Why is 28 Days later so special?

unlike most zombie flicks i felt that 28 days later was serious thoughout the movie with no cringy comic relief and splatter scenes that sortof takes away the dread and hoplesness that this movie provides

First off, I'm a big time horror film fan, probably the biggest in this forum. .

And a zombie film fanatic as well...

Personally I believe the original Dawn of the Dead is the greatest zombie film of all time, (Train to Busan is also one of the greatest , especially if youre korean, youll get the social commentary, god damn what a beautiful film )especially with its dark filming , allegories and symbolism..

That being said, I encounter so many people who claim 28 days later to be the greatest zombie film of all time (let's set aside the debate of whether they were true zombies ).

When I first watched this film I was incredibly underwhelmed ...

I thought I missed something ...so I watched it again. ( and of course, I watch all horror films at night ). Again, I wasn't wowed like so many .

It's similar to Spider-Man 2, so many consider this to be one of the greatest comic book films ever...i disagree.

Tell me what I'm missing, why do you consider 28 days later to be one of the best of its genre .

All opinions welcome.

I completely agree. 28 Days Later has always been grossly overrated. My favorite is the original Night of the Living Dead. I have never seen the original Dawn of the Dead, but even the remake of Dawn of the Dead was a better film than 28 Days Later.

Another honorable mention is Return of the Living Dead. That is a classic.

I agree with those that are saying 28 Weeks later was a better movie

Came out before the Zombie theme got totally over played. So while there were a few classics out there it was still pretty original. But now Zombies have been done so much they boring.

We can all thank AMC for killing it off. Zombie genre had a hard death by the start of the 90's and the genre was so tainted that it wasn't until 28 Days Later revived it by using infected variation of them

images

See here is why I don’t understand people’s opinions. Another silly Korean movie gets praise. Just like The Host and Snowpiercer, which both sucked. Busan was better, but again with the silly buffoonery and overacting. 28 days later had the scariest monsters, they ran and were vicious AF. The setting was cool, as was the cast. It was a slow burn, but in an apocalyptic environment, that’s how it would be. I thought it was great. And I don’t hate foreign horror...love Rec and Ringu.

Inspired by this thread I watched Train To Busan last night as I never heard of it. It kept my interest and I liked the general plot but I thought the accolades on here were over the top. I wasn't expecting the buffoonery reading some of the comments.

I like the beginning half of 28 days later. It's a solid movie but I wouldn't say it has a cult following or a special movie in the zombie genre.

Just finished a new fast zombie movie. A French one called “Ravenous”. I don’t think it was that bad, although they weren’t very clear on the “rules” of why the zombies act the way they do.

It’s on Netflix.

I think having it set in London was a refreshing change too. Not like an American setting where there are guns available for the main characters to get. Most American settings you have a plethora of guns available to combat zombies.

Instead we had the claustrophobic narrow streets and tunnels of London and no guns. Made it very unique and a refreshing change of pace from zombie movies with characters gunning down hordes of zombies.

I thought it was good for about an hour and then kind of went to shit after that, like every Danny Boyle film I've seen.

The Beyond is prob my favourite ever zombie flick

Definitely one of the greatest scores in horror. Fabio is a genius.

As far as Zombie films and Fulci, I have to say Zombi is my favorite from him. In my top 3. I always found the island setting so creepy. I wish it was used more in zombie and horror films in general.

<{1-69}>

C'mon now, Mike. It's right up there.

Gritty, Hopeless, Amazingly brutal effects(probably the best effects in Zombie film history). I think Bub is the first time we get a zombie that isn't just a walking slab of rotting flesh.

<{1-69}>

Gritty, Hopeless, Amazingly brutal effects(probably the best effects in Zombie film history). I think Bub is the first time we get a zombie that isn't just a walking slab of rotting flesh.

I didn't like Day of the Dead, but Cpt Rhodes is one of the most badass heels in movie history

<{1-69}>

I hate, hate, hate, the idea of talking zombies. It's stupid and it always makes the movie feel comedic, whether that's the intention or not.

They went overboard with the grimdark bullshit with pretty much the entire military side being cartoon caricatures of real people.

The main chick is in a relationship with that dude according to the story, but she doesn't act like it at all. He dies and she basically.gives zero fucks. She's also a super bland lead with zero charisma. Who gives a fuck if she dies. I kept hoping she would, that everyone in the movie would die even the protagonists.

The action scenes suck and are gory purely for the sake of gore because.there aren't any interesting ideas going on.

That's just off the top of my head. I really hate that movie. Easily the worst of the Romero trilogy

I hate, hate, hate, the idea of talking zombies. It's stupid and it always makes the movie feel comedic, whether that's the intention or not.

They went overboard with the grimdark bullshit with pretty much the entire military side being cartoon caricatures of real people.

The main chick is in a relationship with that dude according to the story, but she doesn't act like it at all. He dies and she basically.gives zero fucks. She's also a super bland lead with zero charisma. Who gives a fuck if she dies. I kept hoping she would, that everyone in the movie would die even the protagonists.

The action scenes suck and are gory purely for the sake of gore because.there aren't any interesting ideas going on.

That's just off the top of my head. I really hate that movie. Easily the worst of the Romero trilogy

Lol I'm guessing you're not a fan of one of my favorites in Return of the Living Dead.

The story definitely wasn't the best but I got what it was telling. In defense of the story, it was suppose to be a lot more in depth but George had to cut HUGE amounts out of the script for it to be made. I'm not saying it would have been better but I enjoy it for what it is.

First off, I'm a big time horror film fan, probably the biggest in this forum. .

And a zombie film fanatic as well...

Personally I believe the original Dawn of the Dead is the greatest zombie film of all time, (Train to Busan is also one of the greatest , especially if youre korean, youll get the social commentary, god damn what a beautiful film )especially with its dark filming , allegories and symbolism..

That being said, I encounter so many people who claim 28 days later to be the greatest zombie film of all time (let's set aside the debate of whether they were true zombies ).

When I first watched this film I was incredibly underwhelmed ...

I thought I missed something ...so I watched it again. ( and of course, I watch all horror films at night ). Again, I wasn't wowed like so many .

It's similar to Spider-Man 2, so many consider this to be one of the greatest comic book films ever...i disagree.

Tell me what I'm missing, why do you consider 28 days later to be one of the best of its genre .

All opinions welcome.
Zombies are hella fast. Cilian is dead ass. Story is pretty good.

The last third of the movie is weak but is influence is undeniable.

-Fast zombies influenced basically all later zombie films.
-The original protagonist falls in to a coma and wakes in the middle of a zombie apocalypse was used in walking dead.

I'm more offended you think Spiderman 2 is overrated..........

Anyway, I think the thing with 28 days later is that it breathed new life into the zombie genre, and was something slightly original/unique.

As I recall, it changed the portrayal of zombies from lumbering oafs into something more relatable, realistic and terrifying, in the terrifying form of them being able to run at you full pelt - they basically had the physical capabilities of humans - could run fast, agile etc - but had a brain eating bloodlust, and therefore were a scarier, bigger threat than classic zombies.

It was revelatory, I guess

The zombie genre had fallen too much in to campyness /comedy /black humor because of the limitation of zombies and 28 days later did brough back zombies as scary foes.

Return series, brain dead, evil dead series (technically not zombies), bits in Dawn and Day (like the pie fight) all of those films pretty much used zombies for comedy effects, it was like NOTLD (and the remake) were the only serius films for a while (some of Fulci films and other italian films were also played straight but the bad effects and plots mades them campy).

I agree with those that are saying 28 Weeks later was a better movie

This is becoming a common opinion in the thread.

Could you add a poll?

Just like the Alien/Aliens poll is interesting, this one would be as interesting.

Back