Why is it so tough to have public health care?

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by no fat chicks, Aug 11, 2017.

1. no fat chicks Worlds greatest poster

no fat chicks
    Seriously. We will gladly hand over tax dollars for roads, our military and welfare. Why does the buck end where it would actually drastically increase the quality of life for many people?

2. Jim Bob Banned

Jim Bob
    Do you really want government corruption brought into healthcare and then dictating what treatments you can and can't have?

ripskater likes this.
  3. Rebound59 金繕い belt

Rebound59
    Do you really want to keep having double or more the medical cost of any other country in the world, where most of the less costly places have public healthcare?

ManCityFC9, ChainFlow, Rob_M. and 8 others like this.
  4. Wally Brando Banned

Wally Brando
    Because Republicans are sociopaths and the American people are dumb as fucking rocks. Pretty easy to understand.

5. Wally Brando Banned

Wally Brando
    What the fuck country are you talking about? Nobody in Canada is told what surgeries they can and can't have unless they opt to have their arm removed for no apparent reason or some dumb shit.

Badger67, Rebound59 and AnGrYcRoW like this.
  6. no fat chicks Worlds greatest poster

no fat chicks
    Why not have a private option?

Wally Brando likes this.
  7. AnGrYcRoW I've done .... questionable things .

AnGrYcRoW
    It doesn't have to be that way , you could use that logic to shoot anything down

8. Jim Bob Banned

Jim Bob
    My wife is a RN on a CICU unit here in the states. She is Canadian and has worked in both countries. Last month we went up to a city just outside of Toronto to see her aunt that was dying of congestive heart failure. She wanted to see my wife and son before she died.

She couldn't get proper pain medication, couldn't get into hospice and had to share a hospital room with a man with dementia. My wife was furious at the low standard of care.

NC252 likes this.
  9. Rebound59 金繕い belt

Rebound59
    Around here that's termed 2-tier healthcare and deemed undesirable due to probable gentrification of healthcare where all medical professionals but those with no other choice (for all intents and purposes) go into the private option and strand those who can't afford that option with few or no choices for seeking care. In other words, like charter and private schools are doing to public schools in the US, if you're poor you get shafted with a choice between shitty and shittier while the people with the money suck up all the available resources.

This is poorly worded because I'm in a hurry so don't nitpick. I'm sure you get the idea.

esotamoc and Rob_M. like this.
  10. Rebound59 金繕い belt

Rebound59
    So, the Canadian system is not perfect (mainly due to the lack of resources as alluded to in my previous post, above.) I agree. It's better than being bankrupted every time you have some health issue in the family. In any case, I'd like it if we were to get some clues from the NHS in the UK. I believe, dollar for dollar, it may be the most efficient and well run public health system in the world right now. Their per capita costs are well below Canada's and about a third of that of the US (or less).

11. HomerThompson President-elect

HomerThompson
    [​IMG]

Wally Brando likes this.
  12. Jack V Savage Secretary of Keepin' It Real/Nicest Guy on Sherdog

Jack V Savage
    There's a long-running paradox. Most people have long thought that the system sucks, but most people are happy with their own insurance. So a plan to replace everyone's care is a hard sell. Plus, as others have said, it's not a universally agreed-upon improvement, and our system makes big change very difficult unless it has really strong support.

lilelvis and AnGrYcRoW like this.
  13. AnGrYcRoW I've done .... questionable things .

AnGrYcRoW
    No doubt there are issues , any system has it's strengths and weaknesses , my father has terminal Cancer and his care to this point has been phenomenal.

Keep in mind that Canada spends half as much per person on health care compared to the US

14. Wally Brando Banned

Wally Brando
    The old 'ask a Canadian' canard. Tell me, if her aunt was in the states could she afford a standard of care that was to your wife's liking? Unless she's loaded I supremely fucking doubt it.

15. Trotsky Yellow Card

Trotsky
    Ended this thread before it even started.

It's funny how every anonymous person always has an anecdote about death panels, etc. in single payer systems, yet they are never actually recorded and documented. And when they finally are, such as the case of Charlie Gard, you realize it's complete bullshit and the hospital/government was completely in the right.

no fat chicks and Rebound59 like this.
  16. Jim Bob Banned

Jim Bob
    My wife says that the standard of care in the U.S. is much higher. In Canada everyone has insurance but substandard care unless you are wealthy. Too many hospitals understaffed.

17. Sohei Too swole to control

Sohei
    Because some rich people might have to lose some money over it.

esotamoc, ChainFlow and Rebound59 like this.
  18. Phr3121 Brown Belt

Phr3121
    It is not. In Oklahoma 'Blue Cross Blue Shield' offers a clause where the government will pay for part of your insurance if you fall under a certain financial bracket. You can thank Obama for this mess. Fucked the country and the world. Healthcare and the Syrian refugee crisis, and people complain about Donald Trump...

19. Sohei Too swole to control

Sohei
    Because people would then realize how bad the private companies are fvking them in the arse.

emefer likes this.
  20. Wally Brando Banned

Wally Brando
    Well you're wife is going on hearsay and anecdotal evidence because here in the real world our health care system ranks way above yours in every study on the subject.

emefer, no fat chicks and Rebound59 like this.