"Why is a real boxer able to outclass a fighter like McGregor? Boxing More Skilled & is MMA a Brawl?

Wrong. Boxing is an olympic sport with a deep talent pool ... there are state-sponsored programs which weed out bad talent since day one. Not only that but the pay is way higher, luring in A-level athletes. Top boxers are much more talented than top MMA fighters, this is factual. MMA is entertaining but the sport aspect of it is still very weak.

You mean like a talent pool of collegiate and Olympic level wrestlers? Or bjj competitors that have been doing it their whole lives and competing in tournaments all over the world?

If we are talking about a "real fight", the one tool I would want in my toollbox is good boxing. Good hands will prevail in most real fights; more so than wrestling or jujitsu. Anyway, it's proven, MMA fighters cannot stand up to two favorite weapons in a real fight...eye pokes and groin kicks.

For me the question isn't why Mayweather managed to beat Conor. After all - that's his thing and it's a narrow thing compared to what Conor's been working at but why was a guy like Conor, who isn't a boxer, who isn't someone who's spent their entire life in a ring working on one way of competing able to go and last 10 rounds, not get knocked out (TKO - different than being put on the mat) and manage to do a better job at connecting than some other guys who were "the best at their sport" and did nothing but box their whole lives?

To me - the Conor v Floyd did nothing but cheapen boxing. Show it's not really all that great. You had the equivalent of a KOTH or SCORE driver hop into a F1 car and end up top 5. Something they're not used to running in a completely different set of rules against world class competition and NOT being embarrassed.

For me the question isn't why Mayweather managed to beat Conor. After all - that's his thing and it's a narrow thing compared to what Conor's been working at but why was a guy like Conor, who isn't a boxer, who isn't someone who's spent their entire life in a ring working on one way of competing able to go and last 10 rounds, not get knocked out (TKO - different than being put on the mat) and manage to do a better job at connecting than some other guys who were "the best at their sport" and did nothing but box their whole lives?

To me - the Conor v Floyd did nothing but cheapen boxing. Show it's not really all that great. You had the equivalent of a KOTH or SCORE driver hop into a F1 car and end up top 5. Something they're not used to running in a completely different set of rules against world class competition and NOT being embarrassed.

Floyd is 40 and way smaller than McGregor, and beat him in a non competitive fight.

There are 20-50 boxers in Conor's weight class that would knock him out in spectacular fashion within 1-2 rounds in boxing...but fighters like those couldn't touch the Mayweather's of the world.

He's a boxer who focuses a lot of his time on the other arts. If he was "practically" a boxer he would be taken down and strangled, but obviously he doesn't train strictly boxing like Mayweather does. When you strictly train one of the arts, amazingly, you get better than a guy spending less time training that art...

<{Joewithit}>
To late
hqdefault.jpg
Also that logic doesnt work enter Saki. Dude is a kickboxer and just beat a 12 - 3 UFC fighter.
$
Also
2vw8qph.jpg
Also old Ray Mercer koing a UFC champion with basically no MMA training.

Last edited:
For the same reason a fencer would beat an actual sword fighter in a fencing match.

The rules are so detached from combat and arbitrary, that it is no longer a contest of who is better at fighting....

I can be a bit more succinct:

" Floyd beats Conor in a boxing match and Conor beats Floyd in an MMA match"

Conor kicks the shit out of Floyd in a Bangkok stadium as well...or at the gold medal match for freestyle wrestling.

Wrong. Boxing is an olympic sport with a deep talent pool ... there are state-sponsored programs which weed out bad talent since day one. Not only that but the pay is way higher, luring in A-level athletes. Top boxers are much more talented than top MMA fighters, this is factual. MMA is entertaining but the sport aspect of it is still very weak.

Actually talking to boxing fans even boxing is losing A level talent to other sports. Not too many people want to get repeatedly punched in the head.

