Why is Muay Thai not as big as MMA (UFC, Bellator) or Boxing?

MT and Kickboxing just need that one promotion, to put them into the next big thing in the West.

MMA is realy fortunate that they have someone like Dana and Zuffa, who knows how to promote.

in the end of the day attention to detail is important, the production, the fighter attire, the cage, tale of the tape, the countdown, the promotion all those stuff helps.

just look at WWE, they are able to thrive so far because of that, K1 once able to use those tricks as well.

Just to quantify some of these general discussion points:

B9Qc7Un.png

V8CtUr4.png

Interesting that Latvia, Azerbajan, Moldova, and Tunisia prefer kickboxing to MMA and boxing. Seems odd that the Dutch and the Thais search about boxing more than kickboxing or muay thai. Laos the one country that searches MT more than anything else. I wouldnt be surprised if there were some complications which have skewed the data.
That does seem odd. Does Google take in account that Thais, Laotians, Cambodians all search using their own "hieroglyphs"? Otherwise those searching for "muay thai" in roman letters might very well be expats or tourists.

MT and Kickboxing just need that one promotion, to put them into the next big thing in the West.

MMA is realy fortunate that they have someone like Dana and Zuffa, who knows how to promote.

in the end of the day attention to detail is important, the production, the fighter attire, the cage, tale of the tape, the countdown, the promotion all those stuff helps.

just look at WWE, they are able to thrive so far because of that, K1 once able to use those tricks as well.

Glory had all the potential to do it, but dropped the ball.

Glory had all the potential to do it, but dropped the ball.

I can't really point out their big mistakes though, i mean some parts i like them to do better, but overall they did not a bad job.

I can't really point out their big mistakes though, i mean some parts i like them to do better, but overall they did not a bad job.

They're not even on TV anymore are they? Relegated to Fight Pass and ESPN3.

They failed to take advantage of K-1's demise. You had promotions in Japan and China pop up, and take advantage of the huge talent pool, while they focused entirely in the US and failed on both fronts. Couldn't become a mainstay in the US, and lost the East Asian market entirely.

And you said kickboxing needs "just that one promotion", well it wasn't Glory. So my point stands.

They failed to take advantage of K-1's demise. You had promotions in Japan and China pop up, and take advantage of the huge talent pool, while they focused entirely in the US and failed on both fronts. Couldn't become a mainstay in the US, and lost the East Asian market entirely.

And you said kickboxing needs "just that one promotion", well it wasn't Glory. So my point stands.

I was thinking of that too, but i don't see that as permanent mistake, when they know they couldn't capture US market just yet, why not move to different market.

Because Muay Thai is too 'Thai'. On a mainstream level, people like to culturally identify with their sport.

Glory main cards are sometimes broadcast live on tv on ESPN2 and sometimes on a tape delay of a couple hours or a couple of days on tv on ESPN2 besides being live on ESPN3 online, fyi. They've been dividing their focus on both Europe and the U.S. in the recent last couple of years and now dipping their toes into China with this card coming up.

No clue. Muay Thai/Kickboxing is basically MMA but with the least interesting bits left out.

Back