Why is alcohol abuse so bad among native Americans.

the ability to drink heavily and still function helped my Irish ancestors survive when gin cost less than bread, gotta get your calories somewhere. evolution can be weird.

th

What the hell do you think gin is made out of?

I think their alcoholism is a symptom of being mentally unwell first and foremost. Living on tribe handouts, on reservations owned communally (no property rights), isolated from society, stuck in vicious circles of poor parenting and mental illness. They haven't had to adapt to the real world, get real jobs, take on challenges, accumulate wealth. They're just rotting away.

I've known a brother and sister who were adopted as babies, never been on a reservation, had good parents who didn't drink but both ended up as alcoholics and died before they made it to thirty. They both had good jobs but couldn't stay away from alcohol. The male died from aspirating his own vomit and the female in a car crash when she went off the road while drunk and hit a tree.

Almost every culture has produced some form of alcohol. Some weren't able to produce large quantities on a year round basis.

What the hell do you think gin is made out of?

Not bread, and even if it were, it isn't like they were buying bread and making some type of beer, distilling that and adding juniper berries and shit <JagsKiddingMe>

Nope.

Most likely would had mixed with Europeans like the Spanish did with the natives.

The whole exterminating the indians, seem to be exclusively an Anglo-Saxon thing.

Yeah the whole kill the Indian and save the man thing as an excuse to take their kids away and raise them elsewhere was awful, and was similar to what the Aussie's did to Aboriginal people. Protestant thing I guess.

Yeah the whole kill the Indian and save the man thing as an excuse to take their kids away and raise them elsewhere was awful, and was similar to what the Aussie's did to Aboriginal people. Protestant thing I guess.

I guess so.

Spanish explorers didnt discriminated when it came to getting laid, if you could afford a mistress you could get as many as you wanted and considering the death toll due to famine and overworkings i guess there was a lot of women for the few men.

Nope.

Most likely would had mixed with Europeans like the Spanish did with the natives.

The whole exterminating the indians, seem to be exclusively an Anglo-Saxon thing.

Well you forget that the Iroquois (mostly the Mohawks) exterminated the Hurons.

Well you forget that the Iroquois (mostly the Mohawks) exterminated the Hurons.

Defeat of the Huron[edit]
In 1648, the Dutch authorized selling guns directly to the Mohawk rather than through traders, and promptly sold 400 to the Iroquois. The Confederacy sent 1,000 newly armed warriors through the woods to Huron territory. With the onset of winter, the Iroquois warriors launched a devastating attack into the heart of Huron territory, destroying several key villages, killing many warriors and taking thousands of people captive, for later adoption into the tribe. Among those killed were the Jesuit missionaries Jean Brebeuf, Charles Garnier, and Gabriel Lallemant. Each is considered a martyr of the Roman Catholic Church. The surviving Huron fled their territory to seek assistance from the AnishinaabegConfederacy in the northern Great Lakes region. The Odaawaa Nation (Ottawa) temporarily halted Iroquois expansion further northwest. With the Hurons' withdrawal, the Iroquois controlled a fur-rich region and had no more native tribes blocking them from the French settlements in Canada.[18]

European diseases had taken their toll on the Iroquois and neighbors in the years preceding the war, however, and their populations had drastically declined. To replace lost warriors, the Iroquois worked to integrate many of their captured enemy by adoption into their own tribes. They invited Jesuits into their territory to teach those who had converted to Christianity. One priest recorded, "As far as I can divine, It is the design of the Iroquois to capture all the Huron...put the Chiefs to death...and with the rest to form one nation and country". The Jesuits also reached out to the Iroquois, many of whom converted to or added Roman Catholicism to indigenous belief. The converted Iroquois would play an important part in the years to come.[19]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaver_Wars#Defeat_of_the_Huron

Defeat of the Huron[edit]
In 1648, the Dutch authorized selling guns directly to the Mohawk rather than through traders, and promptly sold 400 to the Iroquois. The Confederacy sent 1,000 newly armed warriors through the woods to Huron territory. With the onset of winter, the Iroquois warriors launched a devastating attack into the heart of Huron territory, destroying several key villages, killing many warriors and taking thousands of people captive, for later adoption into the tribe. Among those killed were the Jesuit missionaries Jean Brebeuf, Charles Garnier, and Gabriel Lallemant. Each is considered a martyr of the Roman Catholic Church. The surviving Huron fled their territory to seek assistance from the AnishinaabegConfederacy in the northern Great Lakes region. The Odaawaa Nation (Ottawa) temporarily halted Iroquois expansion further northwest. With the Hurons' withdrawal, the Iroquois controlled a fur-rich region and had no more native tribes blocking them from the French settlements in Canada.[18]

