Why GSP > Fedor in GOAT Discussions

LukeTheTruth

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
- Fedor fought competition (mostly) that the UFC deemed not talented enough to sign.
- Fedor's competition also had easier competition.
- Fedor has faced 5 fighters who have competed at lower weight classes.
- Fedor has faced 6 fighters with a negative or winless record (which kind of proves point 1 and 2).
- Fedor started losing when he was 33 (2010), an age which many consider to be still in your physical prime.

- GSP avenged every one of his losses
- GSP holds the record for most consecutive rounds won as a champion for any organisation
- GSP just moved up in weight and won the Middleweight Championship after 4 years off at the age of 36

For those Discrediting bisping as a title fight:
- Bisping had just beaten Anderson, Rockhold and Hendo (That 185er who KO'd HW Fedor a few years back while being much older than him).
- Bisping has never been an easy fight for anyone at 185. The only time he was outclassed was against Rockhold the first time and TRT Vitor who was one of the biggest monsters MMA has ever seen.

For those who think Fedor was a natural LHW:
- Fedor is a natural HW as he never once made the LHW weight limit. The same way that Roy Nelson is a natural HW.

Some stats:
GSP: 26-2 = 92.85% Winrate
Opponents: 561 - 227 = 71.2% Winrate (83.4% if you only count their records until cut from the UFC).

Fedor: 36-5 = 87.8% Winrate
Opponents: 728 - 412 = 63.85% Winrate

Last edited:
They were both great in their own way, as was Anderson and Bones. There's so many variables and different types of opponents, and weight classes, etc... pointless argument, it's between those 4, I dont have a problem with you ranking GSP first, for me personally it's still Spider, but to each his own, is normal.

<6>

MjvfUyj.gif

I'm a HUGE GSP fan but I had to stop reading after the first sentence.

Are you new? Or trolling?

Which part are you struggling with? Its a known fact that the UFC can afford and attempts to sign the best MMA athletes, i guarantee the majority of people aren't choosing to fight in OneFC because they prefer it over the UFC.

Last edited:
They were both great in their own way, as was Anderson and Bones. There's so many variables and different types of opponents, and weight classes, etc... pointless argument, it's between those 4, I dont have a problem with you ranking GSP first, for me personally it's still Spider, but to each his own, is normal.

<6>

If i counted people who have had PED violations then i would have Jones at #1 and GSP/Silva Tied at 2nd. I rank Werdum above Fedor.

Last edited:
"Fedor fought competition (mostly) that the UFC deemed not talented enough to sign."

What?

You mean UFC couldn't afford. PRIDE kept signing their old champions away, and had tons more talent coming in while UFC was nothing more than a glorified national league with barely any international fighters.

"Fedor has faced 6 fighters with a negative or winless record (which kind of proves point 1 and 2)."

Then don't count them, count the other fighters he fought.

PRIDE had filler matches. Instead of champs fighting once a year or every 2 years, PRIDE had fighters fighting 2 or 3 times a year. It kept the fans happy, and the fighters active, and they collected a paycheck while at it.

Goat tall will always be subjective. To each their own

You've got to be trolling. Right? Please say you're trolling, otherwise you look like a complete idiot.

When Fedor fought in Pride all the best HWs were in Pride, not in the UFC. The UFC didn't deem Pride HWs not talented enough to sign, the UFC couldn't afford them. Then years later when they could they scooped them ALL up as quick as they could.

Seriously, when did you start watching MMA and how little do you know?

<LikeReally5>

Fedor first retired at the age of 35 at the end of 2012. Pride ended in 2006.
~ Big Nog signed to the UFC in 2007
~ Mirko signed to the UFC in 2007
~ Mark Coleman re-signed to the ufc in 2009
~ Mark Hunt signed to the UFC in 2010

There was plenty of Fedor prime to perform in the UFC. Don't act like the collapse of Pride in 2006 was at the end of Fedor's career.

He had the chance to prove himself prior to his retirement against:
~ Randy Couture
~ Brock Lesnar
~ JDS
~ Cain
~ Shane Carwin
~ Gonzaga
~ Frank Mir
~ Josh Barnett
~ Kongo
~ Roy Nelson

Rematches with:
~ Mark Hunt
~ Big Nog
~ Mirko

and many other athletes that would have mopped up competition in other organizations.

Instead he chose to dodge Overeem and fight the Brett Rogers of the world. His only win i consider impressive after pride is Andre Arvloski, considering Tim Sylvia had just been cut from the UFC and followed up by getting destroy by Ray Mercer.

Last edited:
Which part are you struggling with? Its a known fact that the UFC can afford and attempts to sign the best MMA athletes, i guarantee the majority of people aren't choosing to fight in OneFC because they prefer it over the UFC.
Fighters have gotten bigger paychecks to leave UFC and fight fedor elsewhere. Remember affliction?

Fighters have gotten bigger paychecks to leave UFC and fight fedor elsewhere. Remember affliction?

His 2 fights in affliction where
~ Arvloski (I thought this was at least proper competition)
~ Tim Sylvia (who did not choose to leave the UFC, he was cut). He also lost to Ray Mercer in his following fight.

His 2 fights in affliction where
~ Arvloski (I thought this was at least proper competition)
~ Tim Sylvia (who did not choose to leave the UFC, he was cut). He also lost to Ray Mercer in his following fight.
Tim Sylvia asked to be released from his contract. He wasn't cut

There was plenty of Fedor prime to perform in the UFC. Don't act like the collapse of Pride in 2006 was at the end of Fedor's career.

~ Randy Couture
~ Brock Lesnar
~ JDS
~ Cain
~ Shane Carwin
~ Gonzaga
~ Frank Mir
~ Josh Barnett
~ Kongo
~ Roy Nelson

Rematches with:
~ Mark Hunt
~ Big Nog
~ Mirko

and many other athletes that would have mopped up competition in other organizations.

Instead he chose to dodge Overeem and fight the Brett Rogers of the world. His only win i consider impressive after pride is Andre Arvloski, considering Tim Sylvia had just been cut and then went on one of the worst runs in MMA.

You kissy carwin as a credible fight that he avoided but then knock Rogers lol.

Rogers was 11-0 and had just knocked out the #2 hw. He was ranked higher than carwin and many of the fighters you listed.

After pride he fought two top 5 hws and destroyed them.

You kissy carwin as a credible fight that he avoided but then knock Rogers lol.

Rogers was 11-0 and had just knocked out the #2 hw. He was ranked higher than carwin and many of the fighters you listed.

After pride he fought two top 5 hws and destroyed them.

The only people he beat after pride, that would be considered top 5 in the UFC at the time where Arvloski and i suppose Tim Sylvia (but we all saw how his post-UFC career turned out).

Brett rogers had 10 wins, 8 of which don't even have wiki pages available.

~ Randy Couture
~ Brock Lesnar
~ JDS
~ Cain
~ Shane Carwin
~ Gonzaga
~ Frank Mir
~ Josh Barnett
~ Kongo
~ Roy Nelson

Rematches with:
~ Mark Hunt
~ Big Nog
~ Mirko

Instead he chose to dodge Overeem and fight the Brett Rogers of the world. His only win i consider impressive after pride is Andre Arvloski, considering Tim Sylvia had just been cut from the UFC and followed up by getting destroy by Ray Mercer.
PRIDE ended in 2007. Nobody knew what was happening for the rest of the year.

He fought in Affliction in 2008 and 2009.

He fought in Strikeforce in 2010 and 2011.

He had already been fighting for 12 or 13 years when the UFC finally had the best HW division.(after UFC absorbed Strikeforce)

Back