Why dont you see a traditional high guard very often in mma?

Austin Harbourne

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Why dont you see a traditional high guard in mma? Hands high to the cheekbones like a peek a boo guard. Thoughts please?

gloves too small to actually prevent blockage
longer to time to stuff takedowns

Shogun, Aldo, Barboza and RDA either used to use a highguard or still use it intermittently. The best example right now of a highguard is probably Vicente Luque. You should watch his last fight against Niko Price, he looked fucking awesome in that fight. His last few fights he has really sharpened up. He uses the highguard a lot, but he doesn't overly rely on it as he like to appear to be stationary and then especially slip the the inside and come over the top with the right hand. He's also very good at slipping outside into takedowns or clinch. Here is from his fight before Price:

And here's the Price finish (but do yourself a favour and watch the entire fight):

Can't really think of any MMA fighters that uses something simular to a peak-a-boo style, but then again not many boxers do either. Maybe Cyborg a little bit in her last few fights? Pearson using slips and rolls a lot and sometimes a high guard. Bermudez tries to come forward a lot with hands up and a slip and roll, but he always gets caught. Rampage was pretty good at using a highguard when attacked and parrying the shots. I'm sure there are others more relevant to the conversation.

Shogun, Aldo, Barboza and RDA either used to use a highguard or still use it intermittently. The best example right now of a highguard is probably Vicente Luque. You should watch his last fight against Niko Price, he looked fucking awesome in that fight. His last few fights he has really sharpened up. He uses the highguard a lot, but he doesn't overly rely on it as he like to appear to be stationary and then especially slip the the inside and come over the top with the right hand. He's also very good at slipping outside into takedowns or clinch. Here is from his fight before Price:

And here's the Price finish (but do yourself a favour and watch the entire fight):

Can't really think of any MMA fighters that uses something simular to a peak-a-boo style, but then again not many boxers do either. Maybe Cyborg a little bit in her last few fights? Pearson using slips and rolls a lot and sometimes a high guard. Bermudez tries to come forward a lot with hands up and a slip and roll, but he always gets caught. Rampage was pretty good at using a highguard when attacked and parrying the shots. I'm sure there are others more relevant to the conversation.

K

Thank you. I Really apreciate the input

K

Thank you. I Really apreciate the input
Didn't really address the peakaboo thing (I kinda missed that untill the end of the post), as the ones I described initially are more MT high guard, but no problem.

Back