can't not.

They got 2 women's fights on the prelims. And if you check their records, 3 of them are TRASH.

The shit undercard is enough justification not to pay for a PPV if you're in that market. Either watch it on free TV if its on where you live, or just stream it.

Fuck paying for garbage cards with ONE good headliner. And its annoying how they almost ONLY push Mexicans, they could easily have foreign world champs from the lower weights on these cards, and it wouldn't cost much.

But almost the whole card is undefeated rising prospects.

But I agree that it needed a at least a 1 or 2 veteran established names.

Prospects shouldn't cost $80. There's enough of those on Mexican TV and Fox Deportes. Why stack them on the PPV? And some of them are straight bum fights.

They got 2 women's fights on the prelims. And if you check their records, 3 of them are TRASH.

The shit undercard is enough justification not to pay for a PPV if you're in that market. Either watch it on free TV if its on where you live, or just stream it.

Fuck paying for garbage cards with ONE good headliner. And its annoying how they almost ONLY push Mexicans, they could easily have foreign world champs from the lower weights on these cards, and it wouldn't cost much.

Esparza and Adams are actually a couple, so they can push that plus both being 2012 Olympians and who will be the first to bring a world title home.

But yeah, not the best undercard. The headliner is big enough and appealing to the casuals that promoters would rather save their fighters for another card.

Diego vs Caballero is a good match up but dont really care for the rest

Either watch it on free TV if its on where you live, or just stream it.

The price tag is stupid but some fights are just worth buying and this is one of them. I see it as casting my vote for putting on real fucking fights where there is actually something at stake and the outcome is really unknown. Streaming a fight like this would feel so wrong.

I didn't pay for Canelo to crush cans like Khan, Smith, Chavez because I didn't want to support charging fans to see hopeless mismatches with foregone conclusions. Same with every Floyd fight after Maidana. I paid for Ward/Kov twice. I paid for GGG/Jacobs as well. My money is my vote for putting on real fights and this fight is as real as it gets.

Esparza and Adams are actually a couple, so they can push that plus both being 2012 Olympians and who will be the first to bring a world title home.

But yeah, not the best undercard. The headliner is big enough and appealing to the casuals that promoters would rather save their fighters for another card.

The thing is, as i was saying good title fights from less lucrative/renown divisions actually don't cost much. Wouldn't be significantly higher than what they're already paying these Mexicans.

Srisaket and Inoue got payed under 190k for Superfly, and the non-title fights took 60K each. The prelims were probably much less.

Back