Why/ how did Werdum peak so late?

He didn't reach the top until he was in his late 30s.

But he's been around forever. He's been fighting since 2002. 15 years. I remember him fighting back in PRIDE and he was good but nothing special then. A career like his is very unique!
Everything is relative. Werdum has "peaked" because the talent pool in heavyweight is very shallow. You don't see 40 year olds competing at the top of the lower weight classes.

We can see Werdum's improvements because of the shallow talent pool. If the division was stacked with young skilled and talented HW's, who look like Francis Ngannou, Werdum would have gotten lost in the shuffle, and this thread would have been calling for his retirement. LOL

Because Werdum is a technical guy, he never relied on his physical abilities to win fights.

My opinion is that a fighter that relies mostly on his speed/reflexes/power/chin will decline faster, because those abilities will fade with age.

However a fighter that relies mostly on technique will not decline as much, plus Werdum didn't take a lot of damages in his career and didn't have a lot of injuries.

Hilarious how Fedor fans cry at how Fedor was just old when Fedor TAPPED, when Werdum and him are basically the same age.

Hilarious how Fedor fans cry at how Fedor was just old when Fedor TAPPED, when Werdum and him are basically the same age.
what is hilarious is that u dont know the meaning of the word "prime"

lol.png

what is hilarious is that u dont know the meaning of the word "prime"

View attachment 312155
fedortap.gif

Which fight id love to watch, thanks for sharing

His fight against Overeem in Pirde. Also He threw that same kind of kick early in his career in Jungle fights. It's probably against Napo, but I might be wrong.

His fight against Overeem in Pirde. Also He threw that same kind of kick early in his career in Jungle fights. It's probably against Napo, but I might be wrong.
hmm...was it the Overeem or Kharitonov fight? Confused now...

His striking improvement is actually slight. Enough to make a difference but not night/day.

Most of the difference is the hw division and his bad losses.

Nog was a beast. And so much better than Werdum that it made Werdum look 2nd tier. Prime Nog is probably ufc hw champ in 2018.

Werdum lacked confidence against Sergei. Was afraid to strike with him so he looked worse than his skill set.

He didn't reach the top until he was in his late 30s.

But he's been around forever. He's been fighting since 2002. 15 years. I remember him fighting back in PRIDE and he was good but nothing special then. A career like his is very unique!
He is slower, weaker And older than in his prime. His competition just got weaker.

Back