Why head Moo-Ment doesn’t always work in MMA

Rebel_LioN

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score

Ross Pearson is an exceptionally skilled boxer with great head-movement. Once he got into the pocket though he runs straight into a knee.

Maximo-Blanco-vs.-Daniel-Hooker-11.gif

Here, Hooker fakes the left-cross and anticipates the slip and fires off the headkick.

Hooker faces Marc Diakiese on UFC 219.

Edmond says

YOU WRONG.

He can make you world champ.

HEAD MOVEMENT. HEAD MOVEMENT. HEAD MOVEMENT.

Hooker is an interesting guy with a mixed record. In the two fights shown there, he lands the respective KO’s in both stances.

"Ross Pearson is an exceptionally skilled boxer"

{<jordan}
Why you laughing bruuuuh? That's a legit statement. He's been around for a long time and his boxing has always been excellent. Don't judge his losses by his boxing. It is MMA afterall.

Hooker needs to have a better nickname. Maybe “Dirty” or “Pirate” or high-class”. His striking is good though.

I think the force of Pearson slamming his head down into Hooker’s knee was probably as much as the force of Hooker bringing that knee up.
"Ross Pearson is an exceptionally skilled boxer"

{<jordan}
I don’t know about “exceptional”, but Pearson is indeed a very good boxer by MMA standards.

Nothing laughable there.
Hooker needs to have a better nickname. Maybe “Dirty” or “Pirate” or high-class”. His striking is good though.
“Pirate”...? I don’t get it, it that a pirate hook hand joke

I think the force of Pearson slamming his head down into Hooker’s knee was probably as much as the force of Hooker bringing that knee up.

I don’t know about “exceptional”, but Pearson is indeed a very good boxer by MMA standards.

Nothing laughable there.

“Pirate”...? I don’t get it, it that a pirate hook hand joke

“Smelly Pirate Hooker” is what Will Ferrell called Christina Applegate in “Anchorman”.

Its why you see far less bobbing and weaving in kickboxing/MT relative to boxing, knees can catch someone with there head low and kicks unlike most punches can sweep across a wide area. Not to mention of course the potential for low and mid kicks attacking someone with planted feet to allow for head/bobby body movement.

It is not enough to move, you also need to consider the direction of the movement.

It is the same as saying "hard work pays," well, if you are working hard in the wrong direction, I will bet that you end up broke.

You have to make moves, but in the right direction. End of lesson.

Absolutely. It must be used sparingly against a fighter with good kicks and knees. The rhythm must be changed over and over, mixed in with solid blocking, parries and footwork sonas not to become predictable.

I like watching Hooker fight. I can't wait to see him and Diakese go at it.

53166_o.gif

Here we see Cro Cop snap a few jabs at Hunt to get him worried about straight punches. Hunt slips his head to the left and then to the right but Mirko takes a subtle step with his foot to adjust to the appropriate range and angle (while also avoiding Hunt's potential right hand) and surprises Hunt with a round kick. Hunt was expecting straight punches but a kick came in from the other direction.

Last edited:
Points out examples of people moving their head into strikes

Says head movement doesn't work.......

It’s sad you can’t recognize game.

I bet your fat/skinny ass has never ran a mile in your life let alone throw a punch.

I don't know if he is fat or skinny or that he cannot runs, but he is right.

Maywheater, Loma, Roy, Golovkin, Canelo are exceptionally skilled boxers. Not Pearson

Stop exagerating!
No mas Roganisms!

Head movement isn't the issue. Not the whole issue at least. You need good footwork and close off openings instead of relying on reflexes and reading body movement all the time. Head movement works. Just not on Its own. That isn't exclusive to MMA.

These guys just guessed wrong and are way too obvious with what they're going to do. It's like moving your head left and eating a right hook that doesn't mean head movement doesn't work, means the guys doing it are shit at it.

Hooker is an interesting guy with a mixed record. In the two fights shown there, he lands the respective KO’s in both stances.

Yup. An illustration of why wins and losses don't tell the whole story in MMA.

Ross Pearson is an exceptionally skilled boxer with great head-movement. Once he got into the pocket though he runs straight into a knee.

Maximo-Blanco-vs.-Daniel-Hooker-11.gif

Here, Hooker fakes the left-cross and anticipates the slip and fires off the headkick.

Hooker faces Marc Diakiese on UFC 219.

Both of your examples did not show head movements slipping punches that resulted in getting kneed to the head.

Points out examples of people moving their head into strikes

Says head movement doesn't work.......

These guys just guessed wrong and are way too obvious with what they're going to do. It's like moving your head left and eating a right hook that doesn't mean head movement doesn't work, means the guys doing it are shit at it.

Both of your examples did not show head movements slipping punches that resulted in getting kneed to the head.

Why don’t you learn some context before throwing your two cents in then?

Go watch the fight(s)

And I never said head movement is the devil. I’m insinuating it doesn’t always apply.

well no if you move your head in the wrong direction

Back