why is soccer so weird?

Repeated 9 seconds of explosive max effort against a beast is.

I have grown up in England and Europe, I don't idolise the soccer players who are represented in our media.

I don't sit like a zombie, I play the game. I've lost several kilos in weight during a single game, you don't get that from relaxing buddy.

You got any other good points?

I actually train and compete in martial arts, so I'm just not super impressed with someone going all out for 9 seconds at a time for a total of five minutes spread out over 3 hours. It's just not all that. Nor is sweating out a few pounds of fluid - I do that several times a week. I'm sorry that American football doesn't impress me all that much. I don't understand why it's so important to Americans that it should... but it just doesn't.

I actually train and compete in martial arts, so I'm just not super impressed with someone going all out for 9 seconds at a time for a total of five minutes spread out over 3 hours. It's just not all that. Nor is sweating out a few pounds of fluid - I do that several times a week. I'm sorry that American football doesn't impress me all that much. I don't understand why it's so important to Americans that it should... but it just doesn't.

I trained K1 with world champions for 7 years, fought 13 times. A fight is much easier, physically than a game of football. Admittedly I don't know what it's like to lose a fight, maybe that's harder.

I'm telling you that I actually have experience of both, information you haven't and that you are wrong.

But sure. My informed opinion is probably worth less than your speculation. No problem. <45>

I trained K1 with world champions for 7 years, fought 13 times. A fight is much easier, physically than a game of football. Admittedly I don't know what it's like to lose a fight, maybe that's harder.

I'm telling you that I actually have experience of both, information you haven't and that you are wrong.

But sure. My informed opinion is probably worth less than your speculation. No problem. <45>

And I don't believe a word you are saying. You are an American and thus desperate to defend meatheads bumping into each other for 5 minutes (aka football), for some odd reason I'll never understand. I know plenty of guys who have played football at a decent level in my country and they are just nothing like the champion fighters I know.

I play RT, every play is either me denying the biggest most athletic guy on the field or me trying to run him or smaller people over. Sometimes I'm protecting my Q, other times I'm smashing a hole for my RB. I stand shoulder to shoulder with my line and we coordinate ourselves to act as one unit.

What I do is about people, violence, competition. It's very rare that a ball is involved directly. It's not the ball that's important, but what it represents, what it means and what that makes us do.

That is quite manly imo.

"Manly" is completely subjective. In this case, you're equating it with violence and competition, which is something that a lot of animal do; even from that perspective is fine..

What I find funny is that some males are so insecure that they let a game define them. Football fans tend to boast about how manly they are because in their sport they're allowed to tackle and hurt someone, but even children do this... so I question their behavior.

Again, not dissing on A. Football (it's a fine sport with minor flaws, of course)... just the mentality of SOME people.

Soccer aka Football (not the gay ass padded American rugby) is the greatest ball and team sport in the world.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-30864-1385487674-9.gif

giphy.gif

soccer-dive-gifs.gif

1439228706_funny_soccer_dive.gif

If soccer ever seriously tries to rid itself of this embarrassing dishonor, I'll watch it. But for now it's the floppiest sport of all time. But tbh I haven't watched basketball since MJ was hoisting trophies.

Soccer is a sport you have to have either playe, or you have to watch a pro game live to really appreciate.
I enjoyed soccer and hockey quite a bit more after going to a live game

If soccer ever seriously tries to rid itself of this embarrassing dishonor, I'll watch it. But for now it's the floppiest sport of all time. But tbh I haven't watched basketball since MJ was hoisting trophies.

Video refereeing is starting to come into the game (They're testing it in certain games and competitions) so hopefully that will help clean up the diving

And I don't believe a word you are saying. You are an American and thus desperate to defend meatheads bumping into each other for 5 minutes (aka football), for some odd reason I'll never understand. I know plenty of guys who have played football at a decent level in my country and they are just nothing like the champion fighters I know.

Told you I'm in the UK. Only been to the states once. I've posted my fight footage up here before, I ain't ever lied to anyone on this shit. Now I've given you the courtesy of respecting your word and I'd appreciate the same. If not there is zero point in having this discussion, is there?

A champion fighter is akin to the best of premiership level football players. At the top flight of either it's 100% commitment. They, in my experience play for their country, play for money across Europe or in the states. I'd wager you don't know any of them and you're comparing apples to oranges. Besides it was not said players we were comparing them but the physical battle players endure in either sport.

"Manly" is completely subjective. In this case, you're equating it with violence and competition, which is something that a lot of animal do; even from that perspective is fine..

What I find funny is that some males are so insecure that they let a game define them. Football fans tend to boast about how manly they are because in their sport they're allowed to tackle and hurt someone, but even children do this... so I question their behavior.

Again, not dissing on A. Football (it's a fine sport with minor flaws, of course)... just the mentality of SOME people.

I didn't mean humanly, but manly in the sense of male, so yes, across most species.

Yeah, anyone defining themselves by a sport they don't play is pushing it a bit far. Probably lacking in something. I've always preferred to play sports rather than watch them.

I agree.

Told you I'm in the UK. Only been to the states once. I've posted my fight footage up here before, I ain't ever lied to anyone on this shit. Now I've given you the courtesy of respecting your word and I'd appreciate the same. If not there is zero point in having this discussion, is there?

A champion fighter is akin to the best of premiership level football players. At the top flight of either it's 100% commitment. They, in my experience play for their country, play for money across Europe or in the states. I'd wager you don't know any of them and you're comparing apples to oranges. Besides it was not said players we were comparing them but the physical battle players endure in either sport.

