Why exactly did they not let Weidman continue?

Why didn't the doctors let him continue? By the time they called it, he looked fine.

I think that when he thought it was being looked at as an illegal hit, he figured out Moose was a tougher opponent than he expected (not that he couldn't of still won) and said to himself..."fuck it. A wins a win!" Who knows how this fight'll turn out, better to be on the safe side and not have three straight defeats.

So when asked, I think he said he couldn't continue thinking Moose will get DQ'd. Then when Miragliola told him it was legal, he ended up saying he can continue. But the doctors were already like... "Umm, no, you already told us you can't continue!"

Just like when a fighter gets poked in the eye, if he says he can't see, it's over! Even if he recants his statement afterwords.
Maybe, but I think he was seriously hurt. Watch the last minute of the actual fight. He was getting tagged, and then got those vicious knees. Jebus, he sounded like he was retarded in the after fight interview.

I dont get people that are trying to shit on him for not wanting to continue after eating 2 Mousasi knees. He was told that he was hit with an illegal knee. He was hurt. That's playing well by the rules. There's no written nor unwritten rule that you have to tough it out after eating illegal blows. That usually ends badly for you. Check Bisping - Rivera eg.

So what happens? He's then informed that through replays (assume here that replays are allowed), told that the second knee was in fact legal.

So what happens? He says he can continue fighting. Why are you guys shitting on him for this? He was hurt, he was fine with the DQ win. Now the ref is changing his ruling, why can't Weidman change his too? He said he's good to go. Obviously the situation has changed.

Did the doc even evaluate him? He was just hit by 2 devastating knees. Perhaps legitimately he couldn't remember what day it was. You think Frankie remembered what month and day it was when Maynard knocked him down 3 times and Frankie did everything he could to survive? You think Wonderboy remembered his calendar after Woodley put his lights out temporarily in the rematch, before Wonderboy recovered?

This is combat sports man. A lot of times when you're hurt, you're just fighting out of instincts- out of muscle memory. That's why you see guys trying to fight the ref sometimes after the fight has been called.

Does that mean that Weidman was incapable of fighting? He wasn't even knocked out. As per Nevada rules, you can only review a fight-ending blow. This wasn't a fight ending blow, he wasn't even knocked down by it. But yea obviously it dazed him.

Why didn't the ref ask him some questions again? Or why didn't she check his pupil dilation, his motor function. He seemed to be moving around just fine. He wasn't off-balaned or anything.

Next time someone hits you in face really really hard, lets see how many things YOU remember on the spot. Hell I've read about guys here who have trained saying they freeze up from time to time, the body doesn't respond, they can't hear their corners or anything- when they are competing. This was in response to Rumble's performance. Yea, this shit happens.

The fight should have continued. Chris was fine. If it was a matter of technicality, they should have evaluated him again AFTER reversing the ruling. They're changing their details, why can't Chris?

I was really shocked that they stopped it then and there. If Chris faceplanted after eating the knee, okay, understandable. He just took some hard shots and decided fuck Mousasi for kneeing from that position, thinking he was just illegally struck by an opponent.

The whole thing was sketchy as fuck, and I just couldn't believe they stopped the fight. I paid to see that fight man. There was no ko, no tko... There was no cut. There was no submission. And there was still time left on the clock. Bullshit.

Edit: Holy shit that turned out to be a long rant
tl, dr- fight should have continued :p

Last edited:
it should have been one of those once the doc ruled he couldn't continue.

NY doesn't allow video replays, therefore the illegal knee ruling should have been upheld.

I'm not faulting Big Mirg, it was close and upon first look appeared to be illegal. I'm faulting the system in place they have.

NY does allow video replays. Stop spreading this trash. The precedent was set ages ago when a boxer sued them over a similar situation. Clear TKO for Mousasi. Weidman's fault for not showing the doctors he was capable of continuing.

That rule is a joke. Might as well ban knees from the front headlock outright so we won't have any more of this nonsense and these guys won't have to eat these knees trying to game.

This, sadly.

It took those fuckers like 10 years to rewrite this rule, and it's still a mess.

Ref needs to have perfect view and snake on a steel roof reflex all the time....

Because of politics and corruption. He was deemed by the ref and/or doctor to have a concussion, and apparently that's enough for the fight to be stopped. Even though concussions are extremely frequent and fights carry on all the time after fighters have received them. Mousasi probably had a concussion too.

It's a bullshit stoppage.

Why didn't the doctors let him continue? By the time they called it, he looked fine.

I think that when he thought it was being looked at as an illegal hit, he figured out Moose was a tougher opponent than he expected (not that he couldn't of still won) and said to himself..."fuck it. A wins a win!" Who knows how this fight'll turn out, better to be on the safe side and not have three straight defeats.

So when asked, I think he said he couldn't continue thinking Moose will get DQ'd. Then when Miragliola told him it was legal, he ended up saying he can continue. But the doctors were already like... "Umm, no, you already told us you can't continue!"

Just like when a fighter gets poked in the eye, if he says he can't see, it's over! Even if he recants his statement afterwords.

Hang on a sec; Weidman got hit with two knees to the head (which were legal) in real time, I think, most people thought were illegal - definitely the last one. Miragliotta thought one or both were illegal and told Weidman to take 5. People go on as if he was rolling around the ground clutching his face in agony. He sat down and held his hand over the side of his head/face were he'd being kneed.

Nothing has come out where Weidman has said he wasn't able to continue - I think his corner told him to use the 5 minutes. It should have being left at that.

Instead one Doctor came in to assess him and as this was going on, McCarthy seemed to inform Miragliotta they were legal knees - and by this time there was a second Doctor in the cage giving him a roadside DUI test. Watch back shortly after that and you see the woman who was announcing the fighters weight at the weigh ins - she has short blonde hair and glasses - she jumps up on the canvas and Miragliotta approaches her and she waves her hand and probably tells Miragliotta to call the fight off as he immediately done that after approaching her.

McCarthy seemed to made the cock up by informing Miragliotta, which was essentially reviewing the replay which Cruz and Ratner on the broadcast said the NYAC don't use. Then a couple of days later they announced they do use it all of a sudden.

I'd love to see some of the heroes on here take those two knees to the head and see how they feel after it.

If the doctor asked him and he said he couldnt continue.....why would they ask him again when the knees were ruled legal a few mins later?? And what exactly was the deciding factor to stop the fight?
The police may ask you if you have been drinking when he stops you. People really have to stop taking every word spoken as if it is the law. The doctor made a judgment call based on the information he had. Whatever the doctor said or though before that is irrelevant.

Back