Why is lane splitting on a motorcycle legal?

Because motorcyclist are more likely to be killed.

Therefore we need to bend the rules for them instead lf them just following the rules

Like tandem rather than parallel? I thought that was illegal.

Also, the other day, driving fast coming off the highway, I almost changed lanes after this truck passed, but realized it was towing a very long bed so it wasn't clear to change lanes yet until the long bed also passed. Not easy to see the bed since it's much lower than the truck body itself.

Here's a better explanation than I could give

It's statistically safer to allow motorcycles to split lanes in slow moving traffic and at intersections. Motorcycles are significantly more likely to get rear ended, which could have much worse consequences for the biker. Allowing them to occupy the space between cars is safer for them. And in high congestion areas, it helps alleviate traffic to a small degree.

But yeah, that guy was a douche for hitting your mirror. I dont know if lane splitting is legal on Nevada. As far as I know, the only state to officially legalize it has been California.
Sitting at a red light and seeing a car come up behind still makes me nervous sometimes. Just sitting there praying they're not texting and only vaguely looking at that big blocky shape in front of them for when they should stop and not the significantly smaller bike behind it. I wouldn't split lanes in traffic but I would absolutely split lanes at intersections if I could.

i hate it. half the time you dont see them until they are going past you and if you just happen to swerve at the wrong time, you are gonna hit them. but 99% of all people on crotch rockets are assholes, so no big loss

It ain’t legal here.

Sitting at a red light and seeing a car come up behind still makes me nervous sometimes. Just sitting there praying they're not texting and only vaguely looking at that big blocky shape in front of them for when they should stop and not the significantly smaller bike behind it. I wouldn't split lanes in traffic but I would absolutely split lanes at intersections if I could.

At an intersection, I can as far to the edge of the lane as possible. That way there is much less of a chance of me getting hit by someone who isn't paying attention.

I think a decent middle-ground for lane-splitting would be to allow people on bikes to do so at intersections. We can accelerate faster, safer than cars, so it wouldn't create any issues once the light turns green.

But like I said in an earlier post: The biggest danger with lane splitting are people in cars who feel entitled to be "first".

While I recognize that it's illegal where I live, I sometimes split lanes in bad traffic on the highway. Especially if it's hot out. Keeping moving really helps keep things cool. Had a guy open a door on me once. Locked up the wheels and skid to a stop. He started yelling about waiting my turn.

That dude isn't mad that I'm breaking the law, he's mad that I could potentially get out of traffic faster than he could. And he feels entitled to potentially injure or even kill someone over that entitlement. That's so wild to me.

Inb4 "taking your life into your own hands when you break the law"

Back