Opinion Why healthcare in US is so expensive?

Panmisiek

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ok, Ok, I already see people posting '...how much you value your life...'

But I am talking in perspective of healthcare cost around the world on most common surgeries out there not multi-million complicated operations removing some weird cyst or other crap you can see on youtube.

When I hear someone in US getting bitten by a snake and injected antitoxin will cost him as much as he would earn in 40 years it simply blows my mind. Live to pay???

Again, I know, I know '...how much you value your life...' but the same treatment elsewhere would be covered by your $100 a month taxes such as in Europe.

But again I know shit about US healthcare so I am asking a question to my audience.

Can you justify some of the costs if you are uninsured? They seem to be inflated to me.

because it's a for-profit business here and not treated like a necessary utility

because it's a for-profit business here and not treated like a necessary utility

I think people in US should have a choice. 80% of population would do just good on regular public hospitals dealing with easy surgeries, broken bones, cancers, diabetes etc which would sustain even on mere $100 off your wage.

When you pay $300-600 that must cover everything even when you get bite by intergalactic bug travelling through time or even if you get ebola or develop said cyst in your brain. But then how likely is that scenario?

Because the EMTALA resulted in a widespread cost-shifting chain reaction

My recent spat with Healthcare has been frustration that I can't at all see what something costs before "buying"

My sinuses have been clogged for two weeks and finally decided to go into a walk in clinic. I used to know this was a $40 Co pay but now I have a shitty insurance at new job that's lower cost, extremely high deductible, and then the no tax medical savings account.

Anyways, I called 3 clinics around here with my insurance card to ask how much a simple visit would be to get a antibiotic prescription for a sinus infection. None of them could tell me a cost! And I have no way of knowing, or comparing which clinic is the most cost friendly for easy little stuff. So I just have to wait for a bill to come in the mail that could be 30, 80, or 600+ bucks for all I know.

Meds were 15 for the generic at Walgreens, so prescription plan is alright at least

Because we basically pay for the rest of the worlds R&D in medicine. Also medical costs are basically exchanged behind closed doors in almost all cases with insurance and medicare.

Its big business. Doctors want to get paid and get paid bigly. There is nothing wrong with that. But most developed countries feel that the health of their citizens is important and have taken steps years ago to ensure people are not turned away from hospitals etc because they cant afford getting sick. They also feel that levels of healthcare should still be adequate. Some countries donit better than others. In the US, it has been so political, that poor people have been convinced that they dont need universal healthcare, so they keep voting in people who keep the costs high for them.

A few months ago there was a thread on this. It came down to the US to Canada comparison.

Wait a day or two and pay for healthcare - US

Wait a month or three (or more) for free - Canada

It’s all a matter of preference I guess.

It's not expensive, it's profitable. Shift your perspective bro.

It's akin to how undervalued education is in the USA.

The fact that you even researched it lets me know you're a racist.

I didn't have to research shit. That's widely known.

You treat the individual. Different populations of people have different predispositions for illnesses. The same is true for the different sexes.

Because hospitals/clinics are for-profit and the amount of money that Doctors have to pay to get their degrees, they expect to earn back quickly in their profession.

This is why I think healthcare should be part of our tax system. It wouldn't eliminate private care but it would ensure your average person could afford and get care by paying into the tax system.

About 10 years ago, I broke my ankle and drove myself to the ER. I walked out with a $3000 bill for using the ER and that was after insurance. You have to pretty much hope that you never get hurt or majorly sick in the US. It's the end of you financially.

I didn't have to research shit. That's widely known.

You treat the individual. Different populations of people have different predispositions for illnesses. The same is true for the different sexes.

I know you're a cowardly enthnostater, you don't need to lie to me.

Back