Why is Fairtex BGV9 not good for sparring?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by CodeBreaker, Oct 9, 2018.

1. CodeBreaker

CodeBreaker What belt?

Do these bag gloves also have better knuckle protection than sparring gloves?

2. Championstuff

Championstuff Brown Belt Platinum Member

My Fairtex sparring gloves cost 30 less than my Fairtex bgv9’s tbh.

3. Woldog

Woldog Boxer

Yeah my BGV6's were cheaper than my BGV9's idk where that guy got his prices from lmao

4. RDL81

RDL81 Orange Belt

......slightly off topic but my gym closed and been trying new places a couple have had sparing where people (beginners) have no head guards. This basically means I need to be extra careful throwing headshots ( I always pull them anyway) but they think they can go full tilt on me.

At my old gym a guy always used to spar in a pair of really worn 14oz gloves, he might as well have been wearing MMA gloves.

5. Woldog

Woldog Boxer

To be honest I'm the only guy who wears a headguard to spar at my gym. For 5 years I didn't wear one, its only in the last year or so that I started wearing facesavers to help with my headaches.

RDL81 likes this.
  6. Championstuff

When I used to spar I only wore one to help with my nose getting fucked up, but mostly to keep from getting cuts

RDL81 likes this.
  7. RDL81

RDL81 Orange Belt

@Woldog and @Championstuff that's good to know thanks.....it was mandatory at the old gym. I would wear one as need to avoid a marked face for work but maybe I shouldn't take it extra easy on those without one I guess I just worry about marking someone up

Woldog likes this.
  8. Championstuff

Getting marked up is nature of the game. Some of the worst black eyes I’ve ever had I got while wearing one. There’s no shame in a headgear.

9. makedansure

makedansure Blue Belt

no shame in headgear but remember headgear was first introduced into the sport to avoid cuts, not bruises, black eyes, or broken noses. @Woldog I hope the headgear helps, but damn if you're feeling headaches at all from sparring, just stop. At least take a big break.

guy I sparred with from Europe said none of them wear headgear in sparring. makes sense, because they don't seem to be into the inside game at all there (at least the amateurs).

it's almost impossible to fight inside like in the earlier decades since gloves don't allow you to open your hand to parry, hold, grab - for better or for worse.

Woldog likes this.
  10. makedansure

makedansure Blue Belt

to add, i still think it's absolutely crazy that IMF came to be used in sparring gloves. the IMF i've have is so springy.

what you want from the foam of your gloves is to retain its shape, to have memory. but to have such bouncy foam that almost snaps right back, in theory adding something to the end of the punch... might not cut you, but not what I would want to be hit by.

11. Woldog

Woldog Boxer

The headaches have been life long. I've had CT scans and everything to check. There is no damage that they can see, but there is a new migraine medication released this year that I'll be able to get soon and it should help. Getting hit just aggravated them. My R2C Facesaver and my UMA Facesaver have both helped prevent me getting migraines after sparring.