Why is Cormier risking his red panty night vs Lesnar?

PrepareForGlory

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
So Cormier has been very up front about only wanting to do "money fights". Says he has two fights left and has been adamant that he is retiring before March 20 when he turns 40.

He had leverage with his 2 belts. He could fight Gus at LHW without risking the Lesnar matchup at HW, which presumably will do 1 million+ buys and be the biggest payday of his career. Now he's fighting Black Beast in 3 weeks and defending his HW belt while getting stripped of his LHW belt. If he loses this fight Black Beast will jump the line ahead of him and he will be the one fighting Lesnar when he comes back.

Is this a ploy by the UFC to get Lesnar to be HW champ again? (Lesnar would beat Lewis imo if he follows the same gameplan he did vs Hunt). Why would Cormier risk his red panty night? If he loses vs Lewis who the hell would he fight for his last fight when he has no belts anymore?

Cormier is a company guy and they'll reward him for it.

They will pay him a handsome sum for saving that card. And it's a keep busy fight at that for Cormier. I wouldn't say it was hugely dangerous.

The game plan against hunt was to cheat with peds. If he comes in clean i pick both dc and Lewis to beat him

This became a money fight when they offered him his save-the-card bonus with a little bit extra to make him feel better about taking the LHW belt. That and the Lesnar fight and he gets to walk away with nice full pockets.

This is probably going to be DC's easiest fight in the UFC. Lewis admitted to not having cardio, not being ready, not wanting to fight for the title, having injuries. DC is a stylistic nightmare for Lewis.

This is really a gift fight that's mutually beneficial for both guys. Lewis get's the biggest cheque of his career. DC get's an easy title defense.

No one knows who Gus is!!!!

The dude fought last in the spring of 2017. He’s not a draw.

Black Beast just electrified the crowd with a crazy KO on one of the biggest mma cards of all time. He’s also got a memorable and marketable personality.

He’s a MUCH bigger fight on every conceivable level than Gus would be.

Plus he’s an easier fight (theoretically) and DC won’t have to cut weight.

There is Zero upside to fighting Gus, and there is no world in which it makes sense.

Probably cuz it's likely Lesnar pissed hot and won't be fighting.

He can fight either Jones or Gus for the belt at LHW and potentially retire champion there. Last I heard he wanted one more fight in HW and LHW. I know they may be stripping him of his LHW title, but it doesn't mean he can't win it back.

I love DC but according to Stipe (or his wife or whatever) DC turned down fighting him at 230.
Which means to me, that if true, DC doesn't really consider Lewis a threat like he does Stipe. Either that or he is trying to give another Louisiana native a title shot. And lets be honest, it's not that Lewis is undeserving its just that we all know he is lucky to have won his last fight. Lewis also isn't particularly skilled and does not have the cardio to fight a 5 round fight. DC just has to not get caught.

Probably cuz it's likely Lesnar pissed hot and won't be fighting.

Of course you can't rule that out with Brock but hopefully that's not the case.

I think DC just doesn't see Lewis as a threat and the UFC will surely pay DC a hefty sum for saving UFC 230.

No one knows who Gus is!!!!

The dude fought last in the spring of 2017. He’s not a draw.

Black Beast just electrified the crowd with a crazy KO on one of the biggest mma cards of all time. He’s also got a memorable and marketable personality.

He’s a MUCH bigger fight on every conceivable level than Gus would be.

Plus he’s an easier fight (theoretically) and DC won’t have to cut weight.

There is Zero upside to fighting Gus, and there is no world in which it makes sense.

Yeah but you really think Lewis will sell THAT much more? As in like 100's of thousands of buys difference to make it worth it. If Cormier lost to Gus. He'd still fight Lesnar. If he loses to Lewis, he's fucked.

Lesnar prob popped.
Hence the recent USADA policy.
Also they desperately needed a 230 main event after the backlash last week.

Because Lesnar is still melting piss cups and isn’t usada eligible yet, dc getting tired of waiting and taking this free fight for some cheeseburgers

As you said DC will retire soon so he is already thinking about post retirement job and it is cristal clear that he is aiming a job at the WWE so he's taking all the freak show fights he can to prove he's WWE material.
Think about that

The fuck are you talking about DC vs Gus does over a million PPV buys? You should be banned for trolling so hard. There first fight sold what? 200k or something if I’m not mistaken. The stipe fight only sold around 500 or so and even the jon Jones sold under a million.

Not sure what fairytale world you’re living in but you gotta get your facts together before posting long posts that have no thought behind them

So Cormier has been very up front about only wanting to do "money fights". Says he has two fights left and has been adamant that he is retiring before March 20 when he turns 40.

He had leverage with his 2 belts. He could fight Gus at LHW without risking the Lesnar matchup at HW, which presumably will do 1 million+ buys and be the biggest payday of his career. Now he's fighting Black Beast in 3 weeks and defending his HW belt while getting stripped of his LHW belt. If he loses this fight Black Beast will jump the line ahead of him and he will be the one fighting Lesnar when he comes back.

Is this a ploy by the UFC to get Lesnar to be HW champ again? (Lesnar would beat Lewis imo if he follows the same gameplan he did vs Hunt). Why would Cormier risk his red panty night? If he loses vs Lewis who the hell would he fight for his last fight when he has no belts anymore?

Yeah but you really think Lewis will sell THAT much more? As in like 100's of thousands of buys difference to make it worth it. If Cormier lost to Gus. He'd still fight Lesnar. If he loses to Lewis, he's fucked.

It’ll sell more. And assuredly the UFC has sweetened the deal for Cormier to save this card. It’s a no-brainer.

And I’d say that it’s WAY more likely that DC would lose to Gus than he would to Lewis: 1) short notice weight cut. 2) injured hand. 3) Gus is far more skilled than Lewis.

All Cormier has to do vs. Lewis is not get sloppy. Cormier has already handled Rumble 2X, and Lewis brings far less skill and athleticism to the table, and MAYBE more power—but that’s nowhere near enough.

Gus isn’t on Cormier’s level, but he’s also not a guy you want to take lightly—or face at less than 100%

Minimal risk. DC will be able win this one with ease.

Back