"Why is a real boxer able to outclass a fighter like McGregor? Boxing More Skilled & is MMA a Brawl?

Thing is McGregor isn't even a wrestler or jiuj jitsu guy. He's practically a boxer in his UFC fights. His flashy kicks don't even land.

This argument would work if we were talking about someone like GSP or Khabib.

He trains everything. He has stuffed takedowns from most fighters, wrestlefucked Holloway, got out of a Mendes guillotine, and reversed Nate on the ground. That takes skill.

Khabib is less well-rounded than Conor so don't know why you would bring him up.

Top boxers are much more talented than top MMA fighters, this is factual. MMA is entertaining but the sport aspect of it is still very weak.
Pretty much true, currently boxing is deeper and always has been historically. The average level of talent is higher than in MMA, I don't think anyone thinks otherwise. However, from what I've seen lots of boxing gyms are looking emptier and MMA gyms are popping up everywhere so give it ~10 years and the average level of skill in MMA might (probably) be higher than in boxing. If we were talking about who would win in a "real" fight, then boxers would be severely outclassed by mediocre MMA practitioners but that's just common sense.

In regards to the thread: Ok. Thanks for explaining that someone who practices one thing only, is better than the guy who practices many things. Very insightful, I wonder why no one thought of this before.

Why is a real boxer able to outclass a fighter like McGregor? Is boxing more highly-skilled compared to MMA, where it is a brawl?

An insightful answer to a two-part question from Quora.com. Thought Sherdoggers would enjoy it as much as I did:

"Hunter Moore

So you take two people. One of them spends 30 years drawing nothing but circles. The other one spends those 30 years drawing circles, squares, triangles, hexagons, octagons, pentagons, stars, ovals, and dodecagons.

Then you put those two people together in a room and make them draw the best circle they can.

Chances are the guy who has drawn nothing but circles will draw the better circle. He’s had more practice, circles are his thing.

But if you ask him to draw all those things the other guy has drawn as well as a circle, he wouldn’t do nearly as well.

So the reason McGregor is outclassed in boxing by a boxer, is because the boxer has done nothing but boxing, while McGregor has been doing wrestling and jujitsu and muay thai. He’s used to fighting in a completely different way.

Chances are, the world’s best boxer will always be a better boxer than the world’s best MMA fighter when it comes to boxing. Otherwise he wouldn’t be the best boxer, would he?

But the idea that MMA is a brawl is wrong. While some MMA fights can be brawls, the same can be said for boxing matches.

Neither is really more skill based than the other, the skills needed are just very different.

An MMA fighter needs to be able juggle all these different methods of fighting. Punches, kicks, elbows, grappling, submissions, etc. They can’t focus entirely on just one or their opponents can exploit their lack of experience in the other.

Meanwhile, a boxer only has to focus on punches. But they also need to potentially fight for much longer, hit harder to make up for thicker gloves, deal with a much tougher defense also due to the bigger gloves, and various other details that MMA fighters don’t deal with.

Just because the guy drawing nothing but circles draws better circles than the guy who also draws squares doesn’t mean drawing squares is inferior to drawing circles. They’re two different shapes. Boxing and MMA are two different sports.
"

Fuck Circles..

..levels is where its at

Wrong. Boxing is an olympic sport with a deep talent pool ... there are state-sponsored programs which weed out bad talent since day one. Not only that but the pay is way higher, luring in A-level athletes. Top boxers are much more talented than top MMA fighters, this is factual. MMA is entertaining but the sport aspect of it is still very weak.

That's correct, boxing has a filtering process that weeds out shitty fighter. In UFCs case they are usually tuf contestants who lack technique, class and discipline.

Kind of a bad look for the UFC and MMA in general.

meh i dont like the analogy. if it said the boxer draws "squares" and the mma fighter draws "octagons" and they take different skills to learn, then sure i'd agree. but the mma fighter doesnt ever draw "squares", he doesnt box. he might punch in an mma fight but punching isnt boxing. that being said, i think boxers are better at drawing "squares" than mma fighters are at drawing "octagons" because the sport existed and evolved for much longer and a lot more people practice it around the world.

This is absolutely correct, but it shouldn't need to be broken down like it's being taught to a class of third graders.

Sadly it needs to be for some grown adults.

I had to look it up, so for anyone else wondering, a dodecagon is a twelve sided figure.

Pretty much true, currently boxing is deeper and always has been historically. The average level of talent is higher than in MMA, I don't think anyone thinks otherwise. However, from what I've seen lots of boxing gyms are looking emptier and MMA gyms are popping up everywhere so give it ~10 years and the average level of skill in MMA might (probably) be higher than in boxing. If we were talking about who would win in a "real" fight, then boxers would be severely outclassed by mediocre MMA practitioners but that's just common sense.

In regards to the thread: Ok. Thanks for explaining that someone who practices one thing only, is better than the guy who practices many things. Very insightful, I wonder why no one thought of this before.

Maybe in America but worldwide boxing is still bigger. Outside of USA and Brazil, MMA is not very famous, in some places it is even frowned upon( France for example). The fact that boxing is an Olympic sport makes the talent pool much deeper

Last edited:
I think the greatest fighters in boxing are among the most impressive sportsmen on Earth. Their mastery of their trade is just on an insane level. I feel boxers have attained a much higher level of skill in their sport than MMA fighters do, mostly because MMA fighters do not just train one specific thing, but a mixture, but perhaps also because MMA has only really become a popular sport recently, and the pay difference etc.

Like watching Demian Maia, it's a real spectacle to watch his BJJ dominance and the skill gap in grappling between him and his opponents in the octagon.

Maybe in America but worldwide boxing is still bigger. Outside of USA and Brazil, MMA is not very famous, in some places it is even frowned upon( France for example). The fact that boxing is an Olympic sport make the talent pool much deeper

100 percent correct and to add to that, boxing is a poor man's sport that attracts people that are serious about the sport. Also the boxing gyms are inexpensive and local fights are not glamorous like it's some strip club.

Meanwhile MMA training is expensive as fuck and lots of times the trainers are some meathead who was a roided out brawler who competed in Thai kickboxing and Bjj.

At least that's the case in my hometown. But then rogan mentioned that there are lots of MMA trainers like that...

Thanks I really needed this explained to me, can we do paint by numbers next?

I can be a bit more succinct:

" Floyd beats Conor in a boxing match and Conor beats Floyd in an MMA match"
I doubt that McGregor beats Floyd as convincingly in a MMA fight, if and only if, Floyd is motivated to fight MMA.

Listen to McGregor's post-fight analysis, he recognized that Floyd used some techniques that could easily work in MMA. So, Floyd is not that far off from being a MMA fighter who can challenge McGregor in MMA.

Would Floyd beat a Kevin Lee in MMA? I would even consider betting on Floyd, because Kevin Lee will shoot, take him down, and apply the RNC. That is Kevin's fighting pattern.

This is not how McGregor fights. MMA fans using other fighters' fighting patterns to predict Mayweather vs McGregor in MMA is inaccurate.

Look at the way McGregor has fought thus far in the UFC, Floyd will have a better chance of beating McGregor in MMA than McGregor had of beating him in boxing.

Just my opinion, based on McGregor's fighting style. McGregor is not Randy Couture.

Or ...
"Floyd beats Conor in a boxing match and Conor beats Floyd in every other combat sport"
I would actually love to see this.

Floyd v Conor in MMA, Conor wins. One win each.

But what about Muay Thai, Judo, Wrestling (freestyle, Greco-roman and the other one), Karate, Jiu Jitsu, Capoeira, Taekwondo, Arm Wrestling, Sumo, Leg Wrestling, Kung Fu.

Basically there's are more than just two combat sports, and in ANY except Marquis of Queensbury rules I'd put my money on the Irishman.

I would actually love to see this.

Floyd v Conor in MMA, Conor wins. One win each.

But what about Muay Thai, Judo, Wrestling (freestyle, Greco-roman and the other one), Karate, Jiu Jitsu, Capoeira, Taekwondo, Arm Wrestling, Sumo, Leg Wrestling, Kung Fu.

Basically there's are more than just two combat sports, and in ANY except Marquis of Queensbury rules I'd put my money on the Irishman.
As would I.

This was just an elaborate way of saying boxers have more practice boxing? You could have just said that, bro.

I doubt that McGregor beats Floyd as convincingly in a MMA fight, if and only if, Floyd is motivated to fight MMA.

Listen to McGregor's post-fight analysis, he recognized that Floyd used some techniques that could easily work in MMA. So, Floyd is not that far off from being a MMA fighter who can challenge McGregor in MMA.

Would Floyd beat a Kevin Lee in MMA? I would even consider betting on Floyd, because Kevin Lee will shoot, take him down, and apply the RNC. That is Kevin's fighting pattern.

This is not how McGregor fights. MMA fans using other fighters' fighting patterns to predict Mayweather vs McGregor in MMA is inaccurate.

Look at the way McGregor has fought thus far in the UFC, Floyd will have a better chance of beating McGregor in MMA than McGregor had of beating him in boxing.

Just my opinion, based on McGregor's fighting style. McGregor is not Randy Couture.

I hear what you're saying, but you are seriously underestimating the level of grappling that any successful UFC fighter has.

McGregor fights people like that because it caters to his strength and exploits his opponents' weaknesses. Not because he couldn't ragdoll someone who's never grappled in their entire life.

I have cousins in their young teens who could toss around full grown adults easily. Grappling is not something you can really 'catch up' in if you haven't been doing it a long, long time.

except the guy drawing all the different shapes would never be as good at drawing circles even if that's all he did. Everyone is not created equal. Conor would never be a world class boxer even if that's what he'd been doing his entire life.

Mayweather is the best boxer, don't assume any real boxer could outclass Conor, since he fared as well as many real, top boxers Mayweather has faced. Your statement is based on a false premise.

I doubt that McGregor beats Floyd as convincingly in a MMA fight, if and only if, Floyd is motivated to fight MMA . . .

There's no way Floyd lasts 25 minutes grappling with McGregor. I doubt he'd last a minute.

Back