Why is Average IQ So Much Higher in Blue States Than Red?

OP asked a valid question. I think it ultimately boils down to a disproportionate amount of educated people being attracted to those areas for jobs and with that, they bring wealth, education and overall a higher quality of living.

I graduated college and I can attest that it is useless. Graduating highschool is all the education you need. I can outsmart any college graduate I have ever met because you are either smart or you aren't.

Thats why I am trying to kill my brain cells will alcohol.

lol. Dunning-kruger in full effect. AKA college is useless because I am dumb and didn´t use it for anything. Now I build refrigirators and shit. But I am really fookin smart man.

I'd be interested to know how someone is able to give average IQ of each state down to the exact number, but it was likely done by the same polling geniuses who also had Hillary winning in a landslide.

I think you fake news'd, brah.

OP asked a valid question. I think it ultimately boils down to a disproportionate amount of educated people being attracted to those areas for jobs and with that, they bring wealth, education and overall a higher quality of living.

Higher Education does not equal intelligence, especially beyond college. If one graduates in business or STEM fields I would understand but a liberal arts post graduate degree does not equal higher intelligence.

http://edition.cnn.com/election/results/exit-polls

Some college education: Trump 51% , Clinton 43%
College education : Trump 44%, Clinton 44%
Post graduate: trump 37, Clinton 58%

The only educational that Clinton won by an
Rage margin is post grad. Considering the sheer amount of liberal arts post grad degrees out there it's not surprising. Now what I would like to see is a what their post grad degrees are in. I will bet that the people who voted for trump are business/STEM fields.

People who lean left are typically brighter in my experience. A lot of low level workers/proletarians tend to lean right so the disparity is even more obvious.

Does this mean that leftist views are inherently more intelligent/correct? I would to see how this conclusion could be logically reached given what is known.

Higher Education does not equal intelligence, especially beyond college. If one graduates in business or STEM fields I would understand but a liberal arts post graduate degree does not equal higher intelligence.

I'm not really sure if you are disagreeing with me or are further continuing the conversation.

Of course education does not equal intelligence, I don't believe my post implied this. The data the OP provided is based on SAT/ACT scores. My issue is with standardized testing. In my opinion, standardized testing it is not an accurate measure of intelligence for each state's population simply because not all students across the board will be afforded equal opportunity, and thus a poor measure.

Ok, but even if your numbers are right, most of the high IQ states are liberal. You guys keep insulting my numbers then posting alternate numbers that support the same basic conclusion.
It doesn't support the same conclusion. It has all kinds of contradictions like high IQ Rep states and low IQ Dem states.

4) I did link to a 2004 source because it is the most recent such study available
5) I did change the name after the candidate to reflect the current election. So what?

So what? So you purposely doctored and provided data that was untrue so you could try to prove a point based on inappropriate data...

If I did that at my job I'd be shitcanned. How can you not see a problem with what you did??? I guess the whole DNC was doing this so I shouldn't really blame you.

Anyways, you've lost all credibility.

People who lean left are typically brighter in my experience. A lot of low level workers/proletarians tend to lean right so the disparity is even more obvious.

Does this mean that leftist views are inherently more intelligent/correct? I would to see how this conclusion could be logically reached given what is known.

There was a time in the us when liberals were articulate, calm, and intelligent. This Time has long gone away. There are no more Gore Vidals.

I would never claim to be a standout in any regard but my grades and my test scores are much better then the vast majority of people in Sweden albeit I would never consider myself as highly intelligent. So my point is that tests like these don't tell the whole picture.

I don't follow. Top 5% would put you above 95% of the population. Just because it's not standout doesn't mean it's not high. The higher you go in any profession (and that includes the trades), the higher the average IQ's are going to be.

Tests like the SAT test a broader range of the population and so testing highly on those is good. But everyone who goes to undergrad and grad school and then makes real progress in their career also tested well on those exams. So, it's going to require higher and higher scores to stand out intellectually. I'm an exceptionally bright guy but after spending 3 years surrounded by other exceptionally bright people in law school, I realized that exceptionally bright isn't unique at this level (regardless of field).

Top 5% is still top 5%, it's just not standout. But there's a yuge range between standout and average...better to be close to the top than close to the bottom.

I don't follow. Top 5% would put you above 95% of the population. Just because it's not standout doesn't mean it's not high. The higher you go in any profession (and that includes the trades), the higher the average IQ's are going to be.

