Why hasn't GSP ever been invited to do UFC Commentary?

Rationality

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I mean, say what you want about finishing or winning by decision, he is clearly a mastermind at picking fighters apart. I've seen a few videos where he and/or Firas did pre-fight breakdowns and I thought they were very interesting. If it was anyone but GSP his accent would be difficult, but he's got a genius fight IQ. I think it's wrong that he has never been allowed at the Fox Sports desk or done color commentary at a UFC fight.

He's not the smoothest when it comes to speaking English. I don't think it would translate well as a commentator.

Additionally, not everyone wants to hear about aliens while there is ground and pound going on in the cage.

He is definitely not fluid when speaking, accent is off and vocabulary range is non existent

I think the way he breaks each fighter's weaknesses down in detail is interesting though. For example after Penn 2 he said their strategy was to tire out BJs upper arms and keep oxygen from them so that he couldn't box as well. He completely stymied Nick Diaz to the point that Diaz accused him of having a spy in his camp. Wouldn't you want to hear him discuss how to beat Ngannou, Covington, Mighty Mouse, etc?

Perhaps if they require someone for the French broadcast, GSP would be a good fit. But in terms of English, he struggles with the language and has stated it several times in the past.

Probably because he's not a very good talker?

His English is good for a second language, but he'd be terrible to listen to for English speaking audiences.

Doesnt seem comfortable on the mic, not sure if its because of the language barrier he speaks english just fine imo.

Why?

" This guy, he iz the best. Toughest guy in the UFC. His opponent, smartest guy I know. These are two of the top fighters in the game. It is an honor to speak of such men. "

And that would be for a tuf runner up fight. GSP isn't the guy you want calling a fight.

We already have a robot in the commentary box, Anik.

I think the way he breaks each fighter's weaknesses down in detail is interesting though. For example after Penn 2 he said their strategy was to tire out BJs upper arms and keep oxygen from them so that he couldn't box as well. He completely stymied Nick Diaz to the point that Diaz accused him of having a spy in his camp. Wouldn't you want to hear him discuss how to beat Ngannou, Covington, Mighty Mouse, etc?

For sure, I'm always interested to hear fight plans and GSP and his team have always been top tier. I just don't think he'd do well commentating a live fight.

Probably because English is his second language. I know he's smart when it comes to breakdowns but he struggles to find the word he's looking for in English sometimes. Keep an eye out for it.

Yeah, he is a proud Canadian-frenchie, never gave too much fuck about improving his English. Some people up there are like that. They just know the necessary English to get by.

because he talks like the legendary amiga 500

Tough crowd tonight. GSP couldn't explain a UFC fight better than Anik? Sheesh.....

NO ACTIVE FIGHTER SHOULD EVER DO COMMENTARY

This I actually agree with, but it's not how the UFC has been rolling.
i don't mind one offs if it's like a #1 contender fight but too many biased fighters out there

then again

goldberg/rogan were both biased as fuck at times

Back