Why Hasn't Max Holloway Stepped Up to Light Weight?

Because he has the belt at 145 and has to defend it.
I think he also wants to. but if a big money fight comes along he'd take it too. if/when he goes up, he'll at least vacate i think.

I don't understand why he needs to. He's only got a few title defenses.

He only has one defense. It's not a bad thing for him to stay at his division for a minute. Too many champs and even guys who aren't champs yet are talking about two divisions now without even being established as a great in their own divison. What if a fighter wins one title, wins another, then goes on a skid? Was he ever the greatest or was it a lucky break? Many guys could be champ and many guys could be two division champs if they're just thrown title shots without being an established highly ranked fighter. It's a number's game. Doesn't mean they wouldn't drop the ball immediately after though.

Because he has the belt at 145 and has to defend it.
What era are YOU from???

Belts are incidental. Defenses are compelling ideas at times but not as necessary as.... say a "superfight" (defined as anybody going up in class or down in class, resulting in a match up where a champ avoids a title defense)

This is the way to cut through the bush. Then strike a match and blaze that fkn trail, UFC....

Back