Why is alcohol abuse so bad among native Americans.

What do you think bread is made from and what is typically used in the initial fermentation of gin?

I'll give you a hint.

It rhymes with GRAINS.

what are you on about, did i say that the Irish were buying grains and making their own gin? fermenting grains into alcohol and then distilling that was a way to give your crop a long shelf life, and the irish didn't own the crops.

so they are just damned forever and can never better themselves as a people because 200 years ago?
Let's see, with the blacks, separate but equal (which really wasn't equal but second class citizenry) took over after 400 years of slavery ended to remind the ex-slaves of their place in society...behind the white man. That lasted for over a hundred more years and we're still sorting it out bc white people can't get it out of their fucking heads that black people aren't inferior to whites, the Civil War was fought by southern traitors and that the only thing romantic about the antebellum south was the mint julep.

As for the indian, after we stole all we could and there was nothing left to take, we rounded these people up and put them on fucking reservations that were on par with abject poverty. Talk about dream killing.

And this sort of treatment at the hands of white people has created a systemic and enduring pathology of self-loathing, poor identity, and zero opportunity for the indian unless you wanted to sell out.

This goes on for decades and decades and decades and nothing has changed except for incremental gains by backroom attorneys working pro bono for the cause.

How do you think you'd fare coming from a background of derision and scape goating? How'd you like to see the president's faces carved into a summit....the same guys who stole your land, slaughtered your people and consigned you to servitude status?

I wouldn't like it.

From Alaska to Argentina, native americans and their descendants seem to be far more vulnerable to alcoholism than any other group.

Ill say that personally as someone who carries native genes, ill say that my liver is 100% native because i cant hold my booze, but unlike real natives i also cant stand booze, i find the taste bitter and off-putting.

I only drink beer when in a grillhouse or seafood place and i order the lightest, most watered down version of it.

Reading a bit about it the only thing i can find is that natives have trouble metabolizing alcohol, but it says nothing about the addiction to it.

Also i dont think you can claim cultural reasons since its all over the continent.
you are part native? I saw your pic and aside from your jet black hair I couldnt really see it. I thought you were straight up european.

Reparations. Coddling. Babying. Treating people with "special" conditions DOES not work. Understand, BLMers?

The best thing we should have done for these people was actually integrate and assimilate them, not separate them and give them money so they do nothing in their lives.

Not having any real purpose in life given handouts is not living.

you are part native? I saw your pic and aside from your jet black hair I couldnt really see it. I thought you were straight up european.

We are all part native here in Mexico, in some people its just isn't as obvious.

My biggest native trait is my hair, i just grows coarse and dry like that of a chinese man, coupled with a full beard, i just grow into a neardenthal if i dont shave and cut my hair.

what are you on about, did i say that the Irish were buying grains and making their own gin? fermenting grains into alcohol and then distilling that was a way to give your crop a long shelf life, and the irish didn't own the crops.
That can’t be true because the Irish could not afford anything beside potatoes and Kerrygold butter.

We are all part native here in Mexico, in some people its just isn't as obvious.

My biggest native trait is my hair, i just grows coarse and dry like that of a chinese man, coupled with a full beard, i just grow into a neardenthal if i dont shave and cut my hair.
from my understanding, Mexicans walk around thinking "We're proud Mexicans!" instead of "We're oppressed Indians", which is your sentiment?

from my understanding, Mexicans walk around thinking "We're proud Mexicans!" instead of "We're oppressed Indians", which is your sentiment?

A lot Mexicans are actually quite racist against Indians while at the same time praising their indian heritage, it makes no sense. And the more prevalent the indian admixture the more racist the region.

Im not really a nationalist guy.

I always wonder why the Anglo Saxon did not try to enslave or bond the natives as opposed to bringing in black slaves. It seems like a cheaper thing to do.

They tried to enslave First Nations People. Africans became a better alternative for several reasons:

1. Natives tended to get sick and /or die after being exposed to pathogens Anglos brought with them. West Africans were immune however, because they were from the Old World as well.

2. West Africans were seen as a stronger/hardier race and more suited for manual labor. And because they came from more feudal rather than tribal cultures some saw them as more experienced with manual farming techniques.

3. Natives for the most part were from communal tribes where a permanent slave underclass was mostly a foreign concept, whereas West African had more feudal-based culture where slave under-classes were more common so it was easier for them to accept. Thats where the myth of the 'wild Injun who couldnt be tamed' came from.

Phenotype doesnt always match genotype 100%. There was a famous black Brazilian singer who they tested his genotype and asked him what he thought his background was. He said he believed he was 100% African.

His genes were 55% Portuguese, 35% African, and 10% Native Brazilian.

Phenotype doesnt always match genotype 100%. There was a famous black Brazilian singer who they tested his genotype and asked him what he thought his background was. He said he believed he was 100% African.

His genes were 55% Portuguese, 35% African, and 10% Native Brazilian.
wow thats interesting. I'm half native half white, and people here in new jersey think I'm white. usually italian. But then again I talk and act like a white guy.

btw what famous singer were you talking about if you recall. I'm a big fan of brazilian music.

A lot Mexicans are actually quite racist against Indians while at the same time praising their indian heritage, it makes no sense. And the more prevalent the indian admixture the more racist the region.

Im not really a nationalist guy.
do you think the reason for that is more cultural or racial?

do you think the reason for that is more cultural or racial?

The reason is cultural, because wealth and education is associated with whiteness while poverty and ignorance is associated with browness.

Yet in the intellectual circles the opposite happened, the local history was praised and the foreign influence vilified in an effort to build a national identity that goes beyond being a colony.

That can’t be true because the Irish could not afford anything beside potatoes and Kerrygold butter.

poor but proud
th

Yet in the intellectual circles the opposite happened, the local history was praised and the foreign influence vilified in an effort to build a national identity that goes beyond being a colony.

yes, it's always the academics that go against the grain.

People tend to yearn for what they don't have. The poor is proud of their brown identity but secretly want to trade place with the white ruling class. The academics wouldn't be academics without 'white influnce' but think being native and ethnic as something authentic and dignified - sort of 'dignity in long suffering'

yes, it's always the academics that go against the grain.

People tend to yearn for what they don't have. The poor is proud of their brown identity but secretly want to trade place with the white ruling class. The academics wouldn't be academics without 'white influnce' but think being native and ethnic as something authentic and dignified - sort of 'dignity in long suffering'

Not necesarily the native and ethnic part, but the mixed part, it was made in an effort to create a republican society without castes and classes.

And it kind of worked, even while racism may be present in society everyone still considers themselves as Mexicans.

I have an interesting parallel story: a guy I know from a 3rd world county told me how every one in his country yearns to be in America, and that every new trend from America is enthusiastically copied. When he migrated to America.... he eventually turned the opposite direction: in order not to lose his identity, he had to reclaim a lot his old culture. Eventually some of his relatives moved to America, when they finally met, the newbies were more American than the guy himself. They knew the latest American hit music.... ect while he started listening to his native music made by his country men in America.

Back