Why don't we ever see elbows to the body?

AJay

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Have you ever see anyone lower their level and throw an elbow to someones kidneys or ribs? Yeah me either, why is that? It seems like it would be an awkward shot but the same way you drop your level to throw punches at the body couldn't you do the same with elbows? Especially shorter people. I can picture a clean spinning elbow cracking the side of someone's ribs and hurting them bad.

This is one of those things that you can just go try out and you'll figure out why not pretty quickly.

we don't see elbows to the body because Mighty Mouse won't fight guys who are over 4 feet tall

I've seen some spear elbows to the body, but they aren't a go to technique. The situation where it's better to spear an elbow to the body than to do pretty much anything else is rare.

In combat sports are rare but I do know a kung fu style, Baji quan, which is all about
elbows in the body at close range.

In this video, there are several applications of elbows, but if you are bored you can have a look at 0:48-2:00
where it's used with an inside slip to a jab and at 2:48 after slipping outside the right hand.
The elbows are delivered near the armpit area.

I think if they are drilled probably they might be useful.

Mayberry is that way

images

Because:

A. you'll hardly be in a position to use them

B. your opponent will hardly be in a position for you to use them, and

C. in the event you are in a position to use them, there are much more valuable options your opponent is vulnerable too in such situations.

Ironically it's most common in boxing from a low guard. It's technically cheating though

If your close enough to elbow someone, they can elbow you and I would rather be elbowed in the ribs than elbowed in the head.

Or even better.....you elbow someone in the body they knee you in the head, let's see which one stops who first....

When I did Muay Thai I did this quite a bit. Because I noticed many other kicking stylists didn't change levels well. And responding with knees took a bit more leverage and timing than most MT practitioners I came across were used to needing. But I'd say use it sparingly and wisely against savvy opponents.

Back