Why I am now Libertarian (New Alternative Political Ideology)

I didn't realize that this was a "new alternative"

Of course 80 percent of the people claiming to be libertarians really have no clue what that actually means.

Returning power to the people also means allowing a true free market and allowing the power for people to make or break or break shitty corporations and businesses by the choices they make, instead of voting in a system that we currently have where the lobbies are in bed with Federal politicians that perpetuate oligarchies.

This isn't about tax cuts for the rich.. it's about tax cuts for everyone and eliminating waste on the Federal level. Maybe we wouldn't to be so concerned with taxing rich or over taxing anyone if we started cutting military spending and eliminated the War on Drugs, the War on Terror, etc.. released non violent offenders from prisons, etc. Privatizing SS would also be a great start too. If anything, the middle class are the ones getting hit the hardest because of the tax system we have.... we have a shitty tax code that allows the wealthy to write off too much and the lower class basically pays nothing because of the earned income tax credit. What does that leave the people paying in the 25 to 28 percent bracket?

Sounds more like either a deliberate troll making fun of right-wing libertarians or someone copying and pasting really out-of-touch marketing material.
Pretty regular troll in the heavies. I'm familiar with him due to his Mark Hunt bashing.
Few if any redeeming qualities.

Returning power to the people also means allowing a true free market and allowing the power for people to make or break or break shitty corporations and businesses by the choices they make, instead of voting in a system that we currently have where the lobbies are in bed with Federal politicians that perpetuate oligarchies.

The natural workings of a market system perpetuate oligarchies. The reason most are not libertarians is that people want non-rich people to have freedom.

This isn't about tax cuts for the rich.. it's about tax cuts for everyone and eliminating waste on the Federal level. Maybe we wouldn't to be so concerned with taxing rich or over taxing anyone if we started cutting military spending and eliminated the War on Drugs, the War on Terror, etc.. released non violent offenders from prisons, etc. Privatizing SS would also be a great start too. If anything, the middle class are the ones getting hit the hardest because of the tax system we have.... we have a shitty tax code that allows the wealthy to write off too much and the lower class basically pays nothing because of the earned income tax credit. What does that leave the people paying in the 25 to 28 percent bracket?

The median American barely pays any income tax (I think--gotta double check this--about three-quarters of Americans pay more in payroll taxes than federal income taxes). But the wealthy do pay higher rates, and the net effect of cutting spending and income taxation (or taxes on capital--lots of libertarians oppose that altogether) would be to make everyone who isn't rich poorer and to make the very rich richer--and probably to make the overall pie smaller.

Pretty regular troll in the heavies. I'm familiar with him due to his Mark Hunt bashing.
Few if any redeeming qualities.

A Mark Hunt basher?! 'Nuff said.

Libertarianism is wonderful for college students who like personal freedom, hate the government and have no fucking clue how the real world works. I've been there. Then I grew up.

lol

This. I feel like most American males are Libertarians at some point. I was one in high school. It's just a painfully simplistic quasi-ideology that begins consuming itself about two pages into a 20th century history book.

I think we're going to have to make a new rule about bumping Steven Seagold threads...

Yeah, the real message of the Matrix is that we give tax cuts to rich people, workers should be more obedient, and we should allow more pollution.

Right-wing "libertarianism" was invented in the 1950s by business lobbyists, and it shows. Their marketing material suggests an inability to relate to young people and an assumption that they're all idiots. "Be young, have fun, drink Pepsi, and eviscerate the proletariat."

You talking about the 60's hippies ? peace and love peace and love !

Steven Seagold was banned????

Nobody invited me to the party....

Seriously fuck all you guys!

Weird how people act as if Libertarianism is absolutely no government

States can do whatever they want barring infringing on citizens rights. California can have a MW of 20/hr while Nevada can set it at 5/hr.

I love how people from both side shit on Libertarians while we go the way of Rome.