Ok, man, I'll take your word for your own case, though quite often on both Sherdog and the internet that cannot be taken for given.

If I'm serious, I don't actually think that pro fighters are neccessarily as commited full time as the best pro soccer or football players, simply because fighters only need to perform at their best 1-4 times a year and so can have periods where they don't work as intensely (and this is why we see some fighters get out of shape).

When I said I knew football players who played at a good level in my country, I meant American football players - I've known a couple of guys who played in the top youth division here, though that is probably nowhere near NFL as Amfoot is a niche thing here. Still, those guys did not have anything like the commitment or toughness of the top fighters I've known (and I've known some pretty good guys in Kyukushin and Shotokan). Nor did they face the obstacles in terms of nerves and physical preparation that the martial artists did.

I'll go ahead and believe that NFL players are tough and imposing physically and in prime condition for what they do (though I'm still not convinced that 5 minutes of activity is the pinnacle of human physical achievement) - but I just don't believe that they go through anything like what a martial artist goes through before and during a fight.

Video refereeing is starting to come into the game (They're testing it in certain games and competitions) so hopefully that will help clean up the diving

Hmm.

I have coached the youth game for a long time. If we're getting pushed in a game, I tell the girls to push back. You got knocked down? Oh. Well get up and keep playing. Embellishing contact is never going to be a consideration. Just toughen up, Missy.

It's just so embarrassing. I read a soccer coaching book series a few weeks ago, and the fucko is telling coaches to have their players embellish fouls. It's embedded in the culture, especially in the men's game. <---- even more embarrassing

Ok, man, I'll take your word for your own case, though quite often on both Sherdog and the internet that cannot be taken for given.

If I'm serious, I don't actually think that pro fighters are neccessarily as commited full time as the best pro soccer or football players, simply because fighters only need to perform at their best 1-4 times a year and so can have periods where they don't work as intensely (and this is why we see some fighters get out of shape).

When I said I knew football players who played at a good level in my country, I meant American football players - I've known a couple of guys who played in the top youth division here, though that is probably nowhere near NFL as Amfoot is a niche thing here. Still, those guys did not have anything like the commitment or toughness of the top fighters I've known (and I've known some pretty good guys in Kyukushin and Shotokan). Nor did they face the obstacles in terms of nerves and physical preparation that the martial artists did.

I'll go ahead and believe that NFL players are tough and imposing physically and in prime condition for what they do (though I'm still not convinced that 5 minutes of activity is the pinnacle of human physical achievement) - but I just don't believe that they go through anything like what a martial artist goes through before and during a fight.

What I will say is that the mental toughness of fighters is higher. The reason I don't fight now is just because it never got easier. Soon as I accepted a fight I thought about my opponent day and night for the months leading up to it. Literally 3 months of a year could be unenjoyable because everything was about readying for the opponent, in my mind they would be 7ft tall and shitting fireballs. Then a whole mental change would go over me fight night, the calm of the storm, after their first barrage when I knew they weren't what I'd imagined it was all downhill. When they hit the canvas the rush was like none other but fuck, I don't need that high, wasn't worth the months spent, life's for living.

Football I get to 'fight' every Sunday, reps reps reps and mentally speaking it's easy. If I meet my nemesis I can lean on my team for help, so while I get hit harder I can tap out without loss of face (not that I have yet).

Hmm.

I have coached the youth game for a long time. If we're getting pushed in a game, I tell the girls to push back. You got knocked down? Oh. Well get up and keep playing. Embellishing contact is never going to be a consideration. Just toughen up, Missy.

It's just so embarrassing. I read a soccer coaching book series a few weeks ago, and the fucko is telling coaches to have their players embellish fouls. It's embedded in the culture, especially in the men's game. <---- even more embarrassing

Good man/woman. Their parents are lucky to have you coach them honour and competitive spirit. The win at all costs, disrespect yourself and others mentality of world football is embarrassing. A real example of money totally twisting shit and infecting the amateur game as well. I think it's popularity as a sport means players emulate their hero's more maybe.

Good man/woman. Their parents are lucky to have you coach them honour and competitive spirit. The win at all costs, disrespect yourself and others mentality of world football is embarrassing. A real example of money totally twisting shit and infecting the amateur game as well. I think it's popularity as a sport means players emulate their hero's more maybe.

Thank you sir or madam, whichever the case may be. I've coached two players for literally half of their lives, and have 3 or 4 more hitting that point in another season. It's an honor that they keep coming back.

None of them watch pro soccer. None of their families watch pro soccer. I don't watch pro soccer. I can't speak for them, but I simply don't like the culture.

Both ''footballs'' are amazing as sports in my opinion. I prefer euro football by a long shot and always have, maybe because it's really hard to watch the NFL, it's actually infuriatingly frustrating. I want to watch them play because it's fun to watch but there's 15 pauses everytime a ball is touched. If the NFL was a free flowing game, like Rugby, europeans would love it, as things stand, most don't even see it as a sport, rather just a spectacle. I guess if it was free flowing it would even be the same sport but the actual play time and the time you spend watching breaks and commercials and replays and footage of the bench just turns people away. I mean couldn't they just let them play, action after action? Like, no break just play the game. Throw and reset, throw and reset. Steal and reset etc... for 40 minutes? I'd love american football if it was just non stop play time. Right now is unbearable.

10/10 in 50 years football will be the biggest sport in USA and nfl will be a bumpkin sport.

Back