Pay not way higher that is one of the biggest fantasies boxing people attempt to sell the public and it's bullshit. You have a ton of boxers with excellent records that barely make any money whatsoever. Years ago you had guys on the contender with 20-0 records working as plumbers. Marvin Hagler was not making millions and millions of dollars until he was practically in his 30s. He had like 50 fights. Superstars can make more sure although the gap is closing. But the idea that you can start boxing and putting together some wins and instantly make a shitload of money. Bullshit. Total fantasy.

Of course, it was only worth it to him if he would win, and it was worth it to Conor either way.

Correct. Conor had already achieved something amazing by getting Floyd in the ring.

Some of my mates actually said "oh what will Conor do if he loses?" And I responded he couldn't lose. If he loses the fight he still wins, his profile is bigger and he goes back to MMA or fights Pauline. He wins, well he's nearly king of the world!

Why do the pentathletes swim slower than the 200 metre swimmers at the Olympics when they both do the same event? So confusing.

:eek::eek::eek:

Why is a real boxer able to outclass a fighter like McGregor? Is boxing more highly-skilled compared to MMA, where it is a brawl?

An insightful answer to a two-part question from Quora.com. Thought Sherdoggers would enjoy it as much as I did:

"Hunter Moore

So you take two people. One of them spends 30 years drawing nothing but circles. The other one spends those 30 years drawing circles, squares, triangles, hexagons, octagons, pentagons, stars, ovals, and dodecagons.

Then you put those two people together in a room and make them draw the best circle they can.

Chances are the guy who has drawn nothing but circles will draw the better circle. He’s had more practice, circles are his thing.

But if you ask him to draw all those things the other guy has drawn as well as a circle, he wouldn’t do nearly as well.

So the reason McGregor is outclassed in boxing by a boxer, is because the boxer has done nothing but boxing, while McGregor has been doing wrestling and jujitsu and muay thai. He’s used to fighting in a completely different way.

Chances are, the world’s best boxer will always be a better boxer than the world’s best MMA fighter when it comes to boxing. Otherwise he wouldn’t be the best boxer, would he?

But the idea that MMA is a brawl is wrong. While some MMA fights can be brawls, the same can be said for boxing matches.

Neither is really more skill based than the other, the skills needed are just very different.

An MMA fighter needs to be able juggle all these different methods of fighting. Punches, kicks, elbows, grappling, submissions, etc. They can’t focus entirely on just one or their opponents can exploit their lack of experience in the other.

Meanwhile, a boxer only has to focus on punches. But they also need to potentially fight for much longer, hit harder to make up for thicker gloves, deal with a much tougher defense also due to the bigger gloves, and various other details that MMA fighters don’t deal with.

Just because the guy drawing nothing but circles draws better circles than the guy who also draws squares doesn’t mean drawing squares is inferior to drawing circles. They’re two different shapes. Boxing and MMA are two different sports.
"

Why can the wrestler wrestle??? In boxers cannot???

there is no need for a thread about this. it was obvious to most before the fight, but after it was over, anyone who is too stupid to realize the reasons why is beyond help.

Boxing can't draw like MMA

agreed (besides the facts that it can, still boring)

That was a vey elqeuent way of saying Conor got out boxed by a boxer.

To late
hqdefault.jpg
Also that logic doesnt work enter Saki. Dude is a kickboxer and just beat a 12 - 3 UFC fighter.
$
Also
2vw8qph.jpg
Also old Ray Mercer koing a UFC champion with basically no MMA training.

This is the most horrendous piece of shit post formatting, I think I've ever seen. Why did you think it was a good idea to post it like this?

WOW, amazing!, who woulda thought it??!! o_Oo_Oo_O

I fear not the man who knows a thousand kicks once but the kick a man a thousand times he throws once...

Conor doesn't have a great chin by boxing standards. Totally one dimensional fighter that can only go forward. The minute he's down in a fight he folds like a beach chair. He doesn't like fighting guys his size or bigger, Which is why him and his promoter are always hunting for a massive size differential. A guy who isn't even on boxrec top 20 p4p, Daniel Jacobs, would brutally KO him within 2 rounds, since he's Conors weight but not a midget. He quits when he's tired, which happens in every one of his fights that are over 10-15 minutes long. He needs to stick to mma and stay away from Khabib and Tony Ferguson.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back