Why have "animal styles" developed in the East but not in the West?

Hotora86

war in the ring, never outside
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Could not find any obvious answers on the web. Perhaps my "Spider Style" is weak. :p

But seriously, why did the Chinese start imitating animals in a fight? And why did nobody else (in Europe, Americas) do the same?

Discuss!

Could not find any obvious answers on the web. Perhaps my "Spider Style" is weak. :p

But seriously, why did the Chinese start imitating animals in a fight? And why did nobody else (in Europe, Americas) do the same?

Discuss!

Monks got bored easy.

Monks got bored easy.
I bet there were 8th century monks in British monasteries who were like "Hmmm... These viking berserkers come here possessed by wolf and bear spirits. I wonder which animal spirit I should conjure to fight back.", but then the abbot tells them that it's not a Christian thing to do, so they just focus on brewing beer.

Because boxing has been around since forever. Once you learn to throw a punch properly, it is kind of pointless to look towards a bird or a cat for pointers on how to fight.

I mean, that's what I don't get about chop sticks. Didn't they realize how useful a pitch fork is, while they are farming? They aren't farming the land and digging holes with pool cues.

Because boxing has been around since forever. Once you learn to throw a punch properly, it is kind of pointless to look towards a bird or a cat for pointers on how to fight.

I mean, that's what I don't get about chop sticks. Didn't they realize how useful a pitch fork is, while they are farming? They aren't farming the land and digging holes with pool cues.
"You didnt think about the pitch fork?"
"Well...no."
"...just make everything bite sized i guess."

I bet there were 8th century monks in British monasteries who were like "Hmmm... These viking berserkers come here possessed by wolf and bear spirits. I wonder which animal spirit I should conjure to fight back.", but then the abbot tells them that it's not a Christian thing to do, so they just focus on brewing beer.
They only animals seen as "holy" in the bible are the dove and the lamb... not a great choice if you wanna fight wolf-possessed shaman warriors. :D

They only animals seen as "holy" in the bible are the dove and the lamb... not a great choice if you wanna fight wolf-possessed shaman warriors. :D
Don't forget about the lion!

And there the lion's ruddy eyes
Shall flow with tears of gold:
And pitying the tender cries,
And walking round the fold:
Saying: 'Wrath by His meekness,
And, by His health, sickness,
Is driven away
From our immortal day.

'And now beside thee, bleating lamb,
I can lie down and sleep,
Or think on Him who bore thy name,
Graze after thee, and weep.
For, washed in life's river,
My bright mane for ever
Shall shine like the gold,
As I guard o'er the fold.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_(Blake)#Poem

Then again, in Blake's poem the lion only guards lambs in heaven after they have been slain by wolves and tigers, so I'm not sure how it would work out in this case.

Don't forget about the lion!

And there the lion's ruddy eyes
Shall flow with tears of gold:
And pitying the tender cries,
And walking round the fold:
Saying: 'Wrath by His meekness,
And, by His health, sickness,
Is driven away
From our immortal day.

'And now beside thee, bleating lamb,
I can lie down and sleep,
Or think on Him who bore thy name,
Graze after thee, and weep.
For, washed in life's river,
My bright mane for ever
Shall shine like the gold,
As I guard o'er the fold.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_(Blake)#Poem

Then again, in Blake's poem the lion only guards lambs in heaven after they have been slain by wolves and tigers, so I'm not sure how it would work out in this case.
pCA.gif

Could not find any obvious answers on the web. Perhaps my "Spider Style" is weak. :p But seriously, why did the Chinese start imitating animals in a fight?
I have not looked into this, but since in kung fu movies there's sometimes a spirit possession involved I assume it's a taoist shamanic thing. My Spider Style came up with this article: https://www.taiji.net/bagua-history

I have not looked into this, but since in kung fu movies there's sometimes a spirit possession involved I assume it's a taoist shamanic thing. My Spider Style came up with this article: https://www.taiji.net/bagua-history
Interesting. Animals are also part of the Chinese Zodiac, which was developed even earlier and was a common cultural reference. I guess animalistic practices and rituals were natural for China and shunned in Christian Europe, as you've rightfully mentioned earlier.

Somewhere in an alternate non-Christian universe we probably have European Zodiac boxing with 'Capricorn fist' and 'Aquarius palm', 'Taurus style' etc. :D

Somewhere in an alternate non-Christian universe we probably have European Zodiac boxing with 'Capricorn fist' and 'Aquarius palm', 'Taurus style' etc. :D
Christians could counter with Seven Deadly Sins Styles and Seven Virtues Styles. <Moves>

Last edited:

i would guess that was more like war paint, maybe they get the "power" of the jaguar from eating its heart or what not but the still chopped people with their cuatal or whatever they are called instead of crawling around on all 4's and scratching like a jaguar.

i think war paint, and tattoos and all that stuff is pretty cool, im into it. Celtics did Woad, Maori had facial tattoos, Native americans had war paint, even war paint in the military at some point in history, all with the goal to intimidate. Alot of warfare tactics was to intimidate, i think the samurai tried to make their armor look scary, and i believe some of the roman tactics were to make themselves look bigger.

As their objective is to capture prisoners, I wonder if Aztec Jaguar and Eagle styles are very submission heavy.

This made me lol after reading of all the brutality of the Aztecs:
The Aztecs resistance was good and the fighters were brave. Both men and women fought against the Spaniards, but the odds were stacked against them and they had no chance against the brutal, foreign invasion force.

Back