Why exactly did the UFC get rid of Rory McDonald?

Dream20

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
He brings the Canadian market now that GSP is out.

Still young and has several big wins for example over the current champion.

Kill or be killed fighting style.

I guess he was asking for a lot of money but isn't he worth it?

Needle mover?

they didnt he left at the end of his contract on his own to bellator

not a needle mover, lost twice to one champ and had just lost to the next contender. still a stupid decision to cut him though.

Rory thought he was worth as much as the Diaz bros.

Boy, was he wrong.

He had his shot and lost..second place wanted more money then UFC was willing to pay.

He got about sixty grand for his last fight and wanted more. Extremely short sighted of the ufc for not offering a better contract. The Canadians are great fans and now that gsp isn't around he could have been their hero. They've also helped their competition by letting him go.

If Bellator are really paying him 400k I can see why the UFC didn't want to match it. Back then Lawler looked like he'd be Champ forever and Rory had already lost to him twice.

Also remember that the UFC are fighting an anti-trust lawsuit and occasionally losing highly ranked guys like Rory is good for their case.

He tested out free agency after he was no longer under contract, and accepted the best offer that he received. I think he was particularly miffed over the low amount he got for the Lawler fight considering it was the best fight of the year and a brutal war, so he decided he'd rather fight elsewhere.

They didnt want to pay him what he is worth,bellator are paying him 400k to show apparently the ufc valued him at like 60/60

Rory made a savvy business decision, and his stock has risen since the Daley fight for sure. When he wins the Bellator championship he will be worth the big UFC money riding on this high wave, and I really hope he can make it back to the UFC.

Why did the UFC release Rory? His stock had gone down after 2 losses in a row, and if there's a duller media personality out there I'd like to know who that is. He's a very intelligent dude, but he's - as my father used to say - dull as whaleshit.

Last edited:
Money.

Ufc has a ton of debt. They are also trying to meet financial objectives. They aren't looking for long term investments; they are looking for short term gain.

They think his personality isn't worth what he deserves when it comes to money.

Rory thought he was worth as much as the Diaz bros.

Boy, was he wrong.

400k a fight says he is worth more. Nate only got more because Conor. He doesn't pull shit alone

Last edited:
After reading some of these posts, I can't say I'm surprised that so many of you have it wrong.

You guys are on mma forums all day and you still don't know shit. How is that possible?

He doesn't throw water bottles at press conferences like a child throwing a temper tantrum nor does he show late and fucked up to press conferences in a bathrobe and dance around like retard.

Bad behavior is rewarded my friend. If you act civilized and wear suits and conduct yourself as a decent human being then Dana just can't pay you.

Back