"Why is a real boxer able to outclass a fighter like McGregor? Boxing More Skilled & is MMA a Brawl?

RichyN

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Why is a real boxer able to outclass a fighter like McGregor? Is boxing more highly-skilled compared to MMA, where it is a brawl?

An insightful answer to a two-part question from Quora.com. Thought Sherdoggers would enjoy it as much as I did:

"Hunter Moore

So you take two people. One of them spends 30 years drawing nothing but circles. The other one spends those 30 years drawing circles, squares, triangles, hexagons, octagons, pentagons, stars, ovals, and dodecagons.

Then you put those two people together in a room and make them draw the best circle they can.

Chances are the guy who has drawn nothing but circles will draw the better circle. He’s had more practice, circles are his thing.

But if you ask him to draw all those things the other guy has drawn as well as a circle, he wouldn’t do nearly as well.

So the reason McGregor is outclassed in boxing by a boxer, is because the boxer has done nothing but boxing, while McGregor has been doing wrestling and jujitsu and muay thai. He’s used to fighting in a completely different way.

Chances are, the world’s best boxer will always be a better boxer than the world’s best MMA fighter when it comes to boxing. Otherwise he wouldn’t be the best boxer, would he?

But the idea that MMA is a brawl is wrong. While some MMA fights can be brawls, the same can be said for boxing matches.

Neither is really more skill based than the other, the skills needed are just very different.

An MMA fighter needs to be able juggle all these different methods of fighting. Punches, kicks, elbows, grappling, submissions, etc. They can’t focus entirely on just one or their opponents can exploit their lack of experience in the other.

Meanwhile, a boxer only has to focus on punches. But they also need to potentially fight for much longer, hit harder to make up for thicker gloves, deal with a much tougher defense also due to the bigger gloves, and various other details that MMA fighters don’t deal with.

Just because the guy drawing nothing but circles draws better circles than the guy who also draws squares doesn’t mean drawing squares is inferior to drawing circles. They’re two different shapes. Boxing and MMA are two different sports.
"

I don't have Time for this shit....

I can be a bit more succinct:

" Floyd beats Conor in a boxing match and Conor beats Floyd in an MMA match"

Why is a real boxer able to outclass a fighter like McGregor? Is boxing more highly-skilled compared to MMA, where it is a brawl?

An insightful answer to a two-part question from Quora.com. Thought Sherdoggers would enjoy it as much as I did:

"Hunter Moore

So you take two people. One of them spends 30 years drawing nothing but circles. The other one spends those 30 years drawing circles, squares, triangles, hexagons, octagons, pentagons, stars, ovals, and dodecagons.

Then you put those two people together in a room and make them draw the best circle they can.

Chances are the guy who has drawn nothing but circles will draw the better circle. He’s had more practice, circles are his thing.

But if you ask him to draw all those things the other guy has drawn as well as a circle, he wouldn’t do nearly as well.

So the reason McGregor is outclassed in boxing by a boxer, is because the boxer has done nothing but boxing, while McGregor has been doing wrestling and jujitsu and muay thai. He’s used to fighting in a completely different way.

Chances are, the world’s best boxer will always be a better boxer than the world’s best MMA fighter when it comes to boxing. Otherwise he wouldn’t be the best boxer, would he?

But the idea that MMA is a brawl is wrong. While some MMA fights can be brawls, the same can be said for boxing matches.

Neither is really more skill based than the other, the skills needed are just very different.

An MMA fighter needs to be able juggle all these different methods of fighting. Punches, kicks, elbows, grappling, submissions, etc. They can’t focus entirely on just one or their opponents can exploit their lack of experience in the other.

Meanwhile, a boxer only has to focus on punches. But they also need to potentially fight for much longer, hit harder to make up for thicker gloves, deal with a much tougher defense also due to the bigger gloves, and various other details that MMA fighters don’t deal with.

Just because the guy drawing nothing but circles draws better circles than the guy who also draws squares doesn’t mean drawing squares is inferior to drawing circles. They’re two different shapes. Boxing and MMA are two different sports.
"
<Deported1>

I approve

But its old news, we already know this

I did like the circles analogy though

Mayweather is an A-level athlete while Colin is a D-level plumbing club fighter.

Thing is McGregor isn't even a wrestler or jiuj jitsu guy. He's practically a boxer in his UFC fights. His flashy kicks don't even land.

This argument would work if we were talking about someone like GSP or Khabib.

Wrong. Boxing is an olympic sport with a deep talent pool ... there are state-sponsored programs which weed out bad talent since day one. Not only that but the pay is way higher, luring in A-level athletes. Top boxers are much more talented than top MMA fighters, this is factual. MMA is entertaining but the sport aspect of it is still very weak.

I approve

But its old news, we already know this

I did like the circles analogy though

Yeah, I think we all should know whats up. But the analogy was beautifully written.

Last edited:
Thing is McGregor isn't even a wrestler or jiuj jitsu guy. He's practically a boxer in his UFC fights. His flashy kicks don't even land.

This argument would work if we were talking about someone like GSP or Khabib.

He's a boxer who focuses a lot of his time on the other arts. If he was "practically" a boxer he would be taken down and strangled, but obviously he doesn't train strictly boxing like Mayweather does. When you strictly train one of the arts, amazingly, you get better than a guy spending less time training that art...

<{Joewithit}>

You mean why is a real boxer able to outbox a fighter like McGregor?
The answer is because the boxer has more experience in boxing.
Same reason a fighter like McGregor is able to murder most (if not all) boxers his weight in a fight.

So you are telling me a professional boxer is better than a non professional boxer?

In order to become a master of the ancient art of circle drawing, one must draw nothing but circles. It's like Bruce Lee once famously said;
“I fear not the man who has drawn 10,000 shapes once, but I fear the man who had drawn one circle 10,000 times.”
You know that circle will be the most badass circle ever drawn in the history of man, as opposed to all of those mediocre shapes.

In order to become a master of the ancient art of circle drawing, one must draw nothing but circles. It's like Bruce Lee once famously said;
“I fear not the man who has drawn 10,000 shapes once, but I fear the man who had drawn one circle 10,000 times.”
You know that circle will be the most badass circle ever drawn in the history of man, as opposed to all of those mediocre shapes.

contestant: "please make this a circle drawing contest, please make this a circle drawing contest..."

moderator: "ok contestants - draw a triangle"

contestant - "doh!"

Back