European diseases had taken their toll on the Iroquois and neighbors in the years preceding the war, however, and their populations had drastically declined. To replace lost warriors, the Iroquois worked to integrate many of their captured enemy by adoption into their own tribes. They invited Jesuits into their territory to teach those who had converted to Christianity. One priest recorded, "As far as I can divine, It is the design of the Iroquois to capture all the Huron...put the Chiefs to death...and with the rest to form one nation and country". The Jesuits also reached out to the Iroquois, many of whom converted to or added Roman Catholicism to indigenous belief. The converted Iroquois would play an important part in the years to come.[19]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaver_Wars#Defeat_of_the_Huron

What it doesn't say though is that they also tortured a bunch of the captured to death.

But yes I do agree with you. Adoption was a Native Tradition. But it was forced adoption. More like forced assimilation. All this is ok when Natives do it perhaps.

What it doesn't say though is that they also tortured a bunch of the captured to death.

But yes I do agree with you. Adoption was a Native Tradition. But it was forced adoption. More like forced assimilation. All this is ok when Natives do it perhaps.

The point i was arguing was the notion that the natives would had genocided the Europeans (as opposed to reservations) if the roles were reversed and the natives invaded Europe.

My point was that most likely it would had lead to natives mixing with Europeans, like in most cases of history.

this thread reminds me of a very sad story that I would like to share. In the summer of 2006 I was working for my uncle at his hotel in north battlefront saskatchewan. This hotel also had a small liquor store.

One day a native woman comes in and buys a 26 of whiskey. I see her about an hour later and she had finished the whole thing and was drunk as fuck. Later on in the night I go out back to empty some garbage and I see her passed out in the alley and getting nailed by some old native guy.

Next night she comes in again, buys another 26 of whiskey, passes out in alley and gets nailed by the same old native guy.

Night after that she comes in and buys a bottle of gin. I says to her " I thought you liked whiskey" and she replies "whiskey gives me a sore cunt"

If that old native guy is actually her husband, then this aint so bad really.

Nope.

I always wonder why the Anglo Saxon did not try to enslave or bond the natives as opposed to bringing in black slaves. It seems like a cheaper thing to do.

I've known a brother and sister who were adopted as babies, never been on a reservation, had good parents who didn't drink but both ended up as alcoholics and died before they made it to thirty. They both had good jobs but couldn't stay away from alcohol. The male died from aspirating his own vomit and the female in a car crash when she went off the road while drunk and hit a tree.

Almost every culture has produced some form of alcohol. Some weren't able to produce large quantities on a year round basis.

I guess college. They still trying to live their glory days.

I always wonder why the Anglo Saxon did not try to enslave or bond the natives as opposed to bringing in black slaves. It seems like a cheaper thing to do.

Probably cheaper to bring in slaves than try and fight Indians and slave them on their own foothold.

Slave trade was already a well established industry by the time the Anglos came.

The bonding part probably stems from the puritanical view of Indians as people who god hated as opposed to people that ought to be converted like the spanish did.

Not bread, and even if it were, it isn't like they were buying bread and making some type of beer, distilling that and adding juniper berries and shit <JagsKiddingMe>

What do you think bread is made from and what is typically used in the initial fermentation of gin?

I'll give you a hint.

It rhymes with GRAINS.

The point i was arguing was the notion that the natives would had genocided the Europeans (as opposed to reservations) if the roles were reversed and the natives invaded Europe.

My point was that most likely it would had lead to natives mixing with Europeans, like in most cases of history.

True.

Weren t you supposed to be banned btw?

Seminole and the Cherokee had African slaves. We're all taught about the Trail of Tears in school, but it's never taught that the the Cherokee African slaves were also forced to march.

Depends on the tribe with the adoption. Take Sacagawea, the lady on the $1 coin that helped Lewis and Clark. She was Shoshone, kidnapped by the Hidatsa, and sold to a Frenchie.

Don't ever dig into what the Comanche did to their captives. Shit will give you nightmares.

Back