"One of the more pretentious political self-descriptions is libertarian. People think it puts them above the fray. It sounds fashionable, and to the uninitiated, faintly dangerous. Actually, it's just one more bullshit political philosophy."

--George Carlin

Roses are red,
Taxation is theft,
Finish this poem your damn self,
you dependent parasite statist.

Last edited:
Weird how people act as if Libertarianism is absolutely no government

States can do whatever they want barring infringing on citizens rights. California can have a MW of 20/hr while Nevada can set it at 5/hr.

I love how people from both side shit on Libertarians while we go the way of Rome.

You don't seem to know what libertarianism is....

What you're talking about is federalism, i.e. every state can make its own policy consistent with the US constitution

"One of the more pretentious political self-descriptions is libertarian. People think it puts them above the fray. It sounds fashionable, and to the uninitiated, faintly dangerous. Actually, it's just one more bullshit political philosophy."

--George Carlin

Actually tame for him

You don't seem to know what libertarianism is....

What you're talking about is federalism, i.e. every state can make its own policy consistent with the US constitution

Libertarians believe states can govern themselves. As long as it does not infringe on people's rights. Libertarianism is not absence of states rights

Federal government FORCING the states to do anything outside the constitution would be the exact opposite of libertarianism

Last edited:
For instance, a state can impose taxes or a minimum wage. But can not tell you who to worship, who you can have sex with or take your guns away.

A libertarian foreign policy alone would have us in a much better place

Libertarians believe states can govern themselves. As long as it does not infringe on people's rights. Libertarianism is not absence of states rights

Again, that's federalism. I'm not saying that I necessarily disagree with it, but it's federalism. If you were to expand the definition of "libertarianism" to include all of its colloquial usages across the international community (for instance libertarianism in much of Europe is distinctly left-leaning, while here in the US it's right-leaning), its lowest common denomination might well end up reflecting some inoffensive anti-authoritarian federalism, but in United State usage, and in the way that the TS is using it, it's right-libertarianism, which stresses freedom of contract, freedom from regulation, and strict adherence to market distribution in rejection of things like social democracy, demand-side capitalism, and welfare states.

Again, that's federalism. I'm not saying that I necessarily disagree with it, but it's federalism. If you were to expand the definition of "libertarianism" to include all of its colloquial usages across the international community (for instance libertarianism in much of Europe is distinctly left-leaning, while here in the US it's right-leaning), its lowest common denomination might well end up reflecting some inoffensive anti-authoritarian federalism, but in United State usage, and in the way that the TS is using it, it's right-libertarianism, which stresses freedom of contract, freedom from regulation, and strict adherence to market distribution in rejection of things like social democracy, demand-side capitalism, and welfare states.

Dude. Read what I write here

You are saying a libertarian Government would FORCE things on states. You are wrong.

A libertarian president would NOT demand all states abolish all state laws and replace them with an all encompassing libertarian rule.

The libertarian party is completely fine with states rights. It just does not believe the federal government should dictate to the states.

What you are saying is that a libertarian federal government would be an authoritarian federal government and run all power through the federal

A libertarian fed gov would have no problem with a state setting up a nice big welfare program within the state for instance.

I understand you are arguing the original ideology of libertarianism. But all ideology transforms to varying degrees

Last edited:
Libertarianism, or atleast pure libertarianism, much like communism, works wonderful on paper and in theory. The minute you apply it to a large scale population, it falls apart due to corruption and antiregulation. Then again, I suppose true capitalism and libertariansim go hand in hand, as no regulation and a pro-monopoly society are tenets. We could in theory have real libertariansim, but with a much less generally happy populace.

interesting. ive never heard of this new alternative called libertarianism before.

on a less sarcastic note, libertarians are the current "cool crowd" it seems. like being an "independent" is. even though, a good chunk of the people who claim to be those things.....arent. they just wish they were.

I guess you're part of the dark side of the force, brah.

Back