Tests like the SAT test a broader range of the population and so testing highly on those is good. But everyone who goes to undergrad and grad school and then makes real progress in their career also tested well on those exams. So, it's going to require higher and higher scores to stand out intellectually. I'm an exceptionally bright guy but after spending 3 years surrounded by other exceptionally bright people in law school, I realized that exceptionally bright isn't unique at this level (regardless of field).

Top 5% is still top 5%, it's just not standout. But there's a yuge range between standout and average...better to be close to the top than close to the bottom.
I'm one that doesn't think academic performance in grades and tests = success in business.

I think things like charisma, drive, positive attitude, ability to relate to people, ambition are more important. Also who you know is important.

I went to high school with a kid. Not real intelligent. I'd say average at best. The guy now runs the biggest construction company in the county. He has all the political connections and does tens of millions in heavy construction in the surrounding area every year. He's sort of an arrogant jerk at times from what I hear, but he's an example. He is a hard worker though.

I'm one that doesn't think academic performance in grades and tests = success in business.

I think things like charisma, drive, positive attitude, ability to relate to people, ambition are more important. Also who you know is important.

I went to high school with a kid. Not real intelligent. I'd say average at best. The guy now runs the biggest construction company in the county. He has all the political connections and does tens of millions in heavy construction in the surrounding area every year. He's sort of an arrogant jerk at times from what I hear, but he's an example. He is a hard worker though.

And you say he's average based on what? Average meaning IQ of ~100.

And your first sentence is irrelevant to what we were discussing. He was saying he scored well on a standardized exam but doesn't feel like he's all that bright. Nothing about whether or not it's tied to business success.

Business success is tied to wide range of skills and intelligence is certainly one of them, it's just not the only one. People like to pretend that intelligence isn't a factor because the person they're talking about doesn't have a 150+ IQ. But even 115 is a full standard deviation above the average and moves someone into the top 20%. You only need an IQ of 120 to enter the top 10%.

So when someone says someone is successful but isn't that smart - are they thinking about top 0.1% IQ's. or top 10%? Because both are pretty smart.

Also, while you might find people with less-than-stellar SAT scores who still have a lot of success in their academic program and career, they probably still scored well above average on those exams. I went to school with a number of people who went from either struggling or being middle-of-the-pack students early on to excelling as seniors, but they were still far smarter, at least academically, than your average person.

And you say he's average based on what? Average meaning IQ of ~100.

Yeah I'd say this guy was and is average IQ. I'm feel I'm accurate in saying that. I don't remember his grades or test scores but I know he wasn't a high academic achiever. I don't think he's dumb, I just think he's average intelligence. I will say he may be one of the most confident people I've ever met. He just comes off as having supreme confidence.

He's obviously a heck of a businessman though based on what he makes. He lives in a mansion.

Probably one of the cockiest dudes you'd shake hands with though. He's not short on confidence, hard work, knowing how to make money. And like I said, he's connected with all the right people in my county. He's got the politicians in his pocket. He's a good ole boy and takes full advantage of that in making his money. His dad was politically involved and got rich, and then passed down all the political contacts to his son. And this guy is taking full advantage of it. I do think the guy does good work.

Yeah I'd say this guy was and is average IQ. I'm feel I'm accurate in saying that. I don't remember his grades or test scores but I know he wasn't a high academic achiever. I don't think he's dumb, I just think he's average intelligence. I will say he may be one of the most confident people I've ever met. He just comes off as having supreme confidence.

He's obviously a heck of a businessman though based on what he makes. He lives in a mansion.

Probably one of the cockiest dudes you'd shake hands with though. He's not short on confidence, hard work, knowing how to make money. And like I said, he's connected with all the right people in my county. He's got the politicians in his pocket. He's a good ole boy and takes full advantage of that in making his money.

So without knowing his grades or his test scores, you're deciding he's average IQ. Rip, that's very superficial of you.

You're passing judgment on the man's mental abilities without anything to base it on. Here's something worth being aware of - one of the most common fallacies regarding high intelligence, especially at the high school and under level, is that it's identifiable by high academic achievement. They don't go hand-in-hand so you can never determine if someone is/isn't smart just because they don't get good grades.

So without knowing his grades or his test scores, you're deciding he's average IQ.
Yep. Because I was around him some in high school. He wasn't dumb and he did not seem above average intelligence either. So I'd say he's average intelligence.

And myself, I'm average. I had below average test scores to poor test scores at times. I got good grades many times cause I worked hard and my parents told me is was important to get good grades. But my grades dropped as I played more high school sports. Just not enough time to prepare some